Build a bigger home, build a bigger tank!

hey doug....what does the builder of the tank suggest? I would think 2" overflows would be a lot of flow and potentially noisy. What about doing this.....

○ 2 Internal 3 sided trapezoid overflows (not corner)
○ 36 inch front 6 inches off back wall resulting in roughly 48 linear inches of overflow
○ Each Overflow - 3 @ 1.5" slip on the overflow and threaded on the bottom bulkheads -*include sch40 PVC bulkheads

Thanks Steve, he was on vacation so I wanted to get some input from this group, they did say before he left that my option 1 is way overkill given that my plan is to use in tank water movement (Vortechs and / or Waveboxes) and only run 5 to 10 times DT volume through the sump (probably closer to 5 times) That was when I came up with 1 internal overflow with the 3 2" drains. Plus as I started thinking about the logistics of the wavebox I figured centering that would mean water would always be flowing into the overflow rather than in the corners where it would drop and come back up.

I was thinking that the 2" drains would be quieter, no?

i would go with the 96 x 36 x 30 tank and u can also try calling miracles in canada too my tank from them shipped to me with 3/4" 3 sided starphire glass dimension of 120 x 36 x 30 was 7200 i did it with 2 back side trapezoid overflow with 4 holes in each 2 for 1.5 and 2 for .75

Thanks Discus, do you have 8 holes total? How much flow and what type of pump are you running?

Doug, thank you for the PM.

You have a nice build going and have been getting some good advice.

A couple of suggestions and a few questions....

1) I think two overflows is more than enough for your sized tank. Why not have one of them in a corner?

2) As far as tank builders - I received probably 12 quotes when I was pricing and planning my system. I ended up choosing to go with AGE in Garland, Texas and am very happy with my choice. Excellent customer service and communication with them.

I would like to know more about your planned Fish Room. You are in an early enough stage with your home construction that you can really plan your electric (dedicated circuits), drains (floor/sink), RO System, exhaust/cooling, etc.

Thanks Dan, I appreciate you tagging along! Your build is amazing.

So you'd lean more toward option 1 than option 2?

I was looking at a few builders and they seem to have fallen through for various reasons so I had to start over recently and lost a lot of time then started questioning a lot of my plans. I got lucky and found a guy through our local reef club meeting that mostly does really high end stuff but he said he'd help get me the tank as I was just having such bad luck, then I found a guy selling a 600g acrylic that I still may consider, but most likely going with glass and new.

As for the tank room, mostly that's been designed and being built out now but I've bothered them with enough change controls that if anyone had another idea I'd certainly be willing to take it.

In the room I'll have:
- additional support to carry the weight load designed by the builders engineering firm, under the tank is way overkill for support and the rest of the room is about 6 times normal residential load
- 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits (run to 2 each quad GFCI Outlets), I alternated the circuits on the sides of the room Circuit A has a quad on the left hand side and the right hand side, Circuit B has the same, there are also 2 additional GFCI Outlets in the room
- that may seem crazy but I had a GFCI trip on me once while I was out of town and lost several fish, corals all survived, but this way I should have half the equipment running if one trips accidentally (not sure if that will cause me issues with combinations of things but I'll test that all out when we get that far)
- all electrical is at 60" above floor or higher
- exhaust tied to a humidistat
- additional cooling (2 times what would be normal for that size room) (although I think I'll be going with LEDs so that should help too)
- wood stands built by the builder
- laundry sink with an additional hose bib for the RO/DI, space for a water make up station
- drain in the middle of the floor
- water sensor tied to the security system (we will play with this one not sure how it will work out, its wireless so I can move it later if I don't like it)
- ice and water barrier roof shielding around the bottom couple feet of the walls coming out onto the floor (I wanted to use a spray sealant similar to what they put in truck beds but it was way too expensive
- all surfaces painted with 2 coats permanizer paint, including floor
- green board on the fish room walls and sound deadening drywall on the exterior room walls
- CAT5e and RG6 for internet and TV if I ever want it, (I like to listen to TV more than watch it)
- The framing above the tank you see in the picture will be changing and I'm planning to have front access even though I really like the clean look I have now (as do you), but at 36" I just think I'll need it
- I've taken extensive pictures of where the wires and plumbing is in the walls to make sure I don't hit something later and I plan to video the whole house once they are done with the insulation (this week) and before drywall goes up.
- Its on an outer wall so down the road I may drill a small hole through the wall to outside to run waste water into a rain barrel or something.

