Captive bred vs wild caught: saving the reefs?

It's not illegal to keep lionfish that have been captured in Florida. It is illegal to import, sell, and keep ones that have come from elsewhere. So no problem with capturing the ones in Florida and sending them elsewhere ;)

Sweet ever catch any life ones a keep them in an aquarium or do you just kill them at eat them and another question on that front what species are the wild ones?

Sweet ever catch any life ones a keep them in an aquarium or do you just kill them at eat them and another question on that front what species are the wild ones?

Both :D Had a pair of adults living under the universities dock for quite some time, until a grad student caught them for genetic analysis...

As for determining what species are the wild ones, so far it's only Volitan and Miles that are known to be invasive in FL.

Both :D Had a pair of adults living under the universities dock for quite some time, until a grad student caught them for genetic analysis...

As for determining what species are the wild ones, so far it's only Volitan and Miles that are known to be invasive in FL.

Dang it i was hoping to help florida out this year or next because i was hoping you had some of these CLICK HERE

I think its important to buy captive whenever possible. It should be illegal to harvest any coral\fish that can be captive raised in the trade.

I think its important to buy captive whenever possible. It should be illegal to harvest any coral\fish that can be captive raised in the trade.

you mean captive breed right and while when i set up my tank i will be trying to do that myself i think we should be real and face the fact that many of the people in the south/west pacific and north/west/east indian oceans are doing this for there very livelihoods which means even if i was illegal they still would be doing it so i think regulation and management is the only course

you mean captive breed right and while when i set up my tank i will be trying to do that myself i think we should be real and face the fact that many of the people in the south/west pacific and north/west/east indian oceans are doing this for there very livelihoods which means even if i was illegal they still would be doing it so i think regulation and management is the only course

Pretty much this.
By choosing wild caught we are encouraging them to care for the reef and cultivate it. Dead fish for food command a much much lower price than living healthy aquarium specimens and must instead be harvested in much greater quantities.
Should the worst occur they may even turn to "Coral Mining" for their livelihood instead, which is the absolute worst thing that could ever happen to the reefs.

When I started keeping fish in the early 60's most freshwater fish where wild caught too. Now only a few still are. Look at how easy freshwater fish are to keep nowadays. If we support captive breeding we can get to that point with both fish and corals.

When the Freshwater Fish were Wild Caught in the 60's were they very hard to keep?

I love buying tank bred clowns and tangs. They seem to do much better and come in with less issues. That being said, I received an order of tank bred clowns and one had flukes that wiped them all out over several days in QT.

When the Freshwater Fish were Wild Caught in the 60's were they very hard to keep?

One had to have the correct PH for the fish in the tank. Some of the wild caught fish lived in low PH water and that was an issue. Also getting foods that they would eat was an issue. There was a lot of learning about the needs of the fish back in those days. Same as marine fish today.

One had to have the correct PH for the fish in the tank. Some of the wild caught fish lived in low PH water and that was an issue. Also getting foods that they would eat was an issue. There was a lot of learning about the needs of the fish back in those days. Same as marine fish today.

When was Flake Fish Food Invented?

Dr. Ulrich Baensch of tetra created flake food in the 19050's. By the time I was old enough It was getting to the US. Ah the green and red flakes so pretty n the top of the water.:)

Dr. Ulrich Baensch of tetra created flake food in the 19050's. By the time I was old enough It was getting to the US. Ah the green and red flakes so pretty n the top of the water.:)

So the Fish would not eat Tetra Flakes?

They all Pretty Much will eat Tetra Flakes now.

What did you Feed Them in the 1960's?

So the Fish would not eat Tetra Flakes?

They all Pretty Much will eat Tetra Flakes now.

What did you Feed Them in the 1960's?

Used to be flakes were almost all grain products or byproducts. Now there's much better attention paid to the ingrediants and most if not all (depends if the originating country is using melamine like in catfood) have better nutritional profiles than in the 60's.

Used to be flakes were almost all grain products or byproducts. Now there's much better attention paid to the ingrediants and most if not all (depends if the originating country is using melamine like in catfood) have better nutritional profiles than in the 60's.

I see.

Interesting.

I read an article of how Shedd Aquarium acquired their original stock when the aquarium opened. How they could just take rare specimens from the wild in another country and bring them back to Chicago like it was no big deal. What the heck? The beloved lungfish, Grandad, was fairly easy to take out of Australia in the 1930s(other than keeping it alive long of course!) but now it's illegal to take lungfish out of Australia! The only reason why Shedd got some friends for Grandad was because the Australian government made an exception. The progression of regulations and laws for removing fish from the wild is revolutionary. I wonder what it will be like decades from now? If the regulations continue to expand? What will that mean for fishkeeping?

I read an article of how Shedd Aquarium acquired their original stock when the aquarium opened. How they could just take rare specimens from the wild in another country and bring them back to Chicago like it was no big deal. What the heck? The beloved lungfish, Grandad, was fairly easy to take out of Australia in the 1930s(other than keeping it alive long of course!) but now it's illegal to take lungfish out of Australia! The only reason why Shedd got some friends for Grandad was because the Australian government made an exception. The progression of regulations and laws for removing fish from the wild is revolutionary. I wonder what it will be like decades from now? If the regulations continue to expand? What will that mean for fishkeeping?

Well that Depends on the Fish.

Australia is very strict on what can be exported so there could be issues with Animals from that country.

But a lot of Marine Fish and Coral come from third world countries where they have no money so they could care less about their animals.

All they want is the money.

Australia is very strict on what can be exported so there could be issues with Animals from that country.

But a lot of Marine Fish and Coral come from third world countries where they have no money so they could care less about their animals.

hence Cyanide fishing among other things is used to gather reef fish and other reef items as well

This is why I try not to get fish sourced from Indonesia or the Phillipines

Back