Cobalt neotherm heater just blew up!!!

A jeager is definitely in the plan for me now. Too much to lose!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
And at like 35 bucks it's a no brainer. Rock solid with my apex. It's big but works really well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

A month ago, I removed two 200W NeoTherms from my dt after reading this thread, especially after seeing that this was still happening with the newer supposedly redesigned version. Replaced them with EJs. The Neotherm concept is awesome and their temperature control top notch, but a risk is unacceptable and there's nothing to do to mitigate it except replace the heaters.

The Cobalt Accu-Therm otoh has been working really well for me. Kept a rubbermaid of live rock at a steady temperature for a month now.

And this is why I dumped the cobalt line of heaters and now use a finnex heating tube.

It's all metal, no temp sensor to malfunction, and rock solid performance. Of course one down side is it needs a controller of some sort to control it, but 99% of us use them already anyways.

And this is why I dumped the cobalt line of heaters and now use a finnex heating tube.

It's all metal, no temp sensor to malfunction, and rock solid performance. Of course one down side is it needs a controller of some sort to control it, but 99% of us use them already anyways.
Which is why most of are switching to Jaeger. Lots of people run an apex so it's a no brainer to get the Jaeger if you can control temp with the apex.

Which is why most of are switching to Jaeger. Lots of people run an apex so it's a no brainer to get the Jaeger if you can control temp with the apex.

Jaegar still has the glass that can crack, he is talking about a all metal heater that couldn't happen too.

Jaegar still has the glass that can crack

Yes, but how often does that happen if the heaters are secured well and positioned underwater at least up to the line, in a location where they can't easily be touched by anything? Probably very very rarely.

The titanium heaters have a lot of appeal. Although, even though I use an Apex, I chose EJs because I like that the EJs have an internal thermostat. Set it just a bit above your Apex temp range, and each serves as a partial check on the other malfunctioning.

Im going all titanium. Its not worth losing thousands in corals amd livestock over a $100 part. I dont want a glass heater at all. Always though this was a risk and this thread confirms it.

Do they crack? Hadn't heard of that happening before.

Not often, its possible with the glass though. The safest way would be all metal but Jaegars are great enough. I use a glass wrapped Cobalt on the same level as the Jaegars

Not often, its possible with the glass though. The safest way would be all metal but Jaegars are great enough. I use a glass wrapped Cobalt on the same level as the Jaegars
I was just going by the product description for the Jaeger heater on BRS. Seems to imply they are shatter proof. For whatever that's worth:)

4d9e21ff1df0f5462b5d62f51cfc0720.jpg

I was just going by the product description for the Jaeger heater on BRS. Seems to imply they are shatter proof. For whatever that's worth:)

4d9e21ff1df0f5462b5d62f51cfc0720.jpg

Borosillicate is pretty hardy, but I've broken enough bongs made of it to know that its not shatter proof :)

Borosillicate is pretty hardy, but I've broken enough bongs made of it to know that its not shatter proof :)
Lol. Since no one is packing a bowl, getting high and dropping these heaters on the floor... They should be ok :)

I'll resurrect this thread. Husband was home this morning when my 100W neotherm heater exploded just like previous posts. I haven't been home from work yet to see the damage myself, but orange goop was leaking into the water column. Heater has been running for a while"”couple of years at least.

I just finished by build and put two of the 150s in my sump after seeing BRS rave about these heaters.

Unfortunately the jagers are far too big to fit my sump. I have a 300 w in my mixing barrel and it's huge.

Ugghhhh I suppose after reading through a bit of this thread it's not worth the risk?

What's the general consensus on the newest models ? Seems everyone has just given up on these heaters? Shame since the size aspect of this heater makes it very attractive

I just finished by build and put two of the 150s in my sump after seeing BRS rave about these heaters.

Unfortunately the jagers are far too big to fit my sump. I have a 300 w in my mixing barrel and it's huge.

Ugghhhh I suppose after reading through a bit of this thread it's not worth the risk?

What's the general consensus on the newest models ? Seems everyone has just given up on these heaters? Shame since the size aspect of this heater makes it very attractive

I threw mine away...

Neo-Therm 200 Watt Failed

Neo-Therm 200 Watt Failed

IMG_7323.jpg

I have used this brand of heater for a few years. One in my display tank. One spare and one to heat my freshly mixed saltwater.

Today I mixed ten gallons of saltwater and placed the heater in the brute trash can i use for mixing. About two hours later my garage smells like a chemical factory.

The heater had a 6" split on the front of it. The manufacture date on this unit is 8/2017. This heater really doesn't have that many hours on it.

Back