Chromis disappearing

aquapod24

Okay so I bought a school of ten chromis fish and within days they were all gone. I assumed my lionfish even though I never seen him go after them so I sold him. Purchased 10 more and a few days later all gone again. Mainly tangs in my tank. I have a 4" porcupine puffer, 5" blue face angel and a mated pair of pink spotted gobys as well, a small file fish. They disappear at night when all lights are off. I have never seen one actually get eaten and I checked my sump not down there. Which fish is picking them off?

Check your overflow box, i have notice that sometimes when you add new chromis into your tank some tend to hang out by the overflow baffles and they end up in your overflow area. Also if you have rocks with lots of crevices they will hide within the rock and come out when they are comfortable. Also maybe your puffer is killing your chromis by chasing them and even maybe eating them.

Also i notice that when you purchase a large group of chromis sometimes the chromis themselfs will kill a few from the pack if they feel they are too many at the same time in the tank. Not always but happens.

I found that my red and yellow serpeant starfish were also having late night snacks. They both died after 13 years and now I can keep my little school of chromis. A few also fell victim to overflow as mentioned. Good luck.

Your puffer is probably looking at you like " I don't know what happened to them, but if you drop 10 more in, I'll keep an eye on them. "

Lol and my wife will not let me get rid of him. That's her baby lol and I'm like your baby has eaten $80+ worth of fish.

lol sounds like you need to start making better decisions on fish selection and knowing what you could put in your tank and what you can't.

Hell if i'm going to add a fish into my tank that i will know it will get eaten by another fish lol.

I have triggers in both my SW reef setups even tho i have shrimp and other inverts but i knew how to add them and took a lil risk. So far great.

But be more selective lol unless you could purchase large full grown chromis then they may have a chance but not 100%.

Gotta love the SW world, its a fishy fish world.

Last edited:
Back