dart frogs

Donny,

If your cultures were drying out too quickly you might want to add more water when you make it, try different media or maybe the plastic box will be the perfect solution. It just didn't work for me, the culture would seem too moist and stop producing weeks ahead of schedule.

I tried the crack the cup once. The problem is that mites get in the cultures (the white specs inside the cup). These mites also escape. I left the culture open for a few hours and I had mites all over my stand and the outside of the glass. Needles to say I was alerted to this by my wife's scream. These are "her" frogs, I just "maintain" them because bugs creep her out. :hmm2:

I do not keep tincs but I really like their look and they are always out. From what I read, tincs kill each other if kept in a group large than a male-female pair. I don't see why you couldn't keep them together when they are younger, but I would assume their is a risk. Again, i'm not an expert.

I do not know where you can get any tincs, you can try the dendroboard or dartden forum. You can buy a few and watch grow, buy a pair or buy a proven pair (has breed sp?).

If you take the plunge good luck. I find them easy to keep, and we are already weird because we have reef tanks, why not poison dart frogs too?? And I can almost guarantee that we all have spare tanks laying around.

There are a couple breeders out east tn... I've had good experiences with Lisa aka "chesney" on dendroboard .... She usually have many different variations of tincs

On another... I will be selling a pair of Azureus soon...I have 4 and theyll need to be split soon.

I kept a cobalt/black and a green/black one back 20 years ago. They were very easy to keep. I had several cultures of wingless fruit flies going at any given time. I had plastic to go cups that i placed potato flakes in with yeast and some water, throw in some flies and cover with thin cloth held in place with a rubber band.

Thanks John, I've seen Lisa's website and was thinking about getting some frogs from her. However, how far off do you think that azureus pair will be? If you don't have a buyer for them and I can get a tank/cultures set up in time, then put me in line!

However, how far off do you think that azureus pair will be? If you don't have a buyer for them and I can get a tank/cultures set up in time, then put me in line!

I was about to say the same thing. :D I need to focus on the ones I have right now though. If Donnie doesn't want them though for some reason I might be interested in a little while.

Does anyone know where I can get the black foam locally this time of year? I was hoping to work on the tank tomorrow but I can't find the foam.

Acehardware had some when I went... For some reason they have been the only place I've seen have them

Im not sure yet when the pair will be ready... I'm still trying to fatten up one of them ... Which I'm only assuming is a female cause it was picked on ... I'll let you guys know whenever I believe it's ready

Do you remember what brand you got? There isn't an Ace in Dickson anymore. I found that Kmart carried Touch n Foam brand so I might check there first. If not I might have to drive a little to get it. I wish I had asked before I went to Nashville yesterday but I didn't. :(

There's only 1 Acehardware where I'm at .... It about 2 miles down the road from
The critter... It's the great stuff brand

I found it at the Lowes in Dickson in the pond section. I looked there on Friday but for some reason I didn't even think to look out there. It looked like it had been there for a while. The labels were faded and there are a few rust spots on the can. :D

I worked on my tank today and I think it is going to look pretty good actually. I put a false bottom in it and am putting a small pool in one corner. I just put in my driftwood and then sprayed foam around it and pushed in some orchid bark. I got a turtle filter which is basically a miniature canister filter and am going to try to have a small stream running to the front. I also found some cool plants for it at Petsmart yesterday.

I have always had good luck just leaving the lid cracked for away trips. I have a lid with a few holes punched in actually I keep clean just for that. I don't have problems with mites though. I have read you can get ahead of the mite problem by tossing the cultures befor they produce since they take longer to incubate... It was something like toss your cultures every 20 days for a few times to erradicate the mites....You may want to try that or reaserch it. I use Joshes for my culture media also and I promise you if I can do dart frogs ANYONE can since I tend to be a last minute, do as little as possiable kinda gal. Hmmm, maybe that is why my reefs never looked great but the frogs do fine :) I just shake in flies and thats it. ( I do dust them ) but have been known to just put my self feeding top on and drop the container in for 2 weeks at a time since my frogs are adults and its not "as important" they get there vitamins every day like growing frogs.

Mike just a note on the pond/stream. Try to design it so it doesn't splash. Both my tanks waterfalls splash and it makes a mess when the dust from the flys gets mixed with the water. But if I magfloated the tank more often I guess it wouldn't get so goopy looking. I take my mag float and a squirt bottle and spray and swipe the inside of my glass and it does pretty good FWIW. Congrats on the babies!

Thanks, good input Angela. I'll definitely try them this time around. When you did the self feeding top... was there a point where there were too many flies in the tank? Could that cause problems?

If they are crawling all over the frogs it could stress them out but mine gobble them up pretty fast. Also, the flys do not all pour out at once in my experience, they tend to migrate out in a steady flow and the frogs set up camp under the container. When my cultures start to get twords the end of producing I lay them on there side on the plastic cross bar and let the few last bugs migrate out little at a time. the media is pretty much spent at this time and dry. A new culture will be to wet and ooze out but I always park my old cultures open for about a week like that and let the last stragglers hatch and hop out.

Does anyone have any springtail cultures or tropical isopods they would want to sell? I am planning on getting some to seed my tank but figured I would ask here first.

I just recently ordered a culture of springtails so mine won't be ready until maybe a month or so

Springtails aren't really necessary if your froglets are already eating fruit flies... mainly for picky eaters like thumbnails

I know they aren't really necessary. I mainly wanted to try to get some going in the vivarium just to clean up some and maybe provide a snack occasionally. :)

I have been meaning to take some pictures of the tank but I keep waiting too late and the frogs are already where they are going to sleep at. I couldn't find one for a while yesterday and finally found him in the middle of the brom I have in there. :D I just looked a little while ago and he was in there again tonight.

I am thinking of getting 2 or 3 more. There is a guy selling them for $30 on Dendroboard. Would that be about right for a 40 gal. tank? I have been reading that the leucs do well in groups.

Back