BTA Question? dropped a tentacle?

So I stumbled across a sad looking candy corn or flame tip anemone at the LFS, it was bleached pretty bad, and just didnt look happy. So they discounted it good enough for me to give it a shot, so I brought it home, it looked ok for a while, never looked happy in my opinion but i knew what i was getting into when I bought it.
Anyways fast forward, it never got looking great and it died much to my dismay, i was hoping to salvage it into a great anemone.
So I did notice that it dropped a couple tentacles and i thought it might have just been part of the process with it dying.
Its been gone out of the tank about a month and when I came home today after my blue spot jawfish has apparently done some house cleaning I found one of the tentacles against the front glass, its color still looks great.

Whats up with that?

Why would the tentacle not wither away ?

So I stumbled across a sad looking candy corn or flame tip anemone at the LFS, it was bleached pretty bad, and just didnt look happy. So they discounted it good enough for me to give it a shot, so I brought it home, it looked ok for a while, never looked happy in my opinion but i knew what i was getting into when I bought it.

Anyways fast forward, it never got looking great and it died much to my dismay, i was hoping to salvage it into a great anemone.

So I did notice that it dropped a couple tentacles and i thought it might have just been part of the process with it dying.

Its been gone out of the tank about a month and when I came home today after my blue spot jawfish has apparently done some house cleaning I found one of the tentacles against the front glass, its color still looks great.

Whats up with that?

Why would the tentacle not wither away ?

Very interesting i don't know im just speculating maybe someone else with more knowledge will chime in but i think its like a split of the anemone
Was it in the dark for a while

So here it is like day 3, doesnt look to bad, just bleached, so for the blue, my cell phone never gets it right

IMG_20161030_122040.jpg

And here is the arm I found tonight

IMG_20161212_213555.jpg

so i made it a cup out of a water bottle, lets see what happens, and in the cup outside of the tank with no flow, the tentacle moves and extends

IMG_20161213_001028.jpg

IMG_20161213_001108.jpg

Could be like a decapitated head of a Frogspawn
Will live as long as they are in water but wont grow etc
Could also be that its living off the light until it can grow a mouth

Looks more like a powerhead got that anemone more than just a standard death. They usually turn to mush.

Ive had BTA lose tentacles. Sometimes clowns nip at the tip, but not often. Your jawfish might have nipped it too. Also a chance you got a shrimp, hermit or crab that was trimming your bta. I caught a wild hermit in my tank once that chopped an entire bta flat. Id find loose tentacles daily. The tip will melt away soon.

Ive had BTA lose tentacles. Sometimes clowns nip at the tip, but not often. Your jawfish might have nipped it too. Also a chance you got a shrimp, hermit or crab that was trimming your bta. I caught a wild hermit in my tank once that chopped an entire bta flat. Id find loose tentacles daily. The tip will melt away soon.

Well darn, youre ruining my hopes of this tiny thing sprouting into an awesome anemone :rollface:

Its been over a month since the original was removed from the tank so I would have thought this thing would have melted away by now.

Quoting a article i was reading and thought of you
"While I've never seen it happen, according to Delbeek & Sprung (1997) BTAs may also reproduce asexually via pedal laceration at times. In this case, all that happens is a small bit of tissue separates from the base of a parent and then grows into a new anemone. So, there's a chance that you might find some tiny new BTAs showing up around the base of an adult, too."
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/6/inverts

Protect the tentacle as if its a anemone hopefully it will grow into one

To asexual reproduce, it must split from the mouth. Like how most folks cut BTA in half. From the mouth. It will heal around the mouth.

Sexual reproduction, you will see them spawning and clouding your water

Imo. Pedal laceration is still like splitting. It doesnt just drop a piece of the tip and let it flow away. Its foot will stretch and a new nem will form (without stretching to the mouth).

Here is a mag splitting via pedal laceration
oxUCPCP.jpg

rPWJPuj.jpg

Also the article mentioned the unlikely chance of pedal laceration in home aquariums.

In the OPs case, im fairly confident something nipped his BTA. Could just be a one time curious fish or could be some crab like preditor

Ok (so im curious)
Why is it still living and full of color according to what your saying if it doesn't have a mouth it will starve and die

m0nkie,
Your BTA is splitting. Pedal laceration is where the anemone moved and leave a small piece of his foot (pedal) behind. This piece of tissue then grow into a small anemone. Aptasia reproduce this way, in addition to other ways.
When the tissue division is significant, like in your case, then it is called fission/splitting.

Back