CAUTION: drug interactions!!!!!

I have a 125 I'm setting up for a treatment tank for my DT and leaving it fallow for 10 wks. My question is if I use a water conditioner when I fill the after how many water changes would it be safe to use the cupramine? What do you do about ammonia when using cupramine, use a detoxifier? Obviously water changes

I'm wondering about interactions between malachite green, formalin, and praziquantel. I've determined that my fish have flukes, and possibly some other internal parasites, and I want to treat my entire aquarium with praziquantel (PraziPro), so I ordered some from Dr. Foster and Smith. The only problem is that it wont be delivered till Monday, which is another three days. The LFS doesn't have PraziPro on hand, which is why I had to order online and now wait for my shipment. In the mean time my fish is getting worse, and my other fish are beginning to show symptoms. My LFS has a solution that contains malachite green and formalin, which I was initially trying to avoid because I have inverts an live rock in my display tank, and assuming all my fish probably have it I wanted to just treat my whole tank with PraziPro. I'm starting to worry that they wont make it long enough to get my Prazi shipment. I'm wondering, if I set up a QT and treat with a low dose of the LFS's malachite green/formalin solution (as apposed to the high dose dip method) for the three days stated on the directions, would it then be safe to add my fish back to the DT after the 3 days (on Monday when the PraziPro shipment comes in) and treat my DT starting Mon with PraziPro. I would do this to kill all traces of Flukes in the tank including eggs, as apposed to leaving my tank fallow, because I don't believe leaving all of my fish in my small QT for a month is reasonable. At no time would the malachite green, formalin, and PraziPro be mixed together with my fish in them, but they would go from the one solution of malachite green and formalin, to the DT with PraziPro. Also, should I add anything else to the DT with Prazi to help minimize the possibility of any secondary infections? Or is all of this a bad idea? Thank you in advance

What are any known drug interactions with this product:

Rich Ich Plus, containing formaldehyde 4.26% (11.52% formalin) and zinc-free chloride salt of malachite green.

Incidentally, I have used Prime/amquel with this product (the Rich Ich Plus says to do a 25% water change with each daily treatment) with no ill effect on FRESHWATER ich cases...

Can I mix Prime and Kanaplex? I cannot contact Seachem as they are closed now. I don't want my fish to die! Someone please say they have done this before without any ill effects?

Hi Guys, I am currently treating my 500 gal fish only with CP @1 gram per 18 gallons everybody seems ok but my Tinkers butterfly and my lineatus female wrasse have developed like something on their fins that looks like fragged or splitting can I add any bacterial medicine with the Chloroquine Phosphate?

Prazi

Prazi

I noticed a lot of posts going back some time saying that some combination of prazi + something killed their fish. I treated my fish in hypo with prazi because prazi is a relatively mild treatment and also it is indicated for freshwater as well, so obviously hypo shouldn't be a problem.

I noticed my water in the hospital tank got very cloudy and the fish started to become listless/lethargic. Not acting like themselves, not swimming around much. Then I noticed the chromis start gasping at the surface.

I tested the water and ammonia and nitrite were zero and nitrates weren't too bad either. I started doing a bunch of searches and research and learned that the prazi can cause bacterial blooms due to the carbon in it and that the bacteria quickly use up all the oxygen so you need to more aggressively oxygenate the water.

I hooked up a powerhead that has an airline to aerate the water aggressively and within an hour or so all the fish were back to their normal selves.

I also learned an interesting thing that chromis are actually like canaries in the coal mine. They are more sensitive to low oxygen levels, or so I read. At least now I know what to look for.

Anyway, with all the discussions about prazi, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth of experience.

Don't use ANY water conditioner with Cupramine, it will make the Cupramine much more toxic at a lower dose. To the Prazi question I would want to know what your trying to treat and with what? Why do you want to use formalin and PP?

with pond fish, most meds say 'aerate' or 'be sure your pond is well aerated. This is not bad advice for tanks. Your skimmer is vital in aeration. Beware of advice to cut it off. At very least, supply an aeration bubbler in the sump. If your problem is foaming, just take the cup off and let it foam to its heart's content: as long as the foam resorbs into the regular water eventually, it won't hurt your tank.

Last edited:
Back