Breeding Lysmata shrimp

So, jollilolli, have you had better success with a kriesel? Thats what I have read that theyve already tried using, without success. Is that true? I was going to build one but it sounds like aussiemate has found a way to settle them. Its the first time ive heard of someone tank breeding skunk cleaner shrimp.

Hi pdniser,
I haven't tries the kreisel out yet as I've only just built it. Hopefully I'll be able to try it out with the lysmata amboinensis in the next couple of months. Here is a video of it (the blue thing bouncing around is a blueberryšŸ˜‚)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AE5ze9y9xuM

And here is a

I'm just asking for help. I read the book. The book I mentioned goes into all of that with the exception of the lights,which I have on ambient 14/10, and I have been feeding them fresh hatch baby brine. I didn't think that I had to "œgut load"Ā them as I have been under the impression all these years that baby bri e don't eat and survive on their yolk for the first 24/48 hours after thy are born. Am I wrong? So are you supposed to leave the larvae in total darkness until they settle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi pdisner
Youā€™re correct newly hatched Bbs donā€™t have a mouth and are already loaded with all the nutrition required. Iā€™m thinking that Iā€™ll guy load the older brine shrimp so that by the time the shrimp are a little older I might be able to feed them larger shrimp.

that is true....for wild brine shrimp. store bought or purchased brine shrimp eggs have been dried and aged so there may be no nutritional value in their cysts, but i'm not sure on this. idk, i normally just put like 1/4 teaspoon of reef roids in the hatchery and a couple of hours after the hatch it's all gone. not too sure on this so just do whatever you feel is right. at worst, i've been wasting my reef roids, however i have no use for them anyway because most of my corals are photosynthetic and they are growing quick under reef octopus t5 lights. it doesn't matter anyway because i have to gut load some of the bigger brine for the bigger larvae anyway.

pdisner - lol that post wasn't about you, it was a person's account i read on marine breeder org. he tried to raise the peppermints however he failed and had a huge die off on day two. he overexposed lighting on the first 24 hours of their larval life. that was too much for them.

LOL, this is unrelated but secretly i've been dying inside, that is because i have this huge coral in my tank, that is like a flower. like it legitimately looks like a purple flower but i do not know the name of it, i will post a pic up when i get home. it had 5 heads that well...up until yesterday was closed or partially open for about 2 weeks. i was starting to get worried as i do not check my water params...like ever and i decided that maybe it just had too much ammonia or something in the tank, which i thought was unlikely because i never overfeed and always keep up with cleaning maintenance however i continued. well yesterday i opened up for the first time and i finally realised why it was closed. lol now it has like 11 or 12 heads. i guess it was just growing. is this normal? i dont know much about corals at all to be honest. ive had terrible luck with them as a newbie.

I like your trap!! You built that? Do you have instructions on how to build?

Yes I built it just by modelling it off the vossen aquatics trap. I don't have instructions sorry I just did it by eye. I had a lot of acrylic lying around and just used a heat gun to make the bends and used acrylic welding solvent to join it all together. If I was in the US I probably would have just bought one from vossen aquatics - but it was fun making it :)

Yes I built it just by modelling it off the vossen aquatics trap. I don't have instructions sorry I just did it by eye. I had a lot of acrylic lying around and just used a heat gun to make the bends and used acrylic welding solvent to join it all together. If I was in the US I probably would have just bought one from vossen aquatics - but it was fun making it :)

So it sells for 55$US. Do you think it's worth just buying one? I know Chad Vossen. He's a younger guy and really a genius in this field. (Breeding)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a shame! I don't suppose you've spotted any other attempts from others since? Any information is extremely scarce on the topic.

Back