CAUTION: drug interactions!!!!!

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
Cupramine: from Seachem
http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Cupramine.html#faq2.
Q: I've been dosing with Cupramine™ and then I added Product X and everything died. What happened?

A: If Product X is a reducing agent such as ParaGuard™ (or other aldehyde based medications), or if you overdose with a dechlorinator, such as Prime® then the Cu+2 will be reduced to Cu+. Cu+ is 10 times more toxic than Cu+2.
Now this is for cupramine but the reaction should be the same for any copper containing additive I would think.
--------------------------
Cupramine: do not combine with hyposalinity treatment. Do not have carbon in your filter while using. And an auto-topoff unit in the hospital tank is a very good thing where dosing copper, particularly with sensitive species, so your levels of this med do not fluctuate due to evaporation. Not indicated for: angels.
-------
Metronidazole: very rough on some species if dissolved in water. Good where you have no clue whether it's fungal or bacterial or even parasitic, but this is very difficult to dose properly. Food soaked in this antibiotic is probably best and gentlest, administered in a hospital tank.
-----------

Last edited:
This interaction is unique to Cupramine.

It is the broken amine bond that causes the toxicity issues with Cupramine. UV, carbon, and ozone will cause similar issues with cupramine, but not with any other copper product I am aware of.

The carbon is perfectly harmless. The problem is that it does remove copper, and reduces the copper below theraputic levels. Cupramine is the most effective and safest copper treatment available, hands down. Adding any other copper containing substance while treating with Cupramine is incomprehensibly foolish. Small amounts of Prime (not an "overdose") are not dangerous, though adding anything besides the medication itself is unwise. Before medicating you should know what condition you are treating. Shotgun treatment approaches are a bad idea, for fish or humans.

Cupramine: do not combine with hyposalinity treatment
So just a quick question, My display tank salinity is at 1.023, I currently have the tank fallow for an Ich outbreak and have the fish quarantined using Cupramine. Where should I have my salinity at? My LFS said I should lower it to about 1.017, Is this correct?

Can anyone advise if you can treat copper and malachite green concurrently in a QT ?

Specifically, I'm wanting to know about API's "Super Ick Cure" - malachite green and nitrofurazone and Seachem's Cupramine.

Cupramine and Prazipro

Cupramine and Prazipro

Chloroquine reduces the bioavailability of praziquantel (in rats and humans), so that is a potential interaction when using for an aquarium. I use these two drugs regularly in quarantine treatments...but never concurrently.

http://www.mims.com/USA/interaction/Search/praziquantel|chloroquine

So Cupramine lowers bioavailability of Prazipro? What percentage are we talking about. It is an interaction, but is their clinical significance to this?

wait so if i use seachem prime for my water changes that may have caused my fish rapidly dying within hours? because my tank was fine then within hours lost 7 of 11 fish all on their sides breathing heavy and i thought it was my new powerheads bc water tests came back fine and nothing ever died prior last 2 years and still cant figure out what happend

wait so if i use seachem prime for my water changes that may have caused my fish rapidly dying within hours? because my tank was fine then within hours lost 7 of 11 fish all on their sides breathing heavy and i thought it was my new powerheads bc water tests came back fine and nothing ever died prior last 2 years and still cant figure out what happend

Had same experience using prime and prazipro...anybody know why? Low oxygen? Bunch of fish dead on bottom next morning with red glls, mouths open, no sign of disease that I could see.

Ridley n Ironwill, did u add Prime to a coppered tank?

"Prime, like most water conditioners on the market, is a reducing agent. *Therefore, when combined with Cupramine, has the potential to reduce the copper from a safe form to a more toxic form. *We do not recommend using the two products in conjunction with one another. *However, since Prime only remains active for 24-48 hours, you can prepare your tap water 2 days prior to adding to the aquarium and it will be perfectly safe. *At that point, the Prime will have dechlorinated the water."

Two days after Prime is added the water it will still be dechlorinated and will not react with copper. *

Product Support Seachem

Last edited:
i have no clue what copper treatment is about so i would assume no i wasnt treating with copper but i was using quick cure with seachem prime

Had same experience using prime and prazipro...anybody know why? Low oxygen? Bunch of fish dead on bottom next morning with red glls, mouths open, no sign of disease that I could see.

Same here, Prazi Pro with Amquel and I ended up with a bunch of dead fish. Took me a long time to come up with this conclusion, I always thought it was whatever I was treating that led to their deaths, I didn't know the fishes were dying because I unknowingly made the water toxic for them.

I wish these companies would label their medecine to warn people not to mix with Amquel, Prime, etc...

Back