Copper in tank - What can be saved and what needs scrapped?

dougs280z

I am taking down my tank and going to do a thorough cleaning and basically going to start fresh. My question is what can be saved, what can be cleaned/reused, and what is a total loss. Are my live rocks still useable? Can I "cook" them and reuse them or does that not take copper out? I've heard of using muratic acid, but not sure the process of it.

Do i need to use acid on the tank/sump, or is a general cleaning good enough? How about pumps/skimmers/filter etc? Any help is appreciated as this is going to be a major process. Thanks.

Copper absorb into rocks, sand and the silicon seams of the tank. I personally dont use anything that touched copper in a tank with inverts because I dont trust any method will be able to remove it once it is absorbed.

Everything artificial should be fine. You can clean your tank, sump, pumps heaters ect with vinegar but rock and sand would need to be acid washed.

I use a former qt tank as a frag tank and no issues. I cleaned it well but it had copper in it several times for years before it's current use.

Everything artificial should be fine. You can clean your tank, sump, pumps heaters ect with vinegar but rock and sand would need to be acid washed.

I use a former qt tank as a frag tank and no issues. I cleaned it well but it had copper in it several times for years before it's current use.

I plan on getting new rock/sand, but I definitely plan on reusing my tanks and a few of the pumps. Do you know what ratio of vinegar you used to clean? I would like to reuse some of my live rock, but understand if it takes some time to get the copper out. I figured it might be worth a try to acid wash them and then continue to cook them and check copper levels as I go. I'd hate to have to throw it all out.

What about running the tank with the live rock you want to keep with copper absorption pads for a month or until the pads/resin no longer changes color?
Is this feasible?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have used copper in my tank about 2 years ago and still use the same rock to this day. The few inverts I have are fine. I didn't do anything special to the rock or sand except I used a water conditioner after the tank was restarted after losing everything

You can wash the copper tainted tank and equipment with RODI water made up to be about 5% muriatic acid. Being a strong acid, it will strip out the copper much more effectively. But it is trickier to handle. Vinegar should do the job but just a bit slower.

Back