Cully's SCA 120 build

That's a loaded topic. Gen 2 Radions can be gotten cheaply on occasion. But that's as an aside.

Aesthetically, economically, and in relation to heat, Radions or any programmable, dimable LEDs are a home run. Biologically, the pin point light sources, in my opinion and experience, cause tissue irritation on various corals. From afar the color looks great. But to coral polyps they can be an irritant. The colors don't blend together on a microscopic level like they would from traditional hslide or fluorescent bulbs.

There are many guys who have success with just LEDs. The hobby has taken a back seat to life and. I can't pay attention to my tank in a manner that I used to. This can create variability with certain tank parameters. Not lethal variations but enough that they are exposed by LEDs. I think swings in alkalinity are by far the biggest culprit. For whatever reason highs/lows result in tissue burn and bleaching.

Lastly, I felt that certain coral colors did not do well with LEDs. Pinks, purples, certain blues.

Just my experience. I called Tulio at Reefbrite once when I was contemplating adding the initial T5s. Great conversation. Worth picking up the phone. Just block out 60-90 minutes....

First issue...

Synergy overflow so tight to back of aquarium, there's not enough room to get a Mag-Float through.

I could have run the plumbing out away from the glass but that would have made it more complex than it was. I love a clean back glass and I HATE reaching behind the tank to clean the back glass.

Is there a lower profile magnetic glass cleaner out there? I could pull the plastic cover off of the mag float but I'll still have to get my hand through there. I've not had much luck with long handled glass scrubbers or scrapers.

Not sure how thin your looking but I purchased the "Flipper" from Amazon and its less then 3/4 of an inch. Its by far the lowest profile I have seen. And it works great. They have videos on there site. But that picture looks tight friend. I wish you luck..

Well hot damn... I started making RO water yesterday too. Looks like our 120s will be growing up together! Glad to see this new build of yours!!! Glad surgery went well.

:beer:

^Theres a blast from past^. Welcome back Mel :). Be sure to post up a build thread of your 120 also.

I knocked the top off of my old large mag-float and it will fit. However, my arm and fingers don't. I'll be rigging it onto the end of a stick somehow.

I've been eyeballing the Flipper Dave. Worth the $? The XL is quite expensive!

I love mine but i only went with the standard size. The XL is only needed for thick glass. My glass thickness is 1/2" and the standard works fine. Well worth the cash for me.

Ah poop. My glass is 15mm, means I gotta get the bigger one. $$$, gotta think about it. I'll keep my eye out....

Love everything that is happening here.

To chime in on Gary's comments about a Ghost Overflow on a peninsula... that is what I have and I love it, but I can access the end of my tank easily, as it sits away from the corner of the room:

20160729_180707_zpsjuxmn0db.jpg

I use the Tunze care magnet, which fits between the plumbing and the glass (barely) and my Kent scraper for the spots I cannot reach. I hate having algae (coraline, or otherwise) on my glass

Finished the last bit of plumbing. On my old beananimal I tapped into one of the external stand pipes and ran the ATO and Kalk lines in there. With the Synergy Reef it's enclosed, so I made a stand pipe that empties into the sump.

And....I throw the switch!!!

ITS ALIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!

:bounce2::dance::bounce1::celeb3::beer:

Woot! 'Gratz on the birth of your 120gallon baby! (Was going to guess pounds but starting cringing just thinking about it lol)

No leaks!

No Hari Kari!

Toying with using Fritzzyme 9 again, given the dry rock start up. What little LR I have left has been in a community frag system, so I'm not sure I want to import all of that "life" into my system.

I cycled with Red Sea Reef Mature program on my tank using dry rock and sand. I loved it. Cycle was quick and painless. System worked exactly as advertised.

21 day, I think. I followed the instructions exactly. The params were exactly as Red Sea said they would be.

Back