Cobalt neotherm heater just blew up!!!

This sucks.

Mine is in the filter compartment of my nano and i keep the top of it above water. From the very top of the dial on up.
The king of FIT on you tube lost $5000+ with two of his rays with the same model blowing up in his sump

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I yanked my Neotherm heater setup (it's for sale by the way) and replaced it with a 300 watt Yager.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/eheim-jager-trutemp-aquarium-heater.html

Be warned, it's really long (barely fit) and kind of ugly. I wish I had not lost confidence in the Neotherms as they look great, totally blend in (I run my heaters in the DT where my probes are), and seem to be more efficient (run less and keep a stable temp).

That being said, I'm not taking any chances.

I have an apex unit and BRS basically said there top choice for a setup was an apex running the Jager. Which is what I did.

I find the Jager is on a lot more and has slightly more variation (I don't think it heats as efficiently as the 300 watt master slave setup the Neotherm has), but they're reliable and proven.

As a bonus, they're cheap too at $35 lol.

207478-eheim75wtrutempheater-a.jpg

Just use 2 smaller heaters. I do that for redundancy and they are hooked up to the apex.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just use 2 smaller heaters. I do that for redundancy and they are hooked up to the apex.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's my eventual plan. Right now I have the original apex. Had it for 3 years. My energy bar is slap full.

Supposedly Apex will be coming out with an alk controller and tester in the near future.

I think at that time I'll upgrade to an entirely new system, get their dosing unit, etc and run the whole thing off the new version of apex. When I do I'm going to get two energy bars next go around.

Fortunately, I live in Florida and have to be more concerned about the tank overheating than getting too cold :)

I yanked my Neotherm heater setup (it's for sale by the way) and replaced it with a 300 watt Yager.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/eheim-jager-trutemp-aquarium-heater.html

Be warned, it's really long (barely fit) and kind of ugly. I wish I had not lost confidence in the Neotherms as they look great, totally blend in (I run my heaters in the DT where my probes are), and seem to be more efficient (run less and keep a stable temp).

That being said, I'm not taking any chances.

I have an apex unit and BRS basically said there top choice for a setup was an apex running the Jager. Which is what I did.

I find the Jager is on a lot more and has slightly more variation (I don't think it heats as efficiently as the 300 watt master slave setup the Neotherm has), but they're reliable and proven.

As a bonus, they're cheap too at $35 lol.

207478-eheim75wtrutempheater-a.jpg

Agree that the jager is a bit ugly, neotherm heaters look sharp. As far as heating, nothing comes close to a jager 300 w unit. The jagers heat the most gallons per watt out of any heater out there, period. The internal thrmostat is probably crap, but I run mine on the apex and it is dead accurate.

Agree that the jager is a bit ugly, neotherm heaters look sharp. As far as heating, nothing comes close to a jager 300 w unit. The jagers heat the most gallons per watt out of any heater out there, period. The internal thrmostat is probably crap, but I run mine on the apex and it is dead accurate.

My issue is that I run an open top tank that is near an AC duct in the ceiling. Major evap.

When I had the dual 150 Neo's, I ran one on the left side and one on the right. Seemed to heat very efficiecently with tremendous accuracy.

I have it as close to center as I can (on the side of the center overflow) but it doesn't seem to perform as well as the Neo. That being said, it's certainly very good, I'm just being picky. I'll take a half degree here and there and running a little longer than the Neo in lieu of an incident with the Neo...

My issue is that I run an open top tank that is near an AC duct in the ceiling. Major evap.

When I had the dual 150 Neo's, I ran one on the left side and one on the right. Seemed to heat very efficiecently with tremendous accuracy.

I have it as close to center as I can (on the side of the center overflow) but it doesn't seem to perform as well as the Neo. That being said, it's certainly very good, I'm just being picky. I'll take a half degree here and there and running a little longer than the Neo in lieu of an incident with the Neo...

Got you. I think once you get the heater hooked to the apex it will get better. The neotherms are dead accurate, but I would never bet the safety of my house on it. To me it had given us enough reasons to avoid it completely

Got you. I think once you get the heater hooked to the apex it will get better. The neotherms are dead accurate, but I would never bet the safety of my house on it. To me it had given us enough reasons to avoid it completely

It is hooked up to apex with the greater than less than programming and the Jager set to a few degrees higher than my Apex temp preference.

However, it seems like it takes longer to get it back to temp when it falls below my programmed threshold than the Neo did.

Damn. How much damage to the tank?

I yanked my neotherm about two months ago. Never looked back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I had a "crash" about a month before I found this. Not positive it's the cause or not, as there were extenuating circumstances... You can check my other posts for the details

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I had a "crash" about a month before I found this. Not positive it's the cause or not, as there were extenuating circumstances... You can check my other posts for the details

Ironically I had a 300 watt neotherm in my tank with constant problems. I finally yanked the heater out of concern with it bursting and the whole tank bounced back (knock on wood).

I haven't looked that closely at the heaters (covered in gunk) but I suspect they may have had small micro cracks and started leaching stuff into the tank. Nothing to prove that but as soon as I pulled it and out a Jaeger in, everything became happy again. Coincidence? Who knows....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

A jeager is definitely in the plan for me now. Too much to lose!

Back