bitwise's Red Sea Reefer 170

Tank is looking great. Nice choice on the ati lighting.

Thanks, still working on the algae. I'm a fan of the light, for sure. I actually took out the fans from the fixture today to clean them out and I have to say I'm impressed with the quality of the fixture.

mndfreeze, thanks for all the tips. I'm still going down the GFO path and skipping the fuge. On my next tank I guarantee there will be a fuge. :)

Hi bitwise how are you in the fight with the algae?
Have you stopped kz products? I am curious because I have set up a red sea 170 and use the kz products. Has noticed that it is very sensitive and easy to overdose in such a small aquarium.

Best regards

I’ve got one of these tanks, got it last summer. Love this tank! Only thing I don’t like is the overflow control. I can’t seem to keep it from either overflowing through the emergency pipe, or going too low and making all sorts of noise. That dial sucks at adjusting the level.

Same problem here, it can work perfectly for several days and then you have to adjust again. Has seen that several owners have replaced the valve for a crane instead.

Attachments

• spear.jpg
    spear.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
+1 on the drain adjustments, I feel like I'm adjusting it every 4 - 5 days at least.

syd: I've stopped dosing KZ products for the time being. I went on vacation for about 2 weeks in late September and came back to a tank full of algae. The algae was pretty bad before I went on vacation.

Since then I've been manually removing algae and went back to what was starting to work for me in July. It looks like things are getting better, I'm hopeful.

I'll see where I'm at next weekend and maybe I'll post some pics.

I think I'm learning first hand to only change a single thing at a time. I'm hopeful I can eradicate the algae in my tank by maintaining very low phosphates, and not changing anything else. Then I can start to experiment with coral foods and such.

I think I'm learning first hand to only change a single thing at a time. I'm hopeful I can eradicate the algae in my tank by maintaining very low phosphates, and not changing anything else. Then I can start to experiment with coral foods and such.

This is the general rule, but the hardest to follow for me. I'm getting better at it.

syd: here are some photos from tonight.

As you can see from the photos, still battling some algae problems. The biggest eye sore in my opinion is the rocks.

I tested my alk for the first time since 10/23 yesterday and found it was down about 1.5 dKH from normal. I've found that using GFO in a tank this size can really lower the alk, so I think most of the impact was from the fresh GFO I put in. I'm slowly bringing it back up to about 8.5 dKH.

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 0
There is a nice color on the corals. I agree with you that these little aquariums are sensitive when you change something. How much live rock do you have? Might try to have some more to increase the filtering.
Kind regards

I picked up a diamond goby today. So far so good, the fish is getting along with the other inhabitants and is already sifting through sand. It's a really active fish.

This weekend I ran into a couple of breakdowns. The older of my two vortechs (has the old school controller box) stopped running and the pump to my reactor stopped running. I'll have to debug those tonight or tomorrow, hopefully it's super simple.

I ended up having to buy a new wet side for my vortech. I think the one that failed was very old, so no real concern there.

The impeller on my Cobalt MJ became locked to the shaft that it spins on, but I was able to free it so that's cool. No money spent there.

Sad when the technology breaks, my pump to skimmer is breaking down. Thinking now if I'm buying a new pump and control unit or a brand new skimmer. How is the war going with the algae?
Best regards Bosse

I'm still working on the algae. Having my reactor offline for about a week didn't help (impeller problem).

My new goby has been in the tank for a week now and is doing a magnificent job cleaning up the sand. It's giving me hope for this tank. The sand looks great now. The fish is also very fun to watch as he bulldozers sand constantly.

Also, I have egg crate siliconed to the bottom of my tank so I'm not worried about the goby digging.

Yesterday I started dosing Microbacter7 again. I had been dosing it in the summer but I stopped because my bottle was expired. The product is supposed to aid the nitrogen cycle and help breakdown organics, among other things. People have reported positive results. I’ll follow up after a few weeks.

Back