cyanobacteria,red slime algae

ptr13

How did you get rid of this nuisance algae,other than protein skimming. I tried to do kalk drip but its not really working,its beginning to build in my sump and fuge,covering the chaeto. Help guys? Sending SOS to all my fellow reefers.

Upgrading my skimmer to a massive one helped me. I can suggest blowing out the rocks more often, checking water from my ro/di, sugar or vodka dosing, phosphate reactor and using a good salt mix. Some people have had luck with the 3 day lights out method.

For some reason,the problem just started,not too bad,but its in the beginning stage and I want to nip it at the bud. I will upgrade the skimmer soon,does phosphate pads help at all. It seems like PO4 checked out at .3 the last test. And thanks again for the suggestions,appreciate it.

Chemiclean will get it under control practically overnight, but it's not a long term solution. You need to figure out what's causing it and try to get it under control (increase your flow, lower phosphates, etc.).

I will recheck my phosphates and nitrates and go from there,just added another skimmer in the mix. I might have to use my vertex 280 and a new 40 gallon sump to make use of the space.

Thanks again everybody,I also increased my flow via k4s three of them and mag 9.5 on the return,use to be a seven.

Use chemiclean to get rid of it. But be careful, this stuff is dangerous and can lower your ORP to dangerous levels.

You have to get rid of cyano fast because they release a lot of toxin into the water.

Use chemiclean and change 20%, use carbon. Repeat until they are all gone.

I am trying to clean the sump of the algae first and it seems like its being skimmed away by two skimmers. Thanks guys,I think it is the phosphate,I replaced my pad and it seem to help with less breakout and trying to limit the light for the fuge for now so it will slowly go away. I also increased flow with 3 koralia 4s and hope to upgrade skimmer soon.

sally lightfoot crabs for the red slime algae.
BRS reactor with gfo (phosphate remover).
good flow rate.
Keep water temp under 80 degrees. (Anything over 80.5 seemed to cause my outbreaks).

I like to stay away from chemicals... anyone with me?

Hey thinice,trying to get rid of it naturally too because I have too much corals in my tank if something goes wrong. Where do you get sallylightfoot crabs or can i introduce peppermint shrimp to rid of the slime? The temps only at 79,I have a chiller but thanks for the suggestion thinice,where did you get your phosphate reactor

My tank is packed with corals & I still have had no issues with Chemicean.
FTS.jpg

Chemi clean, water changes, then started Vodka dosing with more dillegent phos and nitrate testing. A few struggling corals were removed from the tank that seemed to be cyano bait. All cyano is gone now.

I don't think that anyone mentioned it yet, but check your lights too. If you have old bulbs the spectrum shift will fuel the cyano.

thin ice,thanks for your suggestions,bought a reactor to control the phosphates,I will keep you posted. I cant wait to hook it up,just too much stuff to plug in,one of the reasons that I am hesitant to get one,my outlets are so packed. :)

Back