Bowl Build Question on Air Pump

Mock

Saltwater Junkie
This is more of a Pico build but I am starting a small bowl reef. Its 3 gallons in total but I expect it not to be but about 1 or 1.5 gallons when I fill it with sand and rock. Most of these builds that I have studied are using air pumps as the formal way to keep the water moving because of how small they are. I have though found some very small 5v pumps that average about quarter gallon a minute or 15 gallons an hour and am hoping that this can be used as the primary circulation pump hidden in the rockscape.

I guess the main question is, other than maybe pulling some skimmate up to the surface (which I heard is more of an issue than a plus) and adding flow, is there any other reason one would "need" to add an air pump? This will be coral only, lightly fed almost nothing before a water change bowl for mostly a species only setup.

I have tried to read all the articles written by some of the more popular ones but I cant find anything other than the bubbles are just for water movement.

Almost all air exchange happens at the surface so if your pump moves the surface job done. An air stone will cause a 'barrel-roll' effect in your small aquarium which is beneficial, so plan the placement of your pump to achieve a similar effect.

Thats what I was th
Almost all air exchange happens at the surface so if your pump moves the surface job done. An air stone will cause a 'barrel-roll' effect in your small aquarium which is beneficial, so plan the placement of your pump to achieve a similar effect.
That's what I was thinking. I found this guy and I figured as long as I kept the surface moving it really doesn't matter how its being accomplished. There isn't going to be a huge demand for keeping the water aeriated as one would want more of if keeping fish but I know I have to have something to keep things moving along. I am hoping this little guy hides well and can be in a location to give me that roll even if I have to mount it in a certain area and run tubing to another to accomplish the movement I want.

pump.PNG

Back