Cobalt neotherm heater just blew up!!!

Hi guys, I'm thinking of ordering a 100w neo therm... Seems like there's been no issues with 100watts, and the 200w issue may be fixed with their redesign?

How do I know the production date? I will make sure the 100watt I get is from a 2015/2016 production...

Not sure if anyone has noticed this but it is kinda funny. Take a look at a cobalt neotherm box. If you don't have one handy, go to Bulk reef supply and look at the neo-therm heater and it will show a picture of the box. Notice the smoke that they used to decorate the box with? Haha, it's almost like an eerie foreshadowing of what is to come if you use one of these heaters.

Should be a tag on the power cord with the date stamp on it . Also check out post 126.

I just picked up a neotherm 75 and it has no date tag on the cord, or anywhere! Wonder if that means it's the new redesign?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll chime in. I had the 200W from the bad batch. It didn't blow up - but failed and my temp crashed way low. After an email with Cobalt they sent a replacement 300W Accutherm (glass version) - while there Neotherm's were on back order. I eventually got the 300W Neotherm replacement (which is 2 150W together), they let me keep the 300W Accutherm even!

I've been running the 300W Neotherm for about 7 months now without issue. I also am running them 300W Accutherm as a back up.

No plastic heater for me thanks to this thread. I'm sticking with Eheim Jaggers with an Apex backing them up. Always had good luck with them and with the apex, GFCI, and a ground probe, I think I'm where I want to be heater wise.

Thanks again for this this thread as it was very helpful for me when I went to upgrade my heaters!

Isn't it safe to say there are probably horror stories associated with most heaters?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Isn't it safe to say there are probably horror stories associated with most heaters?

Not like these plastic heaters like the neotherm or marineland stealth.

Most should worry about a heater stuck on. Some may end up leaking voltage of various amounts. A few may just stop working or stuck off.

A full blow out is very rare but yes possible but usually it's due to an accident of something in the tank hitting it or major lack of cleaning it and its 5 plus years old. See my last point below before the beananimal link. The older a heater is the more likely to fail in some way. All these heater meltdowns are with newer heaters. That's scary.

Having a controller like a Ranco, Apex, Reefkeeper,etc and multiple smaller heaters will help the stuck on issue.

GFCI will help protect you for harmful leaking voltage. CAFCI/GFCI even better. If at all possible, keep the top of the heater out of the water will help prevent leaking voltage.

Replacing a heater even if working every year or two helps protect against all the above.

Heaters should be thought of as disposable like RODI that needs is membrane and filters replaced periodically.

Always a good read.
http://www.beananimal.com/articles/aquarium-heaters-what-you-need-to-know!.aspx

Last edited:
Cobalt neotherm heater just blew up!!!

I actually had a fluval 300watt blew up on my 2 months ago when I was setting up a QT. I left the room and came back to smoke and bad smell. The whole water was fouled up. It appeared the bottom glass of the fluval blew up. The fluval was about 5 years old though.

One of these:

4dc658e9e40216eac7cd117e058252f5.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to say this happened above but if a glass heater is ever taken out of the water while on should never be placed back into service. IMO.

Isn't it safe to say there are probably horror stories associated with most heaters? .

Yes, but if a glass heater explodes in your sump, it will not leak all that black tar that covers everything in your tank and kills all of your livestock....like it did mine.

Yes, but if a glass heater explodes in your sump, it will not leak all that black tar that covers everything in your tank and kills all of your livestock....like it did mine.

Well, the fluval that exploded on my QT was just nasty.. Black stuff all over the tank.. I couldnt even use the water.. dumped it all out and still had to scrub the tank real good to get the black stuff off.

Well, the fluval that exploded on my QT was just nasty.. Black stuff all over the tank.. I couldnt even use the water.. dumped it all out and still had to scrub the tank real good to get the black stuff off.

My experience was such a nightmare. I'm just glad I was standing next to the tank when it happened. I was heading out for work. Needless to say, I was late going into the office.

I have a 250 watt or 300 setup. Can't remember. It's two units together. Mine was purchased in June of this year. I'd like to think they solved whatever that was and that issue is behind them now. BRS seems to think very highly of their heaters. My only complaint is that the indicated actual temp on the heater is about 2.5 degrees off. I just set it higher than what I need and let the apex cycle it in and off. Maintains less than half a degree variance if I keep ambient in the office fairly consistent.

FYI, I didn't say that statement in what you quoted.

FWIW, Electrolysis can do some very cool things with the chemistry of the water. :bum:

Heaters arent that profitable for manufacturers being they are mostly simple and many can somewhat accomplish the job of keeping a tank in the 76-80 range.. IMO by now we should have one comoany that makes a sturdy, powerful, accross the board reliable unit.

Cobalt was on the right path until these 200w started blowing up and although Ive used two 150w for over a year, Im always keeping an eye on it.

Im not sure the company will overcome this heater reputation.
Im on a new system with all equipment checked flawlessly, with two Jager 250w, which although work well hooked up to the apex, are not up to the same level of other top equipment in the hobby.

BRS seems to think very highly of their heaters.

I thought that was weird a while back (like two years ago) that they had these plastic heaters with their star of approval and I even emailed them to make sure they were aware of this thread.

With BRS's new 160 gallon tank build series you will notice that they did not use a plastic heater but use a glass one. Jaggers if I remember correctly.

Back