Bryopsis possible solution

Do any of you guys have anemones? If so, how did they handle the treatment? I wonder if it would be effective against neomeris?

I have a large bubble tip in my tank, i'll let you know how he handles the treatment, i'll be starting it tomorrow night.

Bryopsis possible solution

Wow that med came in quick for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't have an anemone either. But sponges, feather dusters (micro), snails of all sorts of sizes, a chiton and an urchin (as well as the 5 fish) didn't seem bothered one bit. Can't tell about coralline... its everywhere on the shadier parts of the rockwork, but if it is alive or not i couldn't say.

Picture wise there is little change since the last one, so not really seeing the need to continue. The random little strands of not-well looking algae also seem to be going away or have gone away, depends on the spot. Debris doesn't just magically go away though even when dead, so it makes sense for it to just stay until it rots, gets eaten or floats away (and possibly gets stuck elsewhere).

Skimmer pulled quite a bit of water initially, but i has settled down since too. But it was 12 days of feeding without it running so no real surprise there (i kept feeding normally throughout). I have not re-started my ATS. I need to toss its pump (noisy) and am still killing off everything on the screen (i forgot it outside in bleach).

I have seen film algae appear on the front glass again. Just a light haze enough to see snail tracks in. Has been about a week since i scraped it though, so timing wise its about expected. Not sure if it means it survived treatment (meaning not all types of algae are wiped out) or if it just 'appeared' again like it does in all tanks somehow. That would be something interesting to test though, if its a broad-spectrum type anti-cellular thing as its function would suggest or if its actually more specific and bryopsis just happens to be one it works extremely well on.

Any of you have an assortment of macro to test with?

so if you have LEDs with no UV bulbs, i should be okay to use them after a day or two lights out right?

i use ocean revive LEDS and i believe they dont have UV.

i'll probably start my tank cleanup and treatment on sunday.

so if you have LEDs with no UV bulbs, i should be okay to use them after a day or two lights out right?

i use ocean revive LEDS and i believe they dont have UV.

i'll probably start my tank cleanup and treatment on sunday.

If they dont have any UV spectrum then I wouldn't even do a lights out. Id just run them normally. I kept my Radium halides at their normal schedule with no problems. I shut down my T5's and LED's because they were Actinic supplementation which had UV spectrum.

If they dont have any UV spectrum then I wouldn't even do a lights out. Id just run them normally. I kept my Radium halides at their normal schedule with no problems. I shut down my T5's and LED's because they were Actinic supplementation which had UV spectrum.

Good to know, ty

Light helps algae grow. Nutrients and usually shitty husbandry causes the outbreak to start.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Light helps algae grow. Nutrients and usually shitty husbandry causes the outbreak to start.

I am sorry to tell you that this is not how Bryropsis works. It will survive blackouts and thrives at low nutrient levels. It sometimes may seem beaten and lay dormant for months before coming back. I have been doing this for a long time and know my way around algae issues. I have impeccable husbandry and still suffered through Bryopsis. My nutrients were so low trying to starve it out that I was starving SPS colonies but yet the bryopsis was going like a beast. So respectfully before you call out fellow reefers husbandry practices please understand what Bryopsis is in the first place, because I would never wish it on my worst enemy.

I'm not sure you've ever dealt with bryopsis before. I have an oversized skimmer, high capacity gfo changed weekly, zero phos or nitrates, twice a week i pull out the bryopsis and blow off the rocks and replace the water with freshly made stuff. I can't even get my chaeto to grow anymore, the bubble algae that used to be in there is completely gone, there is no other algae in my tank. This stuff does not care if you run a ULNS system, i would take just about any other algae problem over this as most others are an easy fix with correcting nutrients.

Bryopsis caused me to tear down my last tank. It was that bad.

I have 4 ati blue plus, 1 coral plus, and one purple plus, would it be better to leave these off or can i run them with the meds?

I have 4 ati blue plus, 1 coral plus, and one purple plus, would it be better to leave these off or can i run them with the meds?

If that's your only light source I would run it. I am not sure if any of those bulbs have the UV wavelength in them though. I read that UV breaks down the medication on another forum that I had to translate, but I am not sure if it does or does not.

going by ati's site, there is a very small blip under the 400nm wavelength, judging from the amount of light in the other spectrums, i'm guessing this would be too minor to even make a difference in uv, but i'll leave them off for a day to be sure. i'm leaving off my actinic bulbs as they do have a higher amount of uv.

First dose was put in an hour or so ago, no effects on anything in the tank including the nems at this time, though it's a bit soon to say either way. I dosed 3000mg into roughly 150 of water.

I had my coral, 2 blue and purple pluses off just the first day. I don't really think much true UV comes through the glass of the tube (glass blocks UV pretty good).

You probably won't see much effect for a few days still. Any chance you got some spot to take comparison photos of? I would be interesting to see another example to see if it follows the same cycle.

Back