Big news for angelfish fans of RCT

few pages ago i told that direct sale to hobbyist is unlikely to happen..

he did the right thing...because there are a limited no. of this angelfish,it is best to go through the importer chain...direct sale to hobbyist risk DOA/sick condition more due to the complicity a address may create.....also bypassing wholesalers won't help him in the long run,as he has a better chance to grab bigger market via them....

Props to them for putting so much work into breeding ornamental marine fish, but I have to say I'm pretty disheartened that kind of effort is going into hybrids when there are so many species that could use the help. I'm sure there is a market for hybrids, just like there's a market for flowerhorns and parrot cichlids, but it would be nice to see greater effort going into projects that could take some pressure off of wild fish populations instead.

I think to most of us it seems dissapointing cause we know what it was like and how many fish species he was raising and how easy it was to just contact them and order some. If Frank never had done this before I am sure this would seem like the most wonderful news EVER. But we expect to just pick back up where Frank left off when he stopped.

Now, with that said, I would like to know and I think he should state what other species he is working on or will be selling in the near future. And, Yes, was this the BIG news we were waiting for? Or is there more?

In fairness to RCT, they're actually selling the hybrid and the African pygmy angel, not just the hybrid.

Copps mentioned that the projected grow-out rates had been off, so I'm pretty sure there are more species in the pipeline. I just wish we knew which retailers were carrying them!

No desire to jump through hoops for hybrids.

PIA not being allowed to carry them puts a bit of a sour taste in my mouth as well.

So there is a whole write up about Frank's two new clutches on the ************ website. It said Quality Marine is getting them. I had my lfs call and it seems like QM is only getting four in...tonight!

And get this...THEY'RE GOING TO AUCTION THEM ON MONDAY

Go figure...

It seems to me that all of this has been handled somewhat clumsily, starting off with the lengthy lack of updates on the website. I can certainly understand that their projected growout dates were off...but why not say something to that effect, instead of just remaining silent--and leaving the October 2011 release date up for months afterwards--instead?

And why the continued paucity of information on the website? Why not a mention of some of the expected upcoming species--not to mention who's going to be selling their livestock? Why are they being so cryptic? We're all having to rely on blogs and word-of-mouth to find out what's going on.

And while I can understand that well-heeled Japanese aquarists, with their deep pockets and appreciation of rare fish, might be their primary market, why are so few fish going to the US? I don't mean to come down on RCT or downplay their considerable accomplishments, but I worry that they risk alienating the potential customers stateside who have been eagerly waiting for their livestock, only to feel confused, under-informed, and frustrated.

seeing how 2 interruptus still unsold in DD for so long and so does wrought-iron butterfly both under $2500,who would rely on US market...?!:bum:

Having been on a break from the hobby when some of you were snatching up RCT's fish (so I'm not spoiled)....

Wouldn't you want the product of CB efforts distributed through the normal channels? At least when there's critical mass? I hit refresh multiple times a day for months for a shot - but I can't say I'm dissapointed. I just sort of see it as the first steps of the progression.

Well perhaps disappointed on what's available ;)

seeing how 2 interruptus still unsold in DD for so long and so does wrought-iron butterfly both under $2500,who would rely on US market...?!:bum:

2.5G is the highest price in the world I ever heard of.
They are much cheaper in Asia.
No need to blame American market for that.

I guess you guys are disappointed cause you wanted to see the fish go to online stores that would have sold the fish cheaper than it is now.

It was pretty obvious QM will get the fish , I remember they were getting quite a few resplendens and interruptus on the last time Frank was breeding them.
I still kick myself for not getting a few resplendens then, i remember visiting QM looking at the fish and then decided not to buy, big mistake.

I think Frank did the right choice.

There is probably not so many of them and selling them through QM and then LFS will be the right way.

I hope more species will be coming soon.

Back