Anything else you can think of?

These large home builds are epic! The side view window is cool.

Thanks Draven! Its painful waiting, guess I've been waiting over 20 years for a tank this big so a few more months won't kill me, but I'm in that "over thinking everything phase"...

Thanks everyone for the input, so I spoke with my guy today and he is getting quotes from A.G.E. as well so I'm glad you were happy with them danfeig.

We seem to be settling in on Option 2 (which I just noticed had a very important typo, this was to be ONE trapezoid overflow that was larger with larger drains. Sorry about that everyone).

Anyway any reason not to go with this and then just drop the returns in over the top of the Eurobrace?

Option 2 -
○ 1 Internal 3 sided trapezoid overflow (not corner)
○ 36 inch front 6 inches off back wall resulting in roughly 48 linear inches of overflow
○ 3 @ 2" slip on the overflow and threaded on the bottom bulkheads -*include sch40 PVC bulkheads - and I'll probably just put Durso's on these

I'm so close to finally getting a tank ordered that I can taste it! :mixed:

The framing is changed and the drywall is underway...

picture.php

picture.php

Looks like a great setup, I've got a similar system at my place though it sits in the garage. In my case, I ultimately went with a mini-split system for air conditioning and humidity control. Much more effective, and it may be something to consider. Once that room is buttoned up and you've got lights, pumps, tons of water, fans, and who knows what else, you may find that the house HVAC system is insufficient for that one room. I've seen a few friends require dedicated systems even when they are a part of the main living space unlike mine (which is in the garage). Just something to put some thought into now before it becomes a lot more trouble to do (once all the finishing is done in the house).

Good luck! I'll be sure to follow along.

Chris - thanks for following and for the input. I've more than doubled up the AC in that room and I put in venting that will be tied to a humidistat. If that doesn't work out its on an outside wall and its over a crawlspace so I have a few options, one of which would be to split that duct-work off to its own system and controls without having to be too invasive but we will see, its one of those things that I won't know what I'm dealing with till I get it up and running, unless someone has a way to calculate that heat output?

Wayne - you are correct, I'm very fortunate to be able to do this the timing was just right. I won't be able to get all the new toys I want right from the beginning and most of the initial livestock will be what is currently in my 180 but I'll be replacing / adding rock with dry rock, so I'll have a light bio-load as the filters won't be quite up to snuff for this size tank for quite a while but this gets me the tank I want that I can continue to build on for a very long time.

The main reason we are moving is to expand our family so if / when the new little one comes along I'm sure there won't be much time to tinker in the tank for a long time, that was what happened when we had our daughter ~ 2 years ago, the tank went into "maintenance" mode for about a year, family will always come first.

Tank is finally ordered I went through Rich with AquariaUSA here in Charlotte to order an A.G.E tank! Very happy with what I'll be getting! :celeb1:

- 96 by 36 by 30
- Starphire 3 sides
- 1 Internal 3 sided trapezoid overflow 24 inch front 6 inches off back wall resulting in roughly 36 linear inches of overflow
- 3 @ 2" drains

Stand is going to be built by a local club member with 2X2 steel

House is scheduled for closing on October 30th, cabinets are going in today...

Pictures!!!!!!!!! :bounce3:

Scheduled to move to the new house on the 26th of this month! The stand and tank will be hopefully "moving in" in the following two weekends. It'll still be slow after that as I'm holding off on buying most things till I get into the new house.

I love the length:
picture.php

PVC Bottom:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

A little update, as of now we are still on target for closing on the house and moving in next Friday, we have the builders walk on Tuesday so hopefully all goes smoothly then.

The stand is set to be delivered on the 27th and then the tank on the 5th, if the stand goes smoothly I may try to move up the tank a few days. I finally decided on lights I'm going with 4 SolarBlast UV5000.

The first big challenge though will be getting everything I want to keep out of the 180 and settled in a 70 that I'm planning on keeping, once I've got that sorted then I'll be able to focus on the big tank, it'll be slow as I didn't want to have the rock soaking at the old house so that'll take some time.

I also want to re-quarantine everything before adding anything to the new tank, so this should be some interesting juggling but once I get over there then I can figure out a migration / QT plan.

Here's to hoping the next month goes smoothly...

Glad everything is moving smoothly. Tank goes in before furniture is classic. Toast to next month going smooth sailing.

Back