dart frogs

Not bad at all. Are you pretty serious about setups and etc for frogs or just a casual hobbyist? It'd be cool to see more members who keep these types of frogs, etc...

Well, I am going to see how it goes with these but if it goes like usual I get carried away and end up with a dozen tanks of them. :)

I noticed Emerald Bay had a sale going on tomorrow. Does anyone know if they have any dart frogs right now. :) I haven't been there since they opened their new store.

I noticed Emerald Bay had a sale going on tomorrow. Does anyone know if they have any dart frogs right now. :) I haven't been there since they opened their new store.

I went in several weeks ago and they did not have any dart frogs. I inquired as to if they were going to get any in, they did not have an ETA.

I ended up getting a pair of bumblebee dart frogs today. They are doing very well and seem to be getting along just fine. I paid a little more than I wanted to but they were too cool looking to pass up. Where is everyone getting their cool plants from? Is there anywhere around here or does everyone order them? I have been looking at Black Jungle Terrarium Supply and they have a lot of cool plants. Anyone have any recommendations on what to get?

Mike look into dendroboard ... Lots and lots of great info

And by the way u can gat majority of terrarium suitable plants at home depot and lowes... Tropical plant section. Just be mindful that theyll mostly come with pesticides and fertilizers that can harm the frogs...all I do is washed them really well ... Clean of every spec of soil in the roots.... And if I'm patient I plant them in an empty tank just to water everyday for a week or so .... Just to be safe.... U really don't have do exactly as I do but it makes me feel better to be safe than sorry ... Those frogs are expensive!

So where did u get your leucs and how many?

I got them at Aquatic Critter. They had several types of dart frogs yesterday. I wanted to get more. :) The ones we got were out and very active.

I got some plants at Lowes before for a terrarium and was thinking of getting some more there for this. I am also wanting some of the lower growing mosses and ferns and stuff.

Mike,

Great choice with the leucs. I have 5, they have a really cool call. It sounds awesome in the tank, but if you have the top off it feels like your in a predator movie.

I've had them for three years or so and they have spawned numerous times. Good luck!

-Pete

I'm thinking of doing a nice background and like the Great Stuff ones I have seen. Is there any other way to cover the GS besides silicone? It seems like it would be very messy. Anything else to just glue some sort of covering to the Great Stuff?

If u don't mind me asking... How much did u pay for them at the critter$?

GS background does get pretty messy and adding slicone adds even more time..... I did the lazy method, I used GS black pond foam and pressed jungle bedding in it.... Sure it probably doesn't look as "clean" as using silicone ... But the background only gets covered up in a few months time

The frogs were $85:eek2: a piece. The guy did give me a reef club discount at least. The other frogs they had were $75.

I was wondering about just pushing stuff into the black foam. I will probably just do it that way. I am trying to remember how but a few years back I made a centerpiece thing for my seahorse tank (which is the same tank I have the frogs in ironically.) out of great stuff and live rock. I think I painted epoxy on it and sprinkled sand over it. It didn't take long and turned out great. Just substitute the sand for other stuff and it should work. I am thinking of making a false bottom and having a small stream running into a small pool. I might put a large diameter PVC pipe in the back leading to the bottom so I can put a small pump in and be able to remove it if something happens to it. I'm in the brainstorming phase now.

Mentalnote, thanks for the link. It looks like it has a lot of info. I'll read it all later when it can sink in.

I'm in Clarksville but i'm not a breeder. They frogs seem to take the winter off breeding anyways, when the humidity in the house drops. They lay eggs all spring/summer/fall though.

Typically, the eggs dry out in the tank but I do occasionally take sympathy on them from time to time and try my hand at raising them. However, it is a bit depressing because I have a high frogglet mortality rate. But I think I found a possible solution, using springtails instead of flies for the first month.

Thanks for the interest gsusfreak but I don't want to discuss selling non-reef related equipment on this forum. I'm too addicted to reefing!!

All this dart frog talk makes me want to set up a tank! I've always wanted to set one up and have even gone so far as setting up the tank/tried culturing fruit flies. Unfortunately, I had problems getting the cultures going so I never bought the frogs. I know what the problems I had are now, so I may try again. Any tips? I've read a lot of the other forums but any tips would be helpful.

I found dart frogs to be much much easier than reefing or planted freshwater tanks.

Then again I only keep easy to keep leucs. I think a tinc would be cool too, doesn't hide, always in the open.

I did a lot of research and the only recommendation would be to keep different types of frogs separate. I know it looks cool to have all the colors of the rainbow but dart frog morphs are looked down upon. So if you raise them few people will want to take them. Also different types have different temperaments, it would be easy for a frog to get bullied and possibly starve to death.

I am by no means an expert, but my other recommendations would be:

-try to get a tight fitting lid on your tank. It will help keep in moisture and flies.

-I don't like to keep my cultures in a sealed contanier like a plastic container. The cultures seem to get too moist and die out.

-Make sure your cultures get light. I keep them in the tank stand with the door open, when company comes over I just shut the door. Now once my 4.5 month old gets to moving this won't work but for now it does the job.

-I have tried different cultures but the best ones are from Josh Frogs (google). Heck, that is where critter gets them too. Buy the media and cups and make your own from them, much much cheaper. I've had to overnight cultures this winter because I was lazy and didn't plan accordingly.

-Research your frog species. Multiple leucs can be housed together but that seems to be the exception.

-You can still go on vacation. You don't have to worry about an overflow, power outage, auto top off going crazy, autodoser going crazy, or the myriad of other potential reef problems.

-Frogs seem to go a week without feeding with no ill effect. If i'm out for more than 4 days I generally have someone feed them every other day. But a a week has happened a few times and I have not had any issue. In fact this sometimes initiates the 'survival procreation' response. Your tank will also have some stray flies that they will pickup during this time.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope it helped.

-Pete

Generally, dart frogs in the wild aren't that poisonous, would make you sick but not kill you. There are some exceptions.

In captavity, the frogs do not eat their native bugs that they derive the toxins from. Here we just feed them wingless fruit flies so they have no toxins in their system. But if you imported amazonian bugs..... ;)

Thanks Pete, thats awesome. Great tips.

I've always wanted a pair of azureus. From what I've read, they are bold and good beginner frogs. I know they are a little more expensive, but it's nothing compared to reef tanks :lol:

A few quick questions,

For your cultures, you recommend not keeping them in a plastic container. One of the problems when I was working with culturing flies was that it was drying out too quickly. Will leaving them in the stand be humid enough? Then again, I made my own media back then, so that may be the reason. I've seen Josh's media and think I will go with that for now.

One of the things I was worried about was vacations. I was a little scared about going on a week vacation and not feeding the frogs. Fortunately, I am able to leave my tanks for a week at a time and have no problems. I just wasn't sure I could do this with the frogs. What you said helps. I've also heard people leaving their media cups in the tank with the lid cracked open. Would you advise that?

Thanks again man. Your advice really helped. Know anywhere I can get a pair of azureus? Or should I just by 3-4 juvi's and let them grow out?

Back