Call Guinness. Just set a temp record.

bshumake

OK, so this isn't really anything to brag about. I got some zoas in a swap sent to my work (Laboratory). They came in at 25C (77F) and thought i'd put them into a water bath to get the temp up a little. So I put them into a glass beaker and into the waterbath till I get home. Set the dial to 27C and dropped a thermometer in for redundancy. Well, this bath just so happens to be one with a faulty temp set. So... about 10 min later I check on the little bugger and its 48C.....118F!!!!! After an initial panic I brought it back to 30 and now its stable at 29C. Here's the thing... at 118F it had open polyps, active feather worms, no outward signs of stress. Even now (2H later) its just peachy! Ain't that something?
BTW, its ~25-30 SafeCrackers.

Gotta see if that might be a useful method for predator/disease control!

Someone try cooking their sick zoos, please!

Cool, all though I see zoo's all the time exposed at low tide bakeing in the south florida summer sun. 4 to 5 hrs just getting baked no water and they open as soon as the water comes back in.

I shipped some zoas to a guy back in Ohio this past summer, the package was lost in the mail for TWO weeks. When he got it, he said it was douple wrapped in plastic and stunk like crazy. Got it home and lo and behold, one frag of zoa's actually survived. Last I heard, they were doing good in his tank.

Back