Blue Tang and Valentini Puffer.

Crooked Reef

I added a 1.5" Valentini Puffer to my reef today. About an hour after acclimation my wife called me and told me that the 5" blue hippo tang was hovering over a corner that the puffer was last seen in. When I got back home about 20 minutes later the puffer was out picking on rocks and the hippo has been in his "œbed" ever since. This has been for about 5 hours now. This tang picked on a rabbitfish unmercifully. Why would it now be hiding from the puffer that is 3.5" shorter than him?

I posted this in reef discussion yesterday with no responses so I thought it may get seen more here. The puffer is still out today picking on the rocks uninterested in any fish in the tank. The blue tang, which was happy and healthy up until this fish was added was in its "œbed" this morning. Now I can't find it anywhere. This fish ran the tank up until the toby was added. The tang is not in the overflow and the tank has a secure screen top. Also the fish is too big to make it to the sump if it went into the overflow. I know the toby is poisonous, but not venemous and there is no damage to the Toby. Not even a torn fin so I'm sure the tang didn't get poisoned by it. I also can't find any other instances of this occurring.

I saw your post yesterday hopefully someone can help you with this I have no experience with either fish. Following along best of luck to you hopefully everything is ok.

You have a rabbit fish, a Puffer and a blue tang in a 90g and are wondering why you have aggression and territory problems?

Really?

Hello, I'm sorry I don't have a response to your situation but I do have a question about the Valentini Puffer. I want one of these very badly however my LFS and several websites say there are definitely NOT reef safe. You are the second member this week that has posted that you have one in your reef and it seems as though you aren't having any problems either.
Is this true or have you had any issues with him nipping at your corals or anyone's fins?

Sorry I just reread your OP and realized you just added the puffer. Still I would appreciate any feedback you could provide.

You have a rabbit fish, a Puffer and a blue tang in a 90g and are wondering why you have aggression and territory problems?

Really?

Not at all. I understand the risks. The rabbitfish has been removed and the tang came from a local club member who had it in a 4' tank, fat and happy for a few years that was breaking down their tank for a move to a new house and was unable to sell it in a week because the sale went sour 4 times. It's not a fish that was just plucked from the pacific at this size and stuffed in a glass box. There is a back up plan as I know someone who is currently cycling a 10' tank that wants him at any point. I understand the stress that taking an open water fish from its natural habitat and place it in my home can cause the fish. I'm not sure if you asking this was more out of concern for the fish or to make me feel like an idiot. I have done some pretty idiotic things over the years so I take it with a grain of salt if it was meant that way.

Sorry I just reread your OP and realized you just added the puffer. Still I would appreciate any feedback you could provide.

I'll let you know if there are any issues. I have a different tank that it can be moved to if necessary, I just wanted it to grow out a bit first. The tang is out now, eating and both fish are ignoring each other.

More than likely the tang was picking on the Toby first, and the Toby lashed back at it as someone previously suggested. Puffers in general and in my experience Valentinis specifically are agressive towards inverts and will nip at Coral but generally will leave most other fish alone. Tangs however, will pick on anything just about. I have a single Valentini housed with 4 tangs and have had no trouble. I don't have a blue, though. Hope this helped.

Not at all. I understand the risks. The rabbitfish has been removed and the tang came from a local club member who had it in a 4' tank, fat and happy for a few years that was breaking down their tank for a move to a new house and was unable to sell it in a week because the sale went sour 4 times. It's not a fish that was just plucked from the pacific at this size and stuffed in a glass box. There is a back up plan as I know someone who is currently cycling a 10' tank that wants him at any point. I understand the stress that taking an open water fish from its natural habitat and place it in my home can cause the fish. I'm not sure if you asking this was more out of concern for the fish or to make me feel like an idiot. I have done some pretty idiotic things over the years so I take it with a grain of salt if it was meant that way.

It was meant to relay my astoundment as to people taking animals that generally live a few hundred yards away from each other, shoving them shoulder to shoulder together and then being confused as to why that causes a problem.

That's all.

Back