Cool Fish on Diver's Den

Pulled the trigger on this guy today - wish me luck:

_cfimg-7759452182533640227.PNG

Love those colors. Let's see if he plays nice. Word is these aren't as mean as other damsels.

25 years ago my older brother and I tried to set up a saltwater tank. We had no idea what we were doing - we bought saltwater from the pet shop, plopped in a few blue damsels. They lasted a few hours. I've felt sort of bad about it ever since. Making amends with this guy.

Pulled the trigger on this guy today - wish me luck:

_cfimg-7759452182533640227.PNG

Love those colors. Let's see if he plays nice. Word is these aren't as mean as other damsels.

They are not too bad with other fish, though not for lack of trying.
But even my 3 Grammas can hold their own against my Starcki, usually just by diving away into their holes when he tries to chase them. By now he has realized that chasing them is a largely fruitless endeavor.

Be extra careful with it. These fish tend to die easily.

They are not too bad with other fish, though not for lack of trying.
But even my 3 Grammas can hold their own against my Starcki, usually just by diving away into their holes when he tries to chase them. By now he has realized that chasing them is a largely fruitless endeavor.

Be extra careful with it. These fish tend to die easily.
I think that depends on how they were treated during capture and shipping. The ones from DD should be fine. The only issue with those is that they are likely all males.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Saw that they had a quoyi parrotfish (cute li'l guy!) on there the other night ... not before he sold, but that's probably for the best just now.

That is a fish that intrigues me, and one I'd seriously consider for the 220 once I get it up & running!

~Bruce

I got mines from the same source as DD.
My LFS ordered 3 for me.

One was dying at the LFS in an acclimation bucket.

The other 2 went home with me. I gave them a formalin dip.
1 went on his side in the quarantine tank and died. The other looked fine for an hour then proceeded to lie on its side. Both were fine during the dip.
Other fish species are still alive.:headwalls:

Before these, I tried a fresh water dip and the previous ones died immediately.

I think these are highly sensitive to salinity changes. especially the small ones.

Wonder why? They're rated as easy. Oh well, that's why you gotta love the LA guarantee.

I got mines from the same source as DD.
My LFS ordered 3 for me.

One was dying at the LFS in an acclimation bucket.

The other 2 went home with me. I gave them a formalin dip.
1 went on his side in the quarantine tank and died. The other looked fine for an hour then proceeded to lie on its side. Both were fine during the dip.
Other fish species are still alive.:headwalls:

Before these, I tried a fresh water dip and the previous ones died immediately.

I think these are highly sensitive to salinity changes. especially the small ones.
I got 2 starcki from BZ. Saturday delivery failed so they spent a weekend at FedEx. Both were still alive when they arrived the following Monday, but one was too weak and didn't make it through the day. The other one is still doing fine, over a year later.
Another one I got around the same time from DD is also still doing fine.
2 I got from LA came in sick and died within the warranty period.
The last 3 I got from Jordan (Among the Reef) and those are also doing fine so far.

Ordered an ORA Yellow Assessor trio and one has a rather serious zigzag spine when looked upon from the top. A second one has a much lighter version of this birth defect, but it's also noticable.
Those should have been labeled as blemished or even better, been fed to that pricey grouper, but not been sold like they were perfect.

Ordered an ORA Yellow Assessor trio and one has a rather serious zigzag spine when looked upon from the top. A second one has a much lighter version of this birth defect, but it's also noticable.
Those should have been labeled as blemished or even better, been fed to that pricey grouper, but not been sold like they were perfect.

Did you get a refund? Quality is definitely becoming a joke with ORA stuff and it's disappointing to see divers den peddling it off. I saw this feeder the other day. Just depressing

9e48cc02ef3b003fd1a38b2c007450ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if the price was right on "cull" fish I'd love to give them a good home. I know that these defects aren't good for the gene pool but I certainly wouldn't breed them and they still could use a good home. With that being said, the prices for fish with flaws is absolutely insane and one time I got a bonded pair of canary blennies from them that had some serious physical deformities that were not visible in the picture, they were still a joy to watch, just a surprise to look at when they initially went in the tank.

Back