Cobalt neotherm heater just blew up!!!

I have a 25W heater from this company and it works great and many other people have experienced really positive reviews with the smaller models in nano tanks. To be honest for a heater that actually maintains a temperature on its own pretty well it is a decent buy for the smaller ones around $30. But obviously if you need a serious heater you should be going with eheim jager on a controler...but that combo is about $130 min vs $30 for a small nano heater so just a thought that the design was probably based on supplying nano heaters and they scaled it up for bigger to get some more market share and their product has a problem. There are a ton of heaters on the market and they all fail or have problems so if you dont have $130 invest into your heater alone you are probably rolling the dice to some extent either it getting stuck on/off at a bad time or melting/exploding.....

Setting a 34g solana soon and have seen good reviews about these so I almost bought two of these. Read the reviews and saw at least 4 incidents of these blowing up. No thanks, I'll stick with eheim jagers.

Add another to the list

Add another to the list

Loved these heaters until this morning when I found a bunch of smelly crap in my tank and a busted open neotherm. I have these heaters running on several tanks and am going to replace them all. I contacted Cobalt and asked them to replace all my current neo therm heaters with their glass model.

I can't believe this issue is ongoing and no one at cobalt has tried to warn retailers/consumers about the issue. They have acknowledged a defect in their product but continue to allow it to be used and sold. Makes no sense.

Will update with response from Cobalt, or lack thereof.

It's just the housing that's made by plastic, I recall the interior is some kind of epoxy.

Epoxy is plastic.

I can't believe this issue is ongoing and no one at cobalt has tried to warn retailers/consumers about the issue. They have acknowledged a defect in their product but continue to allow it to be used and sold. Makes no sense.

Your inconvenience likely makes sense to them because the amount of actual defective heaters compared to sold heaters is relatively small. A statistic zero if you will, which is frustrating to me.

Last edited:
what wattage Chicago? Hope your live stock makes it ok.

I had a 200 watt heater that was purchased last year on Memorial Day.

As soon as I heard the POP of the heater I looked into the stand and saw the huge puff of thick white smoke. Having read this thread last year I KNEW what was happening so I ran to the laptop to turn off all flow with the Apex. On the way to the laptop I heard a second pop. Once off I pulled the walls of my stand off to look in the sump. Two fish I have been holding in the fuge for the last couple days were already showing signifigant distress. I'm not sure if it was because of the black tar that was released or if it was electricity. I pulled the heater and threw it in the trash and scooped the fish out with my hand and placed them in a small bowl with water from the DT.

Since I reacted so quickely none of the water from the sump was able to make it into the DT. After an hour they seemed to be doing much better but this was not how I was hoping my morning would go. I was standing a foot from the tank watching the news before I showered and ran out to work. I can't imagine what could have happened had I not been home. I've got a tank of rare expensive fish and coral and I could have lost it all had I not been aware of this issue or not at home. One of the fish in the fuge was a Borbonius Anthias. I'm glad I was home...but man I am ****ed. My entire apartment smells like the fourth of July and my hands still smell like a petroleum geyser. When folks mention the horrible smell from the incident, they are not kidding. It's disgusting. And the black ooze is almost impossible to clean up.

I've tried calling them today a few times and no one ever answers the phone. I just posted on their Facebook page. I'll email them tomorrow once I have calmed down as well.

I had terrible service from them when I contacted them. I will NEVER purchase anything from them again, and I make sure I tell everyone I know not to.

chgoblknazn,
any luck contacting them or did you get the cold shoulder like Frank?

Funny you should ask. I posted to their Facebook page on May 13th and I got a response from them on FB on May 20th. They left me a number to call and said they would work with me to resolve the situation. I was finally able to get someone on the phone this morning and the only resolution they offered was to send me another 200w heater. They also asked if it would be possible for me to send them the heater that exploded. I told them I threw that petroleum smelling heater in the garbage in my alley that morning. This new heater will never see water in my home. Great resolution, Cobalt!!! :deadhorse:

What would you expect them to do to make it right? Not questioning you as I am sure I would be very frustrated in that same situation but at the same time what expectation do you really have?

For all you wondering how to resolve this with Cobalt, go back and read my post on this thread, where I finally got a response. I just got a bunch of food and stuff from them--worth more than the heaters I lost.

Back