Calling all Centropyge keepers: Longevity of Centropyge angels in captivity

RIP dwarf angels.

I'd love more people to chime in on this. One member on R2R told me (and said in a thread) that the Pygmy angels have a shorter lifespan compared to the medium and larger Centropyges. Is that generally true or not?

A while ago I found a scientific research paper/dissertation that investigated the lifespans and sex changes of 3 different angelfish species in the wild:

Centropyge loricula:
Lifespan in the wild up to 8 years.
Start out as females and change into males (if dominant).
Recent research suggests that males may also be able to revert back to females.
These findings likely apply to all closely related species.

Centropyge bicolor:
Lifespan in the wild up to 18 years.
Start out as females and change into males (if dominant).

Pomacanthus sexstriatus:
Lifespan in the wild up to 60 years.
Start out as immature bisexual and change permanently into females or males when maturing. Ño sex change later.
This applies almost certainly to all 3 species of the Euxiphipops group (P. navachus, P. xanthometopon, P. sexstriatus) and most likely also to all of the other Pomacanthus species.

This research shows a clear correlation between size and lifespan so it can be deducted that pygmy angels from the acanthops complex have shorter lifespans than the loricula sized dwarf angels.

And while with good care dwarf and pygmy angels might get older in captivity than in the wild, the majority will likely perish before their time.
Unfortunately it is rather unlikely that most large angels get to live as long in captivity as they might in the wild...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I had an eibli angelfish about 6 yrs ago. It is still living happily in a friends tank.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

[MENTION=328903]ThRoewer[/MENTION] Which species of dwarf angels have you kept and how long did they live for? If I cannot get a 120cm tank I will get a 90cm or 100cm tank. For those smaller tank sizes would one of the loricula sized dwarf angels work or should I only stick to a Pygmy?

African Flameback I've had for at least 8 years. Biggest bully in the tank lol.
2ad068d818abf89febb58bb29b64c047.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I had a number of Centropyge argi back in Germany, a couple of singles (all went mad) and a harem group of 4 which did fine. I do not remember how old they got but as pretty much the smallest angelfish species I would think they are rather short-lived (8 years max). It is definitely a good species for a smaller tank but you should keep them at a minimum as a pair. And they are definitely coral nippers.
I had a few other dwarf angels in the distant past but don't remember how long they lived.

I one time got in a "Red Sea" Flameback that was red + black instead of the usual orange + blue. It died after a week or so, and I kick myself for not taking a photo (but this was 30 years ago). It came from Quality Marine, and I've never seen that variant since. :(

I'm very tempted to try a Joculator angel, not sure about its ease of care. If that thing dies though, that's 600-700 bucks gone.

Centropyge bispinosa is attractive, not particularly pricey, and not very difficult to keep. On top of that, it is available as captive-bred.

Coral Beauty would be my choice if I could find a captive-bred specimen that can ship to China. The difficulty is, my LFS I'm not sure if they are willing to import from ORA or Biota Palau that breeds the captive bred Coral Beauties. They might think it's too expensive. If I get a wild-caught specimen I'm especially worried it's from Southeast Asia, which means cyanide poisoning.

I'm very tempted to try a Joculator angel, not sure about its ease of care. If that thing dies though, that's 600-700 bucks gone.

Well, some guys here at RC have commented that the Joc's have adapted very well to captivity and are some eating machines. However, I agree that you should first try a more accessible angel in price and availability, apart from the coral beauty angel, is there any other accessible Centropyge that you like?

According to the post, I have a C.loriculus for a little over three years, the guy has had a couple of complications but has come out ahead and is a big fat fish and extremely active.

1. Flame Angel

2. Half-Black Angel

3. One of the Pygmy angels

4. Eibli Angel

Not sure about the hardiness of these?

10 - 11 years is the maximum recorded for Centropyge in the wild (with some locations only being a year or two). So far my experinces have pretty much followed. I do have a couple exceptions though. I currently have a coral beauty bought in 2007 and I had a Lemon Peel for 14 years.

10 - 11 years is the maximum recorded for Centropyge in the wild (with some locations only being a year or two). So far my experinces have pretty much followed. I do have a couple exceptions though. I currently have a coral beauty bought in 2007 and I had a Lemon Peel for 14 years.
It actually depends on size: large species like C. bicolor get up to 18 years in the wild while the midsize species like C. loricula reach 8 years in the wild. The smaller species likely get less than that.
Species from cooler waters might also get older than tropical counterparts.
In captivity and with good care you may get a good number of additional years out of them because there are no predators who pick of the older ones that start to slow down in their reaction. So I would not be surprised to find captive specimen that reach twice the average age of those in the wild.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back