Chicago Area Local Fish Stores

OK, that worked, here is a map of all stores in the Chicago area.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...2.037054,-87.890625&spn=1.293262,3.515625&z=8
Ok... I tried it last night on my Droid... and it works FANTASTIC! It's funny, because I was just talking to my fiancé over the weekend... that I was hoping someone would develop a store finder app similar to the Flixster app (for movie theaters) or RedBoxer (for Red Box locations)... that could use your GPS location and tell you where the closest fish stores are.

Your map works great for this. For all you Android users, the key is to open Michael's link on your phone using the Maps app (as opposed to the Browser)... the Browser works, but it's MUCH slower.

I actually saved your map as a bookmark on my home screen and set the default to open always with Maps. Here's how...

1) Open Michael's link on your phone with the Browser (preferably using TapaTalk to open the thread). Make sure that "Use by default for this action" is Unchecked (you'll change this later).

2) Use the menu button and select "Bookmarks", then select the "Add" option for Michael's map.

3) Rename the bookmark "Fish Stores" and select "OK".

4) Use the back button to close the Browser and return to the home screen.

5) Add a Shortcut to your home screen and select "Bookmark".

6) Select "Fish Stores" from the list.

7) Open your new bookmark from your homes screen and put a check in the "Use by default for this action" box, then choose the "Maps" option.

That's it! Now every time you open "Fish Stores" from your home screen, it will automatically open Michael's map with the Maps app... showing your GPS location and where all the fish stores are around you.

You can even take this one step further if you use the Maps "Latitude" option and add local reefers to your Friends list. Then, you can see the GPS location of other reefers in your area too!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1816478

Hey, I'm from Indianapolis and am going to be in Chicago this weekend. The map that you guys have of the LFSes was awesome! However, I was hoping that you could help me figure out which one might have the largest coral selection and which one might have the largest fish selection? I'll be in Lakeview but am willing to drive to get some good stuff. Thanks for the help in advance!

For coral this weekend:
go to Coral Reef Pet Center
or come to the 2010 JOLIET AREA REEF CLUB FRAG SWAP
Date: Saturday, April 24th
Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Location: Joliet Elk's Lodge, 250 SE Frontage Road, Joliet, IL
or Midwest Coral Farms
or Sho Tank Aquariums
These all should have some fish, I think Sho Tank has the most.

Not sure what your looking for as far as fish but a store that is not too far from where you will be is aquatic reef, the corals are pretty basic but the fish selection is pretty nice. They are located right by damen and belmont ave. Otherwise i would try old orchard aquarium in skokie for fish, for corals i would go to midwest coral farms as mentioned or sho tank.

Rob's Aquatics
17135 S Harlem Ave
Tinley Park IL 60477
708-444-ROBS (7627)

Closed Mon
Tues - Fri 11am - 7pm
Sat - Sun 11am - 5pm

Julie's Pet Shop- Saltwater Dept Located in the Basement
2214 N Milwaukee Ave
(between Attrill St & Prindiville St)
Chicago, IL 60647

M-F 9am to 8pm

Saturday and Sunday 9am to 6pm

Just went here today for first time...it is the largest fish store i have ever seen...Almost 4 times as big as the next biggest ive seen.
For its size, the corals are lacking, but have decent sw fish selection, and AMAZING freshwater section (both plants and fish), including 2 2000+ gallon tanks that are in a hallway. If i was doin fw id shop here to doubt...
Its definetly worth the drive to check out, they have some really really cool display tanks set up.

Aquarium Adventure
11 Golf Center
Hoffman Estates, IL 60169

and

744 East Boughton Rd.
Bolingbrook, IL 60440

They have 2 locations

http://www.aquariumadventure.com/

Definetly worth checking out.

Just went here today for first time...it is the largest fish store i have ever seen...Almost 4 times as big as the next biggest ive seen.
For its size, the corals are lacking, but have decent sw fish selection, and AMAZING freshwater section (both plants and fish), including 2 2000+ gallon tanks that are in a hallway. If i was doin fw id shop here to doubt...
Its definetly worth the drive to check out, they have some really really cool display tanks set up.

Aquarium Adventure
11 Golf Center
Hoffman Estates, IL 60169

and

744 East Boughton Rd.
Bolingbrook, IL 60440

They have 2 locations

http://www.aquariumadventure.com/

Definetly worth checking out.

the hoffman estates one had nicer displays and more fish for sale.
the bolingbrook one has more tanks for sale and dry goods. it also has a SW pond in the front door
they have a fish club and sometimes has killer sales, but not always the best fish. like all stores they get shipped to them what they get.:sad1:

the hoffman estates one had nicer displays and more fish for sale.
the bolingbrook one has more tanks for sale and dry goods. it also has a SW pond in the front door
they have a fish club and sometimes has killer sales, but not always the best fish. like all stores they get shipped to them what they get.:sad1:

I'm happy to see someone else post about the Aqaurium Adventure in Bollingbrook. I've been checking in on them since they opened and I've got to give them some credit for what they are doing there. Sure the fish selections are going to vary, and their prices are average. However, I've seen a steady attention to the health of the livestock and their presentation. On several occasions I've asked questions of enthusiastic young employess who were quite knowledgable. Even better, I asked how large a particular fish would get and the employee went and looked it up rather than try to bluff me and sell me something inappropriate for my tank. Needless to say, I didnt' buy that day but I've been back to make purchases since then.

I'm happy to see someone else post about the Aqaurium Adventure in Bollingbrook. I've been checking in on them since they opened and I've got to give them some credit for what they are doing there. Sure the fish selections are going to vary, and their prices are average. However, I've seen a steady attention to the health of the livestock and their presentation. On several occasions I've asked questions of enthusiastic young employess who were quite knowledgable. Even better, I asked how large a particular fish would get and the employee went and looked it up rather than try to bluff me and sell me something inappropriate for my tank. Needless to say, I didnt' buy that day but I've been back to make purchases since then.

Wow, I went to the bolingbrook store. I did not see clean tanks nor fair prices. $55 for Koralia evo 1050. They had tanks of Aptasia and bubble algea, I'm not sure how much they were charging. One tank had a nasty rusty razor blade in the bottom and after I pointed it to a employee, he shrugged.

Just my honest opionion.

Hello all Chicagolanders! I'm from Colorado and am in Chicago for vacation. I had a huge list of LFS's that I was planning on visiting while I was here, but to my surprise most of them either their phones are disconnected so I don't know if they exist anymore, or they don't exist. I was just wondering if the map on the first page is updated?? That's a great tool if it is! I also am open to any suggestions as well!! Ill only be here through today and tomorrow as I wasted yesterday chasing down my list. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Back