Coralife 220 Skimmer - Microbubble Hell :(

SoulFish

Ok just set up the skimmer in HOB style. And getting massive amounts of Microbubbles.

a. The pump is atleast 4" under the water.
b. The basket top is above water about 1"
c. The hose is tucked into the basket sponge, not pushing on the bottom.
d. Water is overflowing the basket, as well as pushing through the bottom.
e. Skimmer flow is set to "Low"

I've heard that the skimmers need break in time, is that true? After the break in time should these bubble stop?

If not what could I do to minimize the bubbles? (Cannot build a SUMP now :( )

thoughts?

Yes, it does need time to break in. I had a coralife 125 that took about 2 1/2 weeks to break in, and yes I had lots of microbubbles during that time. I also got a coralife 220 for another tank and it only took about three days to get broken in. I did find out that foam for the bottom of the basket gets dirty pretty quick and doesn't allow water flow causing the overflow over the top of the basket. I used the cut to fit, blue and white foam. Just put one or two layers in the bottom. Which ever does better. I also found that I would have to place the hose near the very top of the basket to help cut down on the bubbles. This allowed more space, and time for the water to flow through the sponges and foam to break up the bubbles. Nonetheless, it's still going to have to go through a break in period, and you'll just have to work with it to find what works for you. But once you get it set, I think you'll be satisfied with it. Mine did one heck of a job!!

It is true that skimmers need a breakin time. New ones tend to take longer. My CSS 125 still wants to do the microbubbles thing for a few hours when ever I clean the skimmer.

Let it be for a little while and see what happens.

You might also want to try putting a ball valve in the water inlet to restrict the amount of water going into the skimmer until it has had a couple of weeks to break in. It may help the overflowing problem.

Have you done any other mods to the skimmer? Most people find doing this mod helps (you can put a cap with holes on it to muffle the outlet noise more);

07-10-07-CSS125mods3.jpg

Adding a air valve to the air intake also helps fine tune the beast;

07-10-07-CSS125Airintakemod.jpg

Thanks it I cut the hose on the pump 1.5"es shorter moved the tube in the basket up higher and let it run for 24hrs, that cleared up 75% of it. Still some bubbles, but even if it doesnt get better it much better and I can live with it like it is now. Thanks guys, just new to this saltwater thing. :)

Agreed, cut that hose in half and move your pump up.

When mine was 4-5 inches below the water all I got was bubbles.

Make sure the tip of the intake is like 3 inches below the level of the water.

Back