Caulerpa prolifera

?

?

Polychaete, I'm guessing from others' responses that we were hoping this thread would continue in a "positive experience with..." vein. Read (or review) Nilsen & Fossa's "Reef Secrets" (2002), Chapter 7, Reef Algae, also Tullock's "Natural Reef Aquariums" (2001), chapter six, Marine Habitats of the Florida Keys & Caribbean Sea, especially highlighted pgs 170,171. Such tanks are successful when properly setup and understood. Enthusiasm in constructive debate is always welcome, however, attempting to hold other RC members up for derision is not appropriate, and may not be allowed under RC's user policies.

The point was...

The point was...

Polychaete,
The point of the picture was to show you that a very attractive, very inexpensive, macro based aquarium was possible and in fact functional. Your apparent personal feelings toward one individual are not welcome here!
Thank you for playing though!
John

I love that tank, thats almost exactly what I'm shooting for. Is that codium on the right? Do you sell it, I can't find it on your website. What is the red in the back right? Also beautiful. Hell why don't you list what all is in there?

Oh and I don't remember bob's pictures, but my personal favorate tanks have few corals and tons of macro overgrowing everything. Which is what I'm in the process of attempting now. I could care less if Polychaete or anyone else likes the way it looks. It sets in MY living room not theirs. I want my main tank to look about like what most people's fuge's look like! Hey they are more exciting to watch most of the time anyway.

Apology accepted :). I would like to point out that Polychaete recently showed both quick wits and a great deal of caring when another reefer, who was out of town, was informed his sump wasn't working by his mom. Polychaete quickly alerted this RC member's local reef club to come to his rescue (it was a Kalk-encrusted pump impeller that froze up).

OK . . . now we are back on track . . . here I am. LOL, someone just starting to dab into marine algae and what I find to be most a fascinating part of the hobby. I set up a 29 gal. fuge last weekend and have some of the 'grape' from my old 5 and a half test fuge going in it. I am just not 'plant man,' yet. But I want to be. I want to grow each kind and am I bubbling yet? That is how I want to be. I feel this should be on of the highest used sections on the site. One can make a change by doing and teaching. Then they can teach and we all learn . . . from each other.

So if it is converts you wish . . . here I am . . . Help me, teach me, lets make it what we want it to be . . . I am big on the teaching part, once learned. I make mistakes with plants and people . . . like most everyone.

I think I like the fuge more than the tank? Can I say that here? LOL. My fuge 'pearls' like my FW tanks . . . but it looks cooler in salt water. I have had some low level PO4 and have used Seachem to remove and or reduce it to below what I can detect. I wish my 'flora and fauna' to do this for me, naturally. Am I on the right track? I want to grow 'pods' for a Mandarin, that is how both fuges got their start. I hope to use the small one to hold mushrooms and things that need a more quiet place now I have a bigger fuge.

So . . . hello crew . . . got to find a book to see what I have and how to best grow it.

RJ:

You are definately on the right track. You may even find the people who look at your tank may find the saltwater plants just as interesting as the display.

RJSorensen - Ah! There's the rub; finding a book specifically about culturing marine plants/macro algaes in general. MUST be someone from Europe who can help us here? Anyway, I can recommend "Reef Secrets" by Nilsen & Fossa (link to Amazon from "books" here on RC). In any case, just remove the Seachem to allow for some nitrogen products to become available for your grape caulerpa to utilize, add an edible species like Gracilera for your herbivores, then cut back on skimming as it grows. Prune and/or feed herbivores the macro regularly for nutrient export to force new growth/greater efficiency. Algal scrubbers tend to not overstrip nutrients (i.e., taking out bloody well EVERYTHING indiscriminatley, including trace elements needed by sps/lps/soft corals). Even a pristine Acro display will be made happy, and so will the clams every Acro fanatic wants to keep in the same tank, using a properly maintained algal 'fuge. For your future Mandarin addition, use a brine shrimp net material or micron filter bag to make a barrier in the 'fuge to hatch brine eggs and feed up copepods with frozen or live phytoplankton in the quietest area of refugium. Put some Chaetomorpha in this area for the little buggers to shelter in. The pods and shrimp will breed, and can be harvested by using a turkey baster to transfer them en masse to the display (some will live and breed in there, too). I've seen this method is being used by experienced Mandarin keepers in many threads on various websites (I, too, wish to keep one someday - lot o' research!).

