Coming back after 15 years...

I have no experience with Cade but as mentioned, I’ve seen nothing but good reviews with many saying it’s very high quality. I think you’d be very hard pressed to find anything regarding leaks. Only iffy review I’ve seen mentioned something about power board switches feeling cheap and some sloppy silicone work in the sump.

Im doing research on which brand tank system to buy and saw your post about Red Sea. Can you recommend another brand that is of better quality?

You rarely see failures and they all can have one. . Marineland and Redsea have been the ones with allot of failures. You rarely hear of Marineland failures anymore maybe they fixed the issues or few buy them anymore.
Sad thing is I owned both. RedSea I sold before the known issues but never felt comfortable with the stand. Lost allot of money on the Marineland aquarium and never used it. Went to leak test it saw the stretch in the seams and emptied it. Because it had been drilled they would not warranty it even though it has nothing to do with bad seams. I was so angry the build never happened. I had a stand I could not use since it was odd size aquarium and tossed. I had purchased all the lighting, skimmer sumps etc and had to sell all at a loss.

So anything other than them.

Depends on what you want.

Lots of package aquariums out there now, Lots of standard and custom aquariums that are good.

Since you are looking at Redsea I will say Cade, Image Marine, Water box etc. I have only used Water Box out of those but you almost never hear of any failures out of that group..

My first choice was Cade, second was what I bought, Innovative Marine. I researched for a year before I bought. I found evidence of multiple seam failures for every brand of manufactured rimless tank, except Innovative Marine. Some brands I had never even heard of before. I found a single one for Cade on their FB group, and it seemed like Cade got involved quickly and was taking care of the person. I'll need to pop in there and check on the outcome. In the end, I decided to go IM because of the euro-bracing. I concluded that there would always be some risk of seam failure with any large, completely rimless tank.

What happened next is completely shocking to me. And I pray it is not a bad omen. Look at the date this IM seam failure was posted:

Now, scroll up and look at the date of my post with the tank sitting in my garage. I took delivery of the tank April 26, 2024. That video was posted literally the next day on April 27, 2024! o_Oo_Oo_O

Un-fricken-believeable!

Last edited:
oh fancy, those are nice!
I think their smallest one is still maybe too big for me. our 40g really maxes out the space. I might have to measure!

A little more progress....

Platform & sump area is done & waterproofed.

Skimmer bought & here
Power heads bought & here
Lights bought (not here yet)
Light rail came in damaged 😥
Plumber moving water heater & plumbing the slop sink had to cancel, hopefully he's coming this Saturday.
Floor slab is being fabricated now & installed next week, hopefully. Carpet guy comes to cut & tuck the carpet to the floor slab.
Then hang light rail, install the wall slab, set tank on stand & plumb it! My 30yr old rock is still cooking in 55g drum with powerheads & lights & heater. I'm hoping to have water in the tank in 6 weeks or less. That's my goal.

Attachments

• 20240610_135626.jpg
    20240610_135626.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
Big step today! Plumber came, moved water heater, ran all the copper & installed the slop sink, and a thermostatic mixing valve to dial the water temp into the RO/DI at 77 degrees. Nice touch! The floor/wall slabs are being fabricated this week, likely installed the following week. I have the UV, lights, hanging kits, and the light rail. I'll hang rail with a laser after the floor slab is in so I can get it dead center. The 30yr old rock is still cooking in the 50g drum. Growing some ugly algae so getting a lot of the ugly stage out of the way now. I'm doing a 100% water change on the rock tomorrow.

THEN, AUGUST 6TH, THE DAY I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!

CORNER REEF COMES TO PLUMB THE TANK AND START FILLING! 🙂

Attachments

• 20240622_172459.jpg
    20240622_172459.jpg
    944.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240622_172415.jpg
    20240622_172415.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20240622_172442.jpg
    20240622_172442.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 24
Any concern with copper leaching through the RODI? I may be thinking incorrectly on this thought

Hmmm, never thought of that. When I was in the hobby 30 yrs ago at my old house it was all copper. This house I'm in now is all copper. Never had an issue before, assuming that I won't have an issue now. Would the ro membrane remove copper?

It looks like the RO membrane can remove it based on a quick search but I can’t confidently say that. @griss is better with RO stuff than I am

Hey Clarkii! Hey Griss! Y’all, it has definitely been a minute. I haven’t been on here in 16 years, well I do see I posted once in 2017. I use to love this forum and the people on it.

Welcome back!!
Holy Cow another blast from the past😀

After much delay, the floor slab goes in next week. And, a YUGE relief, after a 30hr power outage that completely ruined our July 4th holiday weekend & throwing out all of our food in the fridge/freezer for the 4th time in 9 years, the Generac whole home generator will be installed mid August, a week or two after the tank gets plumbed. So no worries about losing any livestock as every outlet used by the tank is priority & will never be load shedded off the generator. With only two of us living here, it's unlikely anything would ever be shedded anyway. Big relief to me!

Back