Calcium reactor setup methods

dimasv

Hi guys,

I just connected my CaRx and I am running one suggested method which is:
1. Run constant low stream, not dripping, flow with effluent valve.
2. Run pH in chamber around 7-7.3

This way they say it does not get clogged.

My question is, if I do that wouldnt I just keep Alk stable? what happens to Ca and Mg, if it wont dissolve as much ?

ALso wont I drop pH with such flow a lot ?

My reactor
bf4c4a6843c321b4a905062188135921.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

You didn't fill the entire second chamber with magnesium media did you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My "ah-ha" moment when setting up my CaRx was when I realized that you can not raise Alk or Ca without raising the other. MG needs to be supplemented because CaRx media add very little, if any unless you've added some sort of magnesium chips. I test for alk more often than Ca and if my alk is on point, then Ca is usually right around where I want. When I test for Ca and it's low (assuming my alk is where I want it), I just supplement the tank with a Ca solution.

My "ah-ha" moment when setting up my CaRx was when I realized that you can not raise Alk or Ca without raising the other. MG needs to be supplemented because CaRx media add very little, if any unless you've added some sort of magnesium chips. I test for alk more often than Ca and if my alk is on point, then Ca is usually right around where I want. When I test for Ca and it's low (assuming my alk is where I want it), I just supplement the tank with a Ca solution.

I thought the main Reason of keeping CaRx so u dont have to dose anything, no ?

I thought the main Reason of keeping CaRx so u dont have to dose anything, no ?

Not entirely. It's a supplementing method just like any other. The benefits of a calcium reactor is the sheer amount they can supplement and if properly set up how low maintenance they are. A correctly set up reactor with quality gear will not be cheaper (or if they are it will be so marginal and take years before breaking even).

Reef chemistry is more complicated than just calcium and carbonate ions. There can be a lot going on which would cause calcium and total alkalinity to not move EXACTLY together all the time. The nitty gritty specifics of it are beyond my skill level but I do understand it to be the case. As the acidic environment dissolves the media, calcium, alkalinity, and all the trace elements required for skeleton building are released into the water, and if tuned properly, at the exact rate they're being taken up.

If anything is happening to cause calcium to deplete faster, that would be due to some form of abiotic precipitation not related to coral growth. Alkalinity is what is advisable to test regularly but you don't need to test everything every time. I test calcium monthly to make sure it's still tracking along with alk and I will adjust it in a bolus dose if necessary. It's rare that I do, but happens occasionally. My salt mix keeps magnesium elevated enough. I haven't had to run that in the reactor or dose it manually in years.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I run reborn in my CaRx and find that I have to drop pH to about 6.7-8 to get adequate dissolution.

Back