Rj and mellen

Just out of curiosity. How do you guys feel about the problem and solutions suggested in this thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=390637

It is not my intent to poke fun or flame the newbie. Just seems to me that the cloudy water problem would be rapidily corrected by establishing a thriving plant growth. And that if a thriving plant growth had been established as the first thing, then the cloudiness would habe been avoided all together.

Last edited:
I am not sure I should comment, the cause can be from so many things and the cure is hit and miss, as well. The premies you support is sound however and I would have no problem in supporting it. I do believe that the day will soon be at hand that people will laugh when you tell them you set up your fuge separately from the display tank. I think they will be sold and taught hand in hand and this is the start of same.

My new dream tank is, lol, three tanks. All of them 120 gallons, the right and left are fuges one for pipe fish the other with a sea horse, the main tank with coral and fish is only there to provide the food source for the fuges . . .

M'Ellen I am digesting your post . . .

Last edited:
I think it's all about diversity and what an individual wants to create for their ideal aquarium - hopefully within reason for the health of the wild life inside that little box of water. A "Micronesian Biotope" table Acropora display would look unnatural with (and these corals' sensitive tissues possibly irritated by) a bunch of macro algaes in the display. But in the wild, those plants are nearby in another neighborhood of the reef, and have a lot to do with the well-oxygenated, diamond-clear quality of the water where Acros grow best , and so, a sequestered algal scrubber/refugium is appropriate. Seahorses need lush vegetation to forage in for copepods, to safely rear their vulnerable young, and to hide in away from predators, and so, a dense growth of macro algae should be encouraged for their tanks. My newest idea for a tank, as example, is a very long cross-sectional slice of the lagoon and back reef. To keep everybody happy, I will somehow have to scale model several very different biotopes. Some areas will have plants, some will be "pristine" looking sand flats, and some areas will be very turbulent and rocky. Animals will be placed in their most appropriate, natural zone as to stratum and light and water flow/nutrient concentration. Of course, I plan on small, passive, hardy, adaptable species, very preferably all from the same geographical region, 'cause on this scale Chaos could - and probably will :p - ensue! Either way, it will be facinating to see what the critters decide to do! My job will be to provide nurture & respond to emergencies, but otherwise let them mind their own business of survival as they see fit to go about it.:rollface:

Yes, I have found the right place . . . How intriguing, I could work this into my three tank system, my dream sysem, a fuge on either side of a display tank . . . I can see your vision M'Ellen and wish you luck if you are able to persue same.

Everything is just practice for the next system . . .

RJSorensen said:
Yes, I have found the right place . . . How intriguing, I could work this into my three tank system, my dream sysem, a fuge on either side of a display tank . . . I can see your vision M'Ellen and wish you luck if you are able to persue same.

Everything is just practice for the next system . . .

Actually would all three tanks be refuges for the other two? Just a thought.

I agree this is the place.

FloridaPets: On your site you say paspaloides is least of the caulerpas to go sexual. Here possibly prolifera. In your opinion which is least to go sexual?

Different Caulerpas going sexual

Different Caulerpas going sexual

Okay, here is what I can offer based on experience. We have been collecting and holding about four different types of Caulerpas. I have observed many differences in growth rates and reproduction traits. The Caulerpa prolifera is the Caulerpa we have had the most experience with. We have collected, grown, held and sold Caulerpa prolifera for over four years now. The Caulerpa racemosa has been collected for about 2 years and the paspaliodes, some feather, and some razor, for about 1 year.

I must add this disclaimer: I do not "try" to grow any of the macro algaes as of yet. I would like to expand our operation to include aquacultured macros in the near future, but for now it's strictly collect, hold, sell. With that said, I can say that the Caulerpa prolifera is without a doubt the hardiest of the aformentioned Caulerpas. It will withstand a large variation of salinities, temperatures, and flow rates.

