Crabs, snails, stars oh my! (sorry had to say it)

DSDoyle

Hello,

I have a 150g reef tank that is about 1.5 years old with lots of fish. I am wondering what I should generally consider being the right amount of different types crabs, snails and stars and any other "cleaners" I should consider.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Don

That depends. The usual recommendation from suppliers is a huge number of critters, which will quickly starve when they run out of food. The sustainable number depends on a lot of factors and I would suggest ramping up the number slowly, seeing what works, rather than relying on a magic formula.

Note that crabs or all types are opportunist feeders. For best biodiversity, avoid crabs, including hermits.

As starting suggestions... maybe a dozen Astrea snails to keep the glass clean. For catching food, perhaps a serpent star and a dozen Nassarius snails. A small yellow cucumber is nice for keeping the sand clean.

I concur. Too often hobbyists are advised to get a massive number of CUC critters, and the result is a mass starvation once they've eliminated all the easy food.
Your best bet is to slowly build a crew, a few critters at a time. That allows you to see which critters actually do cleanup, and which are opportunistic, waiting for you to feed

Back