Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seventeen

Seventeen

0_0_2547b3b92a5adb221d13662a8c5fb0b0_1

Peter I am very happy for you, you have a lot of nice fish and corals but I belive your tank deserves a lot more animals.
I thing you should have an import just for your tank.
Maybe from Indonesia or directly from a large international wholesaler. I am sure Shawn has some ideas. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

I still have the fish that I promise you, is healthy and in very good shape.

Is the black one:

2qalmab.jpg

I must find a way to send it, maybe mr.wilson has some ideas.

Andy :beer:

Great photos, Peter. If I may, I would like to ask a few questions.

1). re. Mr.Wilson's "secret" formula for exciting and feeding of gorgonians, is it really a secret? IOW, are you guys going to share this recipe with everyone in keeping with your "best practices" theme?

2). The new SPS and LPS corals and sponges are all looking happy, but it is not clear if these photos are all in the display tank or in the MARS systems. What sort of prophylactic treatments are you using before putting these inverts into the display tank? Are there any treatments for the sponges?

Thx,

Dave.M

Nice looking elegance corals! Where did you find them so big??

I've had a small gorgonian before and never had any problem with it opening up.. It was growing great until it mysteriously dissapeared one day (it was only frag size). Not sure who'd want a gorg. but its gone..

Is that pulsating xenia in the 25th pic?

What's the secret recipe?

Andy, beautiful tang! :eek1: Is that a Gem tang?

1). re. Mr.Wilson's "secret" formula for exciting and feeding of gorgonians, is it really a secret? IOW, are you guys going to share this recipe with everyone in keeping with your "best practices" theme?

2). The new SPS and LPS corals and sponges are all looking happy, but it is not clear if these photos are all in the display tank or in the MARS systems. What sort of prophylactic treatments are you using before putting these inverts into the display tank? Are there any treatments for the sponges?

Thx,

Dave.M

Yes dave it really is a secret because we haven't optomized the formula yet because we are still experimenting with the right balance but you can rest assured this will be a fascinating discussion at the right time.

Everything except the clowns and sea horses are in the display tank. The coral was given a double dip......Mr Wilson can elabourate.

Peter

Looks like you guys had a busy weekend! Tank and all inhabitants look great.

Don't want to get off topic but for those who asked about the ATM show Tank, they told me two weeks ago that they were starting to film last week and when I stopped by today there was a shiny new trailer out back. Just an assumption on my part, but I'm guessing that's where the production crew works from.

Keep the pictures coming!

-Scott

I have a question about sponges. I read that your not supposed to expose them to air. So how do you go about transferring them from the shipping bag to the tank without getting the bag water in the tank?

Peter, thanks for a photo update, it was much needed...

Shawn, could you elaborate a bit on ReefDragons post (on the part about GAC usage and TOC removal without the skimmer), as it interests me greatly.

Sorry for not quoting the post, i thought it would clutter the thread too much as it is very long.

As usual, great job guys!

Dainius

Most car folks Mr. Wilson would be confused with your reference to the rear wheel drive as the Flying Spur is a 12 cylinder all wheel drive vehicle and that is the only historical car reference they would have. They would not know about the new one yet. If we started to talk about that one then the thread would become unmanageable for both of us. Besides since this would be the first one in North America there would be even less familiarity with the car. Even Sara would be confused.

Hmm, I had better start my research then :wave:

It isn't much of a secret recipe now, it's just a secret. By the time we are done with the formula, it will be both :)

We used a two-bucket system; one with Two Little Fishies Revive (Pine oil & lemon peels). It shares the main ingredient of Pinesol along with the smell :) The other bucket is treated with Lugols Iodine. We used Tropic Marin brand. Both buckets were display tank water. Freshwater dips are too stressful in my opinion. The SPS were placed in the Revive for 10 minutes, then the Lugols for another 10. I removed the acro crabs by hand and reunited them post bath. I missed two of the tiny crabs before they made it to the first bucket. One crab was killed and the other was knocked out for a few minutes. Both of them fled their acro, so Revive does work. The corals didn't slime up or appear stressed from either dip.

Sponges are not known to harbour reef pests and they are difficult to handle safely. I out the bag of water in the tank and take the sponge out, leaving the water behind. Some small amount of water will escape in the process, but the chance of a reef parasite getting into the tank is negligible. Perhaps a few years down the road, it would be worth considering more extensive quarantine, but at this point in time, with little in the tank, the stress isn't warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back