Birdsnest Care

FSOL

Hey guys,

Please tell me what type of flow and light birdsnests do best in? I bought a huge piece today (about 7" in diameter) that was in a showtank and I want to make sure it's happy in my tank.

Thanks

My birdnest doubles in size every 6 months and is real vivid dark pink. It is placed 6" from a 400watt 10k bulb with medium flow.

Pics? There are a couple of different types of birdsnest out there and they can require a slightly different placement.

lighting depends on the color. Pink needs high light other variations go in medium light. High flow and PRISTINE water. I find birdsnest as somewhat difficult although others disagree. As long as your water is in good shape you are good to go.

if it is a large colony it will need heavy flow to keep the inside alive

Well when I look at some of the branches under it, they are a nice pink/light purple in color, but this is just a few branches that are hidden under the main branches. The main branches are not pinkish, they are kind of dirty orange/brownish in color and show nice fuzzy texture (I'm assuming birdsnests have PE also).

I keep a frag of birdnest hysterix near the bottom of my reef, about 20 inches away from the water surface and it's been doing well, growing and maintaining it pink colour with hardly any hint of browness, it has stumped me....

Can anyone explain?

hi guys

i really dont think they are too hard like ceegee said it bout placement i have 2 one green and a purple birdnest bout 15-18in
below my halides they looking good. just read try to find out exactly what species u have then go from there.

happy reefing everyone

carlos

Here's a pic of the birdsnest. I have it under Phoenix 14k's (250W) and it's about 2.5 feet under the bulbs w/ medium flow on it.

IMG_1354.jpg

Notice the thick branches and dense growth? That indicates that the colony came from a high energy environment where water movement is fast.

I would give it good water movement. How the colony grow in your tank will also depend on what env. you give it. Studies have shown that corals in high energy env. take almost twice as long to reach the same size as a colony growing in a low energy env. but the skeleton is twice as dense (thicker branches, denser colony).

I have my S. hystrix right in front a of Tunze 6025 (2500L/h) and it shows full PE and very fast growth.

I can see PE on this thing, but it's not like the PE you see on acros. It's just some fuzzy stuff on the branches that don't seem to be moving around.
I didn't place it in direct flow area, fearing of tissue loss. When I put my hand in the water to feel the tunze stream's flow, the birdsnest sits right where the width of the tunze stream's flow comes to an end. So if I was to move the tunze a little to the right, it would directly hit the birdsnest, but gently of course.

It needs good flow. Looks really healthy too. I have one exactly like it and it is in a medium flow area with strong light.

This used to be a pink birdsnest, judging from some of the pink branches I see deep underneath. Will it be possible to bring the pink back, and if so, how? Like I said earlier, right now it's orange/light brown in color.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9023689#post9023689 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NICERICAN4YOU25
hi guys

i really dont think they are too hard like ceegee said

that is why I said others have different opinions. I stand steadily by what I said about your water has to be in pristine shape with these corals if not the ends will die off and algae will grow there. I have seen it firsthand. As long as you don't have high phosphate and nitrate you are good to go. It is just a matter of finding the right placement if all else is in line.

IME this coral and the ORA Chips Acro are the canary in the coal mine.

i have mine in heavy flow, about 2/3 of the way down in the tank, a bit to the side of the 400w 20k
P1183572.jpg

Love those Birds nest years ago i had one the size of a 16 in. solfball. I didn't have enough current and started getting alge on it before you no it it was gone. Great looking peaces.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9020582#post9020582 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twon8
if it is a large colony it will need heavy flow to keep the inside alive

Exactly...Birdsnests usually have a very thick growth pattern and require strong flow to penetrate the inside of the colony. Really nice find.

Back