Cleaning out a skimmer question

Shagsbeard

I've had a coralife supper skimmer 125 for about a year and the thing's getting pretty grungy in the reaction chamber. I can leave it alone, but it really should be cleaned out. Problem is getting to where it needs cleaning. Is there some trick to getting down into the chamber that I'm missing, or do I just have to tough it out with a crusty skimmer?

If you give it a good cleaning your going to have to break it back in. When I remove the collection cup I make sure I clean the neck of the skimmer the best I can with a finger and a hand towel. Thats the most I do to my skimmer besides clean out the collection cup very well. I guess it could get really nasty inside and a dip in vinegar and water should clean it up as well.

Hi

I generally clean out all the equipment insideout every month, including the skimmer inner body and the pump impellers etc.

I now realize the that the skimmer takes a day or two to start bubbling, but overall isn't a good idea to clean the gunk out? It may be leeching stuff back into the tank?

Also, I read a trick to add a little extra water conditioner to get the bubbles started, and it works, but you have to be careful that the colluction cup does not overflow.

So, I think cleaning the skimmer is a good idea. I clean all my freshwater equipment too.

Back