Crocodile Hunter killed by sting ray

There is a thread in the lounge about Steve. He has those that admired him and those that thought he was a raving lunatic.

Nonono. EVERYone admired him......i will conform, i will not disparage the memory of Steve Irwin...i will be assimilated...

Admire him or not, the fact is that he is dead so his wife is without a husband and his kids are without a father.

Yeah I heard the story....Stingray barb straight to the heart. They're saying instant death. I loved the croc hunta. I also heard he was filming something for his daughter's bday?

at first i thought he was cool. then i payed attention to how he treated the animals and lost respect for him as an animal person. then i saw he brought his newborn into the croc pit during feeding time for the show and i lost total respect for him.

we all knew it was coming, it was just a matter of time and which animal he finally annoyed to the brink...

i wish his family the best...

Perhaps you should read the news accounts - he wasn't annoying any animals this time. The ray was buried in the sand and he didn't see it. When he swam over it whipped it's tail up and got him.

A cautionary tale for anyone who goes reef diving, I would say.

i'm guessing that the crew would not be telling us that steve deserved to be stung because he was pestering the animal even if it was true. besides, anyone that has watched his show can form an opinion as to whether he wa likely annoying the animal or not.

same press release -

Stingrays were "dangerous if provoked" - Ross Coleman, acting director at at University of Sydney Institute of Marine Science

the stinger is a defensive mechanism for the animal to escape danger. key word: defensive

Supposedly this was actually filmed, so I expect at some time
we'll be able to see the particular details, whether authorized or not.

Lowell

I was also told by a friend that toured the australia zoo and witnessed a taping of one of his shows that he actually drugged many of the aggressive snakes that he "played" with. That way they were nearly too incapaciatated to bite him. Again, that's hearsay, but anyways. I figured a crock would get him sooner or later anyways. I do think that his main use of animals was money, but again I think he had a genuine love for them at the same time.

I feel badly that his family is without him now.....but is anyone surprised that he got killed doing this...? I mean if Emril died in a grease fire filming his show....would anyone say BAAAM....I can't believe it ! NO ! I am not surprised he died doing this but now don't give me any static about....OOOOH he died doing what he loved !!! That's a load of crap....he is still dead ! Dead is Dead !

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8084871#post8084871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by UH_OH_5_OH
I mean if Emril died in a grease fire filming his show....would anyone say BAAAM

Snort! Yeah that would be me. Long live Alton Brown!

Good call UH_OH...

I still say it is a cautionary tale to anyone who enjoys reef diving. You are entering their domain and any little action could be interpreted as a threat. Maybe not a ray, but likely a moray eel or even a very small but mean damsel!

GIVE THE GUY A BREAK HE IS DEAD AND HIS FAMILY LOST A FATHER AND A HUSBAND. I WOULD HATE TO SEE WHAT YOU GUYS WOULD SAY IF I DIED BECAUSE A CAR FELL OFF A LIFT AND KILLED ME. "I GUESS HE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER TO STAND UNDER THAT CAR"

Back