In the last four years I have seen the Caulerpa prolifera "go sexual" twice. The first time was in a display aquarium in the store I operated in Cocoa. It was a 55 gal. fish only aquarium with some live rock. When I closed shop one evening all was fine. When I opened the next morning the aquarium was bright green in color. I proceeded to do a 50% water change, and discovered that the Caulerpa was gone. I refilled the aquarium, and within two hours the water was crystal clear and all remaining inhabitants were fine.

The other experience I had of witnessing prolifera "going sexual", was while collecting it. I will usually collect prolifera 2 or 3 times per week. I had collected prolifera on say, a Monday. When I had gone back to the same spot to collect more on say, a Wednesday, it was gone. There had been approximately an acre of substrate that was completely covered with prolifera. The entire acre was gone within two days. In the wild there were no apparent reprocussions. The water was still clear in that area, there were no signs of stressed or dieing fish nearby. In both cases, my best guess for why the prolifera had chosen to "go sexual" was overcrowding. The 55 gal. display tank had roughly three to four lbs. of prolifera, and the area in the wild had patches of prolifera growing on top of itself.

When Caulerpa is used as a nutrient exporter it takes nutrients from the water and converts them into food. Therefore,
when it goes sexual it converts its chloroplasts (cells the Caulerpa used to make its food) into gametes. These gametes, if left without doing a partial water change, will die off and cause a higher nutient concentration. The sexual reproduction of Caulerpa itself DOES NOT release nutrients into the water.

Since we've been collecting the paspaloides we have not seen it "go sexual" yet. It does however have a different growth pattern than prolfera. Paspaloides will grow on a long runner sending shoots up every so often. Each shoot will have about four or five leaf structures on top. The paspaloides is very gelatinous, which is to say it will "bleed" quite a bit when damaged. It's growth compared to prolifera is slower and more self controlling. Depending on aquarium conditions, paspaloides will grow in one direction and die off from the other. If conditions are super, paspaloides may send up two new shoots as the oldest shoot dies off. If conditions are fair the rate is equal, one new shoot, one dead shoot. Paspaloides is a very attractive Caulerpa, and safe enough to use in a display tank without herbivourous animals. It may not grow fast enough to use as a highly effective nutrient exporter in a 'fuge.

For highly effective nutrient exportation to be used in a refugium, my opinion is that Caulerpa prolifera is by far the best refugium nutrient exporting macro to use. It must be pruned depending on it's growth, but you won't find a large surface area macro or faster growing macro anywhere suitable for refugium use. In my opinion the next best refugium macro would possibly be Chaetomorpha. Chaetomorpha does have a fast growth rate when conditions are right for each specific type of Chaeto. But that's another story.

Prolifera is very stable, hardy, and safe to use for any fish only with live rock aquarium. I cannot say with experience what it may or may not do to different types of corals, but I would suspect with a good skimmer, sump and or refugium, there could be no ill effects to corals either. Paspaloides is a very safe, hardy and beautiful macro for use as decore in a display or a refugium.

I'm still looking for more Caulerpa prolifera experiences on this forum. We've had mostly just good comments or experiences, I'm waiting to see some terrible horrifying experiences.
John

Heavens to Mergatroides!!

Heavens to Mergatroides!!

(Snaggle Puss)

"I have a horror story! John & Shelley sent me so much C. Prolifera, and it's so bee-ootiful! I'm gonna have to set up a whole new tank just to house it!

A Shopping We Must Go....
Exit, stage left!"....:dance:

Caulerpa prolifera took over my main show tank like a wild weed. I had a big ball of it when it was under control. Once it got on the rocks, it was impossible to control. It was a good nutrient export. Out break of cyno smoothered all macro and eventually killed it off.

I use Cheateo(spelling?) in refuge now and no caulerapa will grow?

IME your better off with the chaetomorpha and not worrying about caulerpa ;)

Back