Cobalt neotherm heater just blew up!!!

Cobalt neotherm heater just blew up!!!

I honestly don't know if we can say if it was a small batch or not. If they made 20,000 of these and 5% were bad, that would be 1000 units. A 5 or even a 1% failure rate is still unacceptably high for something like this. A small percentage is still a big number. The concerning part is not just the percentage of failures, but the mode of failure as well.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know if we can say if it was a small batch or not. If they made 20,000 of these and 5% were bad, that would be 1000 units.
I've counted to 33 bad units in this thread (the real number could be higher of course). With the 0.3% failure rate fishlee mentioned above that means 11000 units sold altogether (both good and bad ones).

I think it's very safe to assume that the number reported here in this thread is a small percentage of units that have failed or will fail.

Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater problem

Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater problem

I was woken up last night at 4am by my wife saying there was a problem with my tank and she could smell something that wasn't right. Came out to find water all over my floor and a horrible smell. As I shut things down one by one, I got shocked by the water in my sump. I thought it was the heater in my sump so I unplugged everything that wasn't necessary to inspect each item.

Then I found my Cobalt Neo-Therm heater that was in my over flow, fully submerged had exploded. It cracked all the way down the side and plastic was pouring out the side. ***!

Attachments

• IMG_3185.jpg
    IMG_3185.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3189.jpg
    IMG_3189.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3187.jpg
    IMG_3187.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
I was woken up last night at 4am by my wife saying there was a problem with my tank and she could smell something that wasn't right. Came out to find water all over my floor and a horrible smell. As I shut things down one by one, I got shocked by the water in my sump. I thought it was the heater in my sump so I unplugged everything that wasn't necessary to inspect each item.

Then I found my Cobalt Neo-Therm heater that was in my over flow, fully submerged had exploded. It cracked all the way down the side and plastic was pouring out the side. ***!

What was the wattage?

I pulled my and replaced with its a titanium finnex. Now I can sleep again at night.

I's not a Finnex but I did just have a titanium heater (made by Pro Heat) explode on Saturday. The guts of the heater were at 1 end of the sump and the titanium tube at the other. It cracked the bottom seam of the sump and I came home to find it leaking water all over the floor. Just because it's titanium doesn't mean it won't explode.

Allen

This is awesome information. I was literally looking to free up space and considered buying these for my sons 40g and my soon 150 g tanks. Thanks rc great information and my condolences for those how lost livestock.

I's not a Finnex but I did just have a titanium heater (made by Pro Heat) explode on Saturday. The guts of the heater were at 1 end of the sump and the titanium tube at the other. It cracked the bottom seam of the sump and I came home to find it leaking water all over the floor. Just because it's titanium doesn't mean it won't explode.

Allen

I basically meant that I can sleep cause it's any heater other than the neotherm. I've heard nothing but great things about finnex tho

Is there still issues with the new batches of 200w Heaters?

I was thinking of getting two of them for my 100g ish build. I have a 75w one in my current tank and it's been rock solid

Wouldn't want to find out the hard way. My suggestion is a controller and the finned titanium tubes. Love mine. No longer worried about the cobalt crashing my tank. I moved my cobalt to the mixing rig.

I do have an apex. And have been debating what to go with for a heater. Could do 2x 150w neotherms for the 100g

Do the finnex heaters keep it pretty stable?

I have 3 of the ViaAqua titanium heaters. My 300w (connected to the Apex) keeps my 100+ gallon system (two tanks, one sump) within a degree. Highly recommend. I would never, ever buy a Neotherm after reading this thread!

I do have an apex. And have been debating what to go with for a heater. Could do 2x 150w neotherms for the 100g

Do the finnex heaters keep it pretty stable?
Having the neotherms on controller isn't the issue. It's the heater that cracks and explodes in your tank and it'll do it controlled or not. All heaters should be on a controller

I have 3 of the ViaAqua titanium heaters. My 300w (connected to the Apex) keeps my 100+ gallon system (two tanks, one sump) within a degree. Highly recommend. I would never, ever buy a Neotherm after reading this thread!
You shouldn't. I learned the hard way almost two yrs ago.

Is there still issues with the new batches of 200w Heaters?

I was thinking of getting two of them for my 100g ish build. I have a 75w one in my current tank and it's been rock solid

I was lucky enough to find this thread before I replaced my heaters. After a lot of research I stuck with two Eheim Jagers connected to an Apex.

Good luck!

Back