Big news for angelfish fans of RCT

Yahoo! Thanks Copps!!
PS...get Call of Duty- Modern Warfare 2- for when the wife and son are asleep...so much fun!!
Thank you for the update!!
Time to reset my obsession clock!

ps...now that we have also read about Korans, Semicircles, and possibly Annularis being bred, and maybe even crossbreeding...anyone thinkin these are what Frank will also be kicking out?
Personally, I would not, would rather see something real special...although a homegrown Annularis could be cool...especially if it did cross with a Koran or Semi...

That's awesome news John. Mucho thanks for the updates all around!!!

Hey guys, sorry for coming in late on this, but do not be worried! I've been extremely busy between work and fish travel. I've spoken for reef clubs in Minnesota, Utah, and Ohio in the past month, and made a trip out to visit Kevin Kohen at Live Aquaria in Wisconsin. I was just in Amelia Island Florida last week for work and the first morning I went to work I was greeted by 25 degree temperatures... in Florida! In addition to this my wife and I got our six year old son and three year old daughter the Wii for Christmas... not since I was a kid have I played Super Mario (not counting Mario Carts which I played at my frat house in college, but that was made a drinking game).

I've been in touch with Frank and the fish are doing well... his projections for growth rates were off and so the release has been delayed a bit... remember these are angelfish that have never been done before, so be patient.

Copps

Hey guys, sorry for coming in late on this, but do not be worried! I've been extremely busy between work and fish travel. I've spoken for reef clubs in Minnesota, Utah, and Ohio in the past month, and made a trip out to visit Kevin Kohen at Live Aquaria in Wisconsin. I was just in Amelia Island Florida last week for work and the first morning I went to work I was greeted by 25 degree temperatures... in Florida! In addition to this my wife and I got our six year old son and three year old daughter the Wii for Christmas... not since I was a kid have I played Super Mario (not counting Mario Carts which I played at my frat house in college, but that was made a drinking game).

I've been in touch with Frank and the fish are doing well... his projections for growth rates were off and so the release has been delayed a bit... remember these are angelfish that have never been done before, so be patient.

Copps

Great news...thanks! Glad to hear that everything is on track. :D

ps...now that we have also read about Korans, Semicircles, and possibly Annularis being bred, and maybe even crossbreeding...anyone thinkin these are what Frank will also be kicking out?
Personally, I would not, would rather see something real special...although a homegrown Annularis could be cool...especially if it did cross with a Koran or Semi...

Considering the challenges involved, I think any captive-bred angelfish is special. ;)

a very valid point...and all the breeding success with angels, large and small, is awesome...but i really hope that frank has something special up his sleeve, and knowing the track record of rct, i am sure we will all be blown away...

i am sure it would be those which are rare/rare to catch in the wild...hence wrasses and dwarf angels...may be personatus in big angel group..

last year rufus kimura(freedive 43 here) wrote about a plan to catch peppermint angel...i won't be surprised if they managed to get a hand on some pairs...though long shot..:hammer:

That's what I really meant by disappointing - the fact that they're going trough retail outlets instead of selling directly to hobbiest. I'm definitely going to try to pick up a pair if not a harem but truthfully I hope PIA is going to sell them not DD; it's less transport time and I can see DD charging a pretty penny for them.

Glad we finally have an update! Bummer about not selling direct for sure. Also was hoping for a pure species but hybrids are cool too....

Prettier than the previous hybrid in my opinion but I guess it is part of a taxonomy/evolution research more than the search of a pretty hybrid ("guessing mode" on).
I hope they have other announcements this year too.

Downside:
Since he isn't pumping out fish very fast, it is disappointing to see them using a wholesaler.

I work for a LFS and we only get one order a week, so it would be pretty close to impossible for me to get one through them. Not that I'm in the market to spend that kind of money, but still for those who are.

It would be better if he paired up with a site like PIA so people can get them direct from them at least. And then he would be supporting another local business (local to him).

Upside:
Thats a damn cool fish, and hope it goes to some worthy people.

Also, it seems he is trying to cross all the argi complex, which if he is would be a groundbreaking study and could change angelfish taxonomy.

Real cool work, and at least he is sharing the product of it with the public. It does seem like there is another motive rather than selling fish at work here, but still it's not often that home hobbyists get the chance to own a part of such great work.

Back