Which butterflies will eat aiptasia

wvned

Premium Member
I have not been able to keep file fish in my 240. They dont do well in the flow. I am thinking of adding a butterfly in the hopes it can deal with the flow and not make the tangs go off on it.
I need to find a larger fish and an wondering which types to look at?
I have a Kleins in the other tank but he isnt very big and I hate to take him out of a tank he is happy in..

Do you have corals in the 240? If not, a Raccoon Butterfly might work for you. Years ago in the 450 I had a Majano problem and the Raccoon made quick work of those.

I’ve heard Kleins, raccoon and copperband. I have no experience with either of them but the pick based on past research appears to be the Kleins.

I’ve heard Kleins, raccoon and copperband. I have no experience with either of them but the pick based on past research appears to be the Kleins.
I have a Kleins and Raccoon now. I had a Copperband in with them for several years but he passed.
There are no aiptasia in that tank but I don't know which eats them.
There are corals in the 240. The only ones they could eat are the euphyllia. That would make me unhappy.
I have 2 filefish in the 75 right now. Watching them swim has convinced me they are never going to work in the 240.

The other more long term option might be investing in a dozen or so Berghia and let them populate as they eat

The other more long term option might be investing in a dozen or so Berghia and let them populate as they eat
I think they would simply be fish food. I only have a few tiny aiptasia in the cracks. I no longer have a large number of them anywhere in the system.

How about Peppermint shrimp? I’ve had pretty good luck with those over the years. That said, depending on this fish you have in the 240, that may not be an option.

How about Peppermint shrimp? I’ve had pretty good luck with those over the years. That said, depending on this fish you have in the 240, that may not be an option.
My large angel eats salad shrimp from the grocery. I bet he would love some live ones to hunt.
There are some living in the 75 now. Either them or the filefish have cleared the 100s of aiptasia in there. I had a filefish in the 240 for years but he eventually passed and his replacement lasted about 9 months. I need a bigger more able replacement.

I have used all of the methods mentioned in the past. I think a butterfly may be my only option. A larger copperbanded that will eat LRS food would be great. I just dont know how to get one.

Last edited:
My large angel eats salad shrimp from the grocery. I bet he would love some live ones to hunt.
There are some living in the 75 now. Either them or the filefish have cleared the 100s of aiptasia in there. I had a filefish in the 240 for years but he eventually passed and his replacement lasted about 9 months. I need a bigger more able replacement.

I have used all of the methods mentioned in the past. I think a butterfly may be my only option. A larger copperbanded that will eat LRS food would be great. I just dont know how to get one.
I don’t know what @Dr. Reef feeds his but perhaps he may take a special request?

I don’t know what @Dr. Reef feeds his but perhaps he may take a special request?
Funny you should mention that. I have already PMed him (her/them) on here. They said tell them what I want.
I would like to give them some options on the type of fish. Thus this thread.
All the fish are listed on their site as medium, which doesn't mean much to me.
I am not very familiar with butterfly fish. The ones I have now are my first. They are nice but usually come very small.
The copper banded I got lived on white worms I grew for a long time. I don't even have any anymore.
Old age slippage.

So I Pmed them back with a request for a copper banded or Kleins.
I also want a tang for the 180 but it has to be large enough for my eels not to eat.

nothing ventured nothing gained

My Sailfin passed 2 days ago. It was the second biggest fish in the 240. With a clown and the mystery killer tang in there I don't think I could add another tang.

The mystery killer tang was supposed to be a 2 spot bristle tooth that stayed small for the 180. It is as large as my clown tang now and has killed a Niger trigger and Tomini tang I know of. Maybe others. It is black on a photo but has subtle yellow fins and markings when it is excited.

In the last several orders that had fish, the fish came in very poor condition. Very thin. Only about 1 in 3 has made it.
I don't order fish very often and this has about stopped me altogether.

Last edited:
Yea. I haven’t ordered many fish but I generally try to avoid winter when shipping anything

I have a group of Semilarvatus in my reef they decimated all my aiptasia and they nip at some of my zoas. I have clams sps and larger anemones that are all left alone. I’ve had a few types of butterfly’s, the file fish and a few different types of shrimp with little to no luck. I was very surprised to see the Semilarvatus going nuts on them 😂

I love CBB for aiptasia. Beautiful long live fish that keep my tank aiptasia free I often tak a LR from my sump where I cultivate aiptasia up to the DT as treat for her (that is a female)
IMG_2329.jpeg

Back