Best way to keep Brine Shrimp....

Pretty awesome method you have going there for feeding the ponies. But therein lies the reason I no longer keep em. Lol

just get the cheapest. To remove the eggs I just turn off air pump and put a flashlight at the bottom and the brine go to the light and eggs float. I syphon out and put the brine in a bigger container. If you want to come by I can give you a 6 month supply and show you how to do it. I put them everywhere and after a day they're gone. I've only been able to breed them on a 5 gallon bucked that i forgot I had and a few months later it was full of adults and babies all over.
You sure that wasn't mosquito larvae, LOL!:eek2:

I have a pair of mandarins and I've spent a lot of money on pods2go. Should I continue just buying 1000 pods or should I try the brine hatchery? If so, after reading this thread I am still clueless. How much of a pain is it? Sounds like a lot of work.

Yes, it's work. Has to how much of a pain, depends on how you actually feel about that work. Used to be a daily part of my old job, so it's something I do without giving it much thought. Some hobbyists find enough positives to the end result to gladly do the work, others find it a pain the backside. IMO, I'd try hard to get those Mandarins trained to frozen Mysis. Gives you more options for feeding them ;)

brine shrimp ratio per 5 gal vessel..

brine shrimp ratio per 5 gal vessel..

Hello... I have looked everywhere but I cannot find the proper ratio to add newly hatched brine to a 5/gal vessel of water. I know 1/2 teaspoon of unhatched eggs are around 200k for 92% hatch rate and I've tried as little as 1/4 teaspoon but the culture fails. What would be a descent amount of eggs per 5/gals to raise to adults? I have been feeding yeast (Rodi rich) but now I have spiralina and will try that. Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry S.

I bought a hatchery kit at All Pet, place it inside a glass bowl, added salt water 1.019(I use water from aquarium with RO water) a plant LED bulb, 1/2 teaspoon cyst from FAQ and twelve hour later, I have hundreds of babies. It takes me five minutes a day. I use a batch a day. I'm culturing Phyto too.
Oh, forgot you need an air pump.

Last edited:
Hello... I have looked everywhere but I cannot find the proper ratio to add newly hatched brine to a 5/gal vessel of water. I know 1/2 teaspoon of unhatched eggs are around 200k for 92% hatch rate and I've tried as little as 1/4 teaspoon but the culture fails. What would be a descent amount of eggs per 5/gals to raise to adults? I have been feeding yeast (Rodi rich) but now I have spiralina and will try that. Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry S.

To raise to adults, try about 1/4 of that 1/4 teaspoon to start with. Are you doing any sort of filtering? If not, a sponge filter on a very low flow could help maintain water quality. Also don't overfeed with the RotiRich and spirulina, they foul water very fast. Just a little bit, not quite enough to cloud the water ;) One of the reasons I've always preferred live phyto, it doesn't foul the water and crash the culture if you overfeed.

But if I'm feeding right after hatching with all nutritional values, why raise as adult and gut load, it may be a good idea for reefers that buy them as adult at LFS?

Larger shrimp make for an easier food target, less shrimp for the same nutritional value so easier for the fish to get them all.

Some fish won't go after something as small as newly hatched baby brine shrimp.

Adult Brine

Adult Brine

First off ....thank you for all of the responses....

Yes, that is what I have in mind is gut loading for my larger fish, I'll still use bbs for the smaller ones, lps and to feed thousands of mysid that are in the tank and fuge. That has been a debate here on whether or not adult brine are nutritious and they are and actually contain protein and after you gut load them they are even better. Keeps the fish active and helps satisfy their predator mode.

Bill said;To raise to adults, try about 1/4 of that 1/4 teaspoon to start with. Are you doing any sort of filtering?

So Bill ....your saying to only use about 1/4 teaspoon of eggs per the 5/gal and I don't filter because I do 15/gal partials every weekend on my display tank (120) and I have storage containers that I keep filled and inoculated with sodium hypo (neutralized before I use the culture water with thio-sulfate) and will do 50% partials on these 5/gal vessels once a week. I also raise phyto, but it's for my rotifers and tisbe so I am trying roti-rich and or spiralina (spiralina ok?) and already purchased it.

Thanks again everyone,
Jerry S.

First off ....thank you for all of the responses....

Yes, that is what I have in mind is gut loading for my larger fish, I'll still use bbs for the smaller ones, lps and to feed thousands of mysid that are in the tank and fuge. That has been a debate here on whether or not adult brine are nutritious and they are and actually contain protein and after you gut load them they are even better. Keeps the fish active and helps satisfy their predator mode.

Bill said;To raise to adults, try about 1/4 of that 1/4 teaspoon to start with. Are you doing any sort of filtering?

So Bill ....your saying to only use about 1/4 teaspoon of eggs per the 5/gal and I don't filter because I do 15/gal partials every weekend on my display tank (120) and I have storage containers that I keep filled and inoculated with sodium hypo (neutralized before I use the culture water with thio-sulfate) and will do 50% partials on these 5/gal vessels once a week. I also raise phyto, but it's for my rotifers and tisbe so I am trying roti-rich and or spiralina (spiralina ok?) and already purchased it.

Thanks again everyone,
Jerry S.

1/4 of that 1/4 teaspoon would be 1/16 of a teaspoon. Basically aiming for a very low bioload. Would probably pay to dose some Amquell (or other such ammonia detoxifier) as well.

Brine...

Brine...

Thanks again Bill, I use chlor x on my roti's and I'll use it on my brine too.

I see your name everywhere on here and you are a wealth of knowledge it seems and your a diver too + 1. I'm NSSCDS Certified since 97 and was open water since 68, got certified in the keys and lived in Tavenier until I moved to Gainesville FL (UF) in 76. Tried reef tanks way back then but not much luck, collected locally before that was bad taboo and didn't know any better... look at the hobby now, fragging trading tank grown animals with others in the hobby. Ain't it great! Who would have known back in the 60's with my metal framed tanks and internal filters with spun fiber glass, chunks of charcoal and an air pump that we would have the technology, a good knowledge of husbandry and deep pockets to facilitate such an endeavor. :dance:

Thanks again,
Jerry S.

Idk about breeding them but I put them in tubawear and they stay alive for weeks as I feed them to my display, I just throw in some flakes in there to enrich them.

I do not, I just leave them in the tubaware and call it a day. did you guys ever have sea monkeys when you were kids? Brine shrimp are sea monkeys all I do is take a turkey baster and suck up a portion and drop back in new water from my diplay as a mini water change when I feed the display.

Back