blue tangs in very small tanks... what compells people to do so...

a little helpful info to maybe help someone who is not so educated on blue tangs from here on out please...

let me try to start

these, based on my knowledge and xp and opinion are the sizes for tanks that will work for blue tangs... from a "dime" size and up...

1" to 2" - 3' at a minimum... once the fish gets to 2" it really does need a new home meaning length

2" to 3" - 4' is really a good amount of space for these guys pending you dont stuff your tank with Live rock...

once the fish hits 4" in lenght, i feel the proper housing really should be greater than 4'

then once he hits 5" - 6" i really feel a 6' tank is in order

6" and above, a 8' tank is probably best...

Is this a discussion or an educational thread? If it is a discussion then I will stay in but if this is an educational thread then I will stay out.

When you said you want "to create awareness, not ignorance, or promote selfishness" then you assume you are correct in your thinking. But I have to question your logic: you said a keeping a blue tang in a small tank is a bad choice no matter how small the fish is at the moment. yet you said the fish will out grow the tank fast. Isn't that contradictory ? If the fish is not happy in a small tank would it grow fast?

i will atempt to steer it to both a discussion and educational...

typically, if these fish are fed properly, from what i have learned, they will grow quite quickly... regardless of enviroment

Congratulations Pallobi!!

You have just recieved the RC wildfire thread award!! LMAO!! I can't believe that you have a thread with 100+ replies that started this morning at what, 11:30??!!

People are very serious about their tangs. I'ver personally never owned anything other than a yellow tang in a 75. The blues and browns, achilles, powders, etc. all seem to have major ich issues.

Congrats again!

as far as feeding them, as previously mentioned, the fish need ALOT of nori and greens.. and i dont mean lettuce from your fridge... the lettuce we eat ourselves, has, from what i understand, very little nutritional value for these fish... and like most other living creatures, they will benefit from a good amount of protiens... especially omega proteins and amino acids... mysis soaked with vitamins is always a good thing to the best of my knowledge...

blues are very susceptable to ich as most already know...

and forgive me if i am trying to be informative, but i am trying to save my thread, as it has been brought to my attention it will be closed if it does not beocome a little more productive...

i will still stand on the fact i feel these tangs should NOT be kept in anyting smaller than a 6' tank... my previously mentioned opinion on sizes is to help guide some of the folks that choose to ignore this... i am jus trying to be helpful at this point...

how many tangs can you keep in a tank? the LFS keeps a bunch in one tank and its small.

absolutely under no means should you ever follow waht a LFS does... or a distrubutor for that matter...

it really depends on tank size and types of tangs and power of filtration...

Dory.. ^.^ And actually she portrayed her species rather well in my opinion. As I said earlier, her "Just keep swimming" and how active she is is well suited to her species. But yes, I do agree that's a big part of the issue.

On a side note: Yay for me! 50 posts!

my wifes sister lives in Tokyo. She said prior to the movie you could go to south japan or okinawa and find clown fish all over the place, however since the movie they are all gone.

my wifes sister lives in Tokyo. She said prior to the movie you could go to south japan or okinawa and find clown fish all over the place, however since the movie they are all gone.

thats jus sad... however, and this may seem irrelevant to some, this is another reason why some put blues in tanks taht are too small...

I kept one Blue tang with my yellow tang in a 150 gallon tall 48" hx 24"w x 30"l he lived for about a year and grew from 2-3" to 4" over the course of that year...Unfortunately I added a Powder Brown tang into the mix which caused a large amount of stress in the tank leading to a terrible ich outbreak that ended up costing me both the Blue tang and the Powder Brown.

They are beautiful creatures and extremely active swimmers, now that I have downgraded to my 125g 48" l x 24" h x 24" w I still would not feel comfortable adding another Blue Tang as my goals for a 6' + length aquarium are many years away and I do not believe in temporary holding...

My eldest fish is a 12 year old Blue Devil damsel the very first fish I bought when I got into this hobby.

well anyways guys, if anyone should have anythig to add that is beneficial plz do. i wana thank everyone who has taken a constructive view on my thread... i hope it didnt get too outta hand and again, appreciate any good input so far... i never meant to call anyone out. any question or view i had was out of concern for our hobby's benefit and the benefit of the animals we keep... we are all entitled to our opinion and have the privelage of sharing it here is long as we dont intentionally knock or harass anyone else for their own views and opinions... blue tangs are quite beautiful, but i jus feel we need to be more responible as a whole when keeping this species in particular

I don't think anyone here is coming out to say they have a Tang in a small tang knowing they are going to get fryed (not by you but by others).
Now I don't agree with them and recently sold my Purple Tang when I sold my 125(6ft). I thought my new tank was just to small at 110 gallons (4ft). But to some extent I feel we are the POT calling the Kettle Black. As you said yourself the ocean is their playground and I think any tank no matter what the size it is can bring stress to them.
I also think we as Reef'rs should teach others about better husbandry and provide facts such as SKATER as opposed to asking question that do not have an answer you want to hear.
Keep it positive, It keeps people from getting infractions. ;)

I think this thread should be closed now as it has turned out to be an education thread. We don't need another one. There is a sticky thread on this subject already. The thread started out as the OP asking reasons why some people keeping blue tangs in small tanks, and I gave my reason and I don't think the OP or the other Removed are really interested in that. All they want is to impose their thinking onto other reefers. If we want to know about the tang requirements we can read the sticky thread. We all know about the requirements and we made our choice. I am asking all you experts on this matter to answer my question:

If the tank is unhappy in his small tank why would he grow fast? and how can you tell if a fish is happy or not? I don't see anything different behavior between my tiny tang in my small tank and his bigger cousins in the bigger tank. If anything my tang will grow faster according to you guys. And to me I take that as a sign that he is happy.

so ur tellin me that i shouldnt have a blue hippo tang in my 14g BC? Lasted around 3 yrs until i had some water issues.. didnt seem to grow though.. he seemed to stayed right around 1.5".. weird..

Back