Bulkhead placement

DrHarryLopez

One Happy Reefer
Hi guys,

I just received a 220 gal with two over flows. Bought bulkheads for the over flows but each bulkhead only came with one rubber gasket.

Is that enough to maintain the tank leak proof or should i get another rubber gasket to go on the dry side of the opening?

Thanks for any advise
Harry

Harry, you just need the gasket on the wet side. There is no reason to put a gasket on the dry side and it is not advised to do so.

yes; wet side only and some people smear some silicone on for extra insurance against leakage. know how much to tighten the bulkheak. too many tanks have cracked from overtightening.

Harry, you just need the gasket on the wet side. There is no reason to put a gasket on the dry side and it is not advised to do so.

+1

The gasket goes on the wet side... I wouldn't use silicone. Just make sure the glass on both sides is absolutely clean.

LL

The gasket just needs to NOT go on the side with the nut. Whether this is dry side or wet side, it doesn't matter. The wider part of the bulkhead and gasket should seal whether on the dry or wet side.

Back