Best online live rock supply?????

Ryand63

Looking to order some live rock online for the first time....what are all of yours favorite sites that are quality yet affordable?

I've been looking at aquatictech, Marco Rocks and Captain Liverock. Best prices I can find, but I don't know how great of a product they have.

i would investigate your surrounding lfs first, maybe ask fellow reefers in your city(goto the reef-club section) where they got there lr from. i was gonna order rock online but didnt wanna pay shipping costs/outrageous prices.... etc..... my fellow local reefers turned me onto a great lfs which i ended up getting rock there for $5.99/lb with the benefits of choosing your rock from a tank, and minimal pest hitchhikers (so far only a single aiptasia).

check my avatar or click here to see my rock: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=6101&pictureid=43072

totoka/tukani mix

A lot of time you can get great deals on a local reef club forum. I have seen people getting out of the hobby and selling LR for $2 or $3 a pound.

Well, if he wants truly live rock then I would go with Tampa Bay Saltwater. I went with them and they were great. You get a ton of life...some good, some bad. I got a few bad things...a handful of gorilla crabs and a couple whelks. I got a ton of cool stuff though including a decorator crab, some corals, some really nice larger sponges (ornage, yellow, and blue), some tunicates, hermits, snails, anemones, etc. TBS rocks are actually rocks that were aquacultured in the ocean (placed there by Richard to build up life over the years) while I believe marco live rocks are aquacultured in their greenhouses so not actually in the ocean. Don't know what type of life they have besides the 'good' bacteria since they aren't actually pulled from the ocean. I think it really depends on whether tje original poster wants live rock from the ocean or not.

Reefcleaner rocks while nice are not live rocks. They are dry rock. When I set my larger tank up, I will be setting up with mostly dry rock and then seeding with a few live rocks from TBS.

Get a few pieces of LR then get dry rock and it will seed itself. Although good live rock is fine from the deep blue yonder, I wouldn't want to chance a hitch hiker that I didnt see to do "XYZ" to my tank, Corals, or its inhabitants. Just my opinion though l.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I loved my LR from Premium Aquatics!! If you have a bigger tank & the patience you would be cheaper off to use dry rock & seed with some fully cured LR. My rock came with tons of coraline on it, a little cheato in 2 spots & I've ended up with lots of feather dusters & pineapple sponges too. I had some beautiful plating coraline that is popping back up after being eaten by a turbo snail.

I loved my Tampa Bay Saltwater rock. Here's a thread I posted on their sponsor forum:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110330

Yeah, there were some bad things like a bunch of gorilla crabs-- ended up throwing them into the sump. I also got two mantis shrimp. Lots of people fear them, but they've turned into my (and my son's) two favorite creatures even after fully stocking the tank. And as for the rest, it all makes for a far more interesting tank.

For example, one night, I saw two whelks corner a gorilla crab in a crevice and then eat it alive. It was a pretty dramatic moment of nature in action. The sponges TBS threw in didn't last too long. Pretty but impractical in my tank. But even the bad critters have been fascinating to watch and deal with.

Back