Build a bigger home, build a bigger tank!

A coast-to-coast overflow on one end should be more than adequate. Some go for teeth across the overflow, some advocate a bare edge. Having all your overflow on one end simplifies your flow design such that you can direct all surface movement to the overflow in one direction.

Dave.M

if the tank is only viewable on 2 sides I would definitely do one overflow but do it on the back panel.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Not much to update as I'm still choosing the tank mfg, I'm leaning heavily toward a 96 X 36 x 26 made by either Atlas with 3 sides PPG Starphire or my LFS who has a builder that uses Guardian optically clear glass. I'm hoping to have this part behind me in a week or so then can just focus on the house build till we get a little closer.

I saw the framing for the crawl space with the support go in last week so that was nice to have the first physical piece to actually see.

Very nice can you see into the tank from the left hand side? Does that slide up to create a viewable space? Is that tank I see on the other side or is it a reflection? I'm guessing the other side as it looks like you are only partially filled with water.

Still deciding on the tank but need some help, so a few questions...

96X36X26 or 96X36X30 - I like the extra height but worried about being able to get into the tank to do maintenance

With 2 sides front and right will be viewable:
- Would you put two overflows on the back 96" side or one running the full length of the 36" side, translates to about 52" vs 36" of linear overflow
- Would you have the returns drilled through the Eurobrace or go around it? Do I lose any structural support in doing that?
- Would you put the returns opposite the overflow, i.e. if its on the right side then on the left or if the overflow is in the back then returns on the front, or would returns on the left side work in both cases?
- If I do the 2 overflows on the back side how many would you drill, Herbie in each or Beananimal in each?
- If I do the 1 36" overflow on the right hand side again how many holes?

Any other thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcomed.

I have the overflow on my 10'10" X 37.5" tank (those are outside dimensions) on one end and ran the returns back along the top of the euro bracing on both sides with three return nozzles on each side. I did not use return holes in the tank since the sump is right there and going over the top was much easier. With a hammerhead gold pumping the return, the overflow is handling all it can unless I go with no teeth and just let it waterfall into the overflow box. This tank is a room divider with the two long sides visible. It is 30" tall, and where reaching the middle of the tank is difficult, I love the added depth of the tank. In my opinion there is no way you could manage without access on both sides of your tank with the 36" width.
Good luck with the new house and tank.

Thanks Texas, what size are your overflows and how many do you have? Are you using a beananimal or herbie setup? Do you have any pictures you could post?

Finally something cool to post. Here is where the tank is going!

picture.php

picture.php

I only have one overflow at one end. It is about 36" of overflow. I use the herbie and it could handle way more flow but the overflow teeth will not.

The way the studs are over your tank location does not look like you will be having front access to your tank. If that is the case it is a huge mistake in my opinion.
Best of luck,
Pam

Thanks and thanks for the feedback.

Yes the that is the way they've framed it now, but I'm working with them to figure out either 4 2ft doors or one 8ft section that lifts up, similar to the picture from mx36 on the first page of this thread. Initially I was going to access from the back like I do with my current tank but as the tank grew and grew in my plans I realized I'd need front access too.

Steve I want to be done with that but I've been waiting on Tim to call me back so I can finalize, not sure if he is on vacation or something didn't leave an out of office or notice on his v-mail though. You haven't talked with him in the last couple weeks have you?

So I've had some trouble getting my tank ordered and I'm working through that, but I wanted folks opinions on the tank. Especially on what to do with the overflows and returns. Keep in mind how the tank will be viewed from one side and the back (on the side that will be view-able only about 24" of the 36" will be exposed but that last 12" will be right up against a wall and that is the side that the sump will be on)

Here is what I'm looking at.

• 96 long x 36 wide x 30 tall - optically clear glass on front, left and right sides
  • Eurobraced (including notching for easy access to overflows)
  • Overflows:
  • - 2 Internal 3 sided trapezoid overflows (not corner)
  • - Each Overflow - 16 inch front 6 inches off back wall resulting in roughly 26 to 32 linear inches of overflow each
  • - Each Overflow - 3 @ 1.5" slip on the overflow and threaded on the bottom bulkheads
  • Returns:
  • - Should I just drop this in over the top around the Eurobrasing what do you recommend?
  • Should I use Sch40 or Sch 80 PVC Bulkheads
  • Can withstand the stress of regular wave motion (multiple MP60s or multiple Tunze Waveboxes)

Overflows:

Should I do

Option 1 -
○ 2 Internal 3 sided trapezoid overflows (not corner)
○ Each Overflow - 16 inch front 6 inches off back wall resulting in roughly 26 to 32 linear inches of overflow
○ Each Overflow - 3 @ 1.5" slip on the overflow and threaded on the bottom bulkheads -*include sch40 PVC bulkheads

Option 2 -
○ 2 Internal 3 sided trapezoid overflow (not corner)
○ 36 inch front 6 inches off back wall resulting in roughly 48 linear inches of overflow
○ 3 @ 2" slip on the overflow and threaded on the bottom bulkheads -*include sch40 PVC bulkheads

hey doug....what does the builder of the tank suggest? I would think 2" overflows would be a lot of flow and potentially noisy. What about doing this.....

○ 2 Internal 3 sided trapezoid overflows (not corner)
○ 36 inch front 6 inches off back wall resulting in roughly 48 linear inches of overflow
○ Each Overflow - 3 @ 1.5" slip on the overflow and threaded on the bottom bulkheads -*include sch40 PVC bulkheads

i would go with the 96 x 36 x 30 tank and u can also try calling miracles in canada too my tank from them shipped to me with 3/4" 3 sided starphire glass dimension of 120 x 36 x 30 was 7200 i did it with 2 back side trapezoid overflow with 4 holes in each 2 for 1.5 and 2 for .75

Doug, thank you for the PM.

You have a nice build going and have been getting some good advice.

A couple of suggestions and a few questions....

1) I think two overflows is more than enough for your sized tank. Why not have one of them in a corner?

2) As far as tank builders - I received probably 12 quotes when I was pricing and planning my system. I ended up choosing to go with AGE in Garland, Texas and am very happy with my choice. Excellent customer service and communication with them.

I would like to know more about your planned Fish Room. You are in an early enough stage with your home construction that you can really plan your electric (dedicated circuits), drains (floor/sink), RO System, exhaust/cooling, etc.

Back