Bubble King Skimmer Club

Hello,

I have a question to Bubble King owner:

Does someone know this version of BBK300 Deluxe with two outlets ?
Is there an efficiency difference with BBK deluxe having only one outlet ?

Thanks for your help,
Laurent

That is one of the earlier models of the Deluxe 300. The newer styles only have one larger outlet, a coned neck, and a different base.

Well im thinking about buying a 200 mini and was wondering what is the ideal water level for the skimmer. Im limited on space and am hoping that it will fit.

And any input on the skimmer would be appreciated!
Thanks in advanced!

The Mini series is pretty flexible on water level, being anywhere from 6.5" to 9" or so. The ideal level will be 7.5" - 8" though.

I could really use some help. I've posted on this thread numerous times over the past 6 months and everyone seems to overlook my posts because I never get any response. I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this thread because I've seen people post their issues or concerns and receive resolution time and time again. Am I not giving enough information? Can I not be helped? I'm not sure what I'm missing but I would greatly appreciate some help as I'm at my wits end with this skimmer. I know it's a great skimmer simply because I've seen it stand the test of time on a few tanks and everyone that owns one seems to love it so that leads me to believe that my issues with the skimmer are operator error.

The issue I'm having is my Vertex Alpha 250 Cone Protein Skimmer is producing little to no skimmate. I've adjusted water height in the sump, water height in the skimmer and I've played with the pump air intake screw over and over again ranging from all the way in to all the way out and it doesn't seem to matter what I do. I just cant get this skimmer to produce skimmate. My main tank, with the Alpha 250 skimmer, has about 90 corals, about 15 fish, I feed heavily and there's a lot of invertebrates as well. The display is 90 gallons, about 20 gallons in the sump and 10 gallons in the fuge. The skimmer is sitting in 10" of water, the pump intake nozzle has been unscrewed 3.5 turns and the water crests inside the neck of the skimmer about 3" from the bottom of the lid. I clean the collection cup about once a week as the neck gets pretty nasty but it just doesn't seem to makes its way to the collection cup. On a good note, the water quality is great. No issues with NO3/PO4. I understand that the skimmer is oversized, to say the least, for my tank but I thought by having a bigger, better skimmer I could keep more fish/corals/inverts. Is that not a logical way of thinking? Is this my problem?

I believe your skimmer is way too big for your total water volume. You will never get good skimmate. I'd trade that big boy out for a smaller skimmer.

Nitr8,
The answer to the problems that you are having have been answered countless times in this thread, and touched on again briefly by acesq. Im not sure how long you have been in the hobby, but earlier skimmers tended to be very tall. Over time, and due to the demands of aquarists, skimmers have trended towards shorter models, which they can fit under the standard aquarium stand. Trade offs were made to allow for this design, and one of the trade offs is a larger neck diameter - which you will find on most newer model skimmers when compared to their older counterparts. The drawback of this, is that it takes a substantial amount of organics to build a sufficient head in these necks.

The 250 part of you Alpha 250 skimmer stands for the diameter in mm of your skimmers cone body. I believe that the neck of your skimmer is over 5 inches. In a recent previous post by Jeremy, he suggests that a 250 Bubble King can handle up to a 500 gallon tank. You simply don't (and will likely never) have the level of organics in 90 gallon tank to build the thick black skimmate you have been looking for. For reference, I had a 200 external BK, on a 150 gallon tank, with 43 fish and 80 corals, and it never, ever had a thick foam head. I skimmed very wet, and my tank stayed spotless, but it was always a wet, tea colored skimmate, and it produced maybe a cup or so a week. I would suggest skimming wetter which will help pull the junk out of the water, but your (and many others) logic that a bigger skimmer is better when it comes to these monsters, is incorrect. I hope this helps.

Nathan

180 Mini ceramic bearing

180 Mini ceramic bearing

I recently purchased a used BK mini 180 for our 180 gallon reef upgrading from a SWC 160 non-cone which skims heavy funk but I don't feel can keep up.

I was told the pump was replaced within the last year. It looks like I have a Gen1 body with a v09 motor block. Not a problem until I decalcified the pump assembly and found the ceramic bearing is pretty chewed up. I am also missing the o-ring on the wedge pipe. I would really like to get these taken care of before i put the BK online and run into issues.

I am having problems locating replacement parts. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Here's my double cone 200 skimming! Been running since March.

2aru3yvu.jpg

Last edited:
I just got my new Double cone 250 yesterday. The build quality is truly amazing. I still have to wait a few weeks to put it in my new tank. But in the mean time I put it in the bath tub just to see it in action. Its in about 9 inches of water. When I turn it on it goes up to 45w but it barely makes any bubbles. When I hit the up arrow it reads 99 and then goes back to 45w. This is my first time with a BK and internal. I'm sure i'm doing something wrong, any ideas?

I just got my new Double cone 250 yesterday. The build quality is truly amazing. I still have to wait a few weeks to put it in my new tank. But in the mean time I put it in the bath tub just to see it in action. Its in about 9 inches of water. When I turn it on it goes up to 45w but it barely makes any bubbles. When I hit the up arrow it reads 99 and then goes back to 45w. This is my first time with a BK and internal. I'm sure i'm doing something wrong, any ideas?

Any salt in that water?

do you guys think BK 250 int is enough for 435 dt/ 650g+ system ?
i bought a used 300int but it got damage during shipping.

Back