DAS skimmer club

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14257291#post14257291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hyolee
I'm still having a problem with gurgling / splashing sounds with the output of my EX-3 skimmer. I have the output piping going down 45 degrees submerged a few inches beneath the water level.

I was looking into doing the gate valve mod on the output to reduce flow through my skimmer, and thought of an idea which might eliminate the gurgling / splashing

Instead of having the gate valve pipe up to the T and then come splashing back down, gurgling air in the process, couldn't I just add a gate valve after the union and remove everything afterwards (piping up to the T and 45 degree piping back down). The gate valve would be submerged so there'd be no splashing / air.
The way i fixed the splashing and gurgling air was to have the sump water level covering about 1/3 of the output pipe. So the water doesn't have to splash and the air can escape.

Check here for the silencer.
I just used a pill bottle to diy one. Ghetto but works.

Good info on the air pull #s and pump spinning backwards.
How often would you say your pump spins backwards?

So whats the total air pull for your skimmer?

I think I'll DIY it as well. $30 is ridiculous.

I usually never turn off my recirc pumps, so I've only caught the pump spinning backwards once. When it did, I took the pump out and checked the flap. It was a little stuck and after a nudge it became free. After that, it spun the right way on startup.

I run my skimmer with my valves off, because I like to skim wet. So, I am getting 6.5 lph x 3 = 19.5 lph on my EX-3.

I just started a new tank, and with only 3 small fish and direct feed from overflow, I'm getting a crapload of skimmate.

Ive never had the pumps spin backwards.

I also used better valves than the stock ones which are restrictive. I ran the pumps at about 5 - 5.5 LPM per pump on an EX-2 Thats where it ran best for me. It pulled close to 6.5 LPM per pump through the wide open upgraded valves.

BTW ... the pumps will pull abput 8 LPM per pump but thats with the water level in the skimmer just at the Aquabees ouputs. The added water pressure from a full skimmer reduces the air flow ... obviously.

One comment on the submerged gate valve. They usually have a metal screw that attaches the control handle to the valve. Not sure what these are made of but its not stainless steel that will hold up to salt water without rusting ... not on the cheaper valves anyway. Probably wont be a problem but something to think about because it most likely will rust/corrode pretty quickly. Maybe it can be replaced with a nylon screw, I dont know, I never submerged a gate valve.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14264936#post14264936 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by painkiller1009
Darg where was the water line when the pumps were off.
Also how high was the bubble break in the neck with 5.5lpm?

Havent used the Das for a while but my water level with pumps off was a little below where the black abs concentrator started, from memory. Bubble breaking point maybe half way up the neck or so. The skimmer had a gate valve mod.

Does anybody know if I can get a venturi for these things? I've called petorama once, E-mailed a couple times, still no response.

Here are the pictures of the components that came with the pump, along with the picture of the label. It looks like the input nozzle screws into the shroud, so I'm not sure if the venturis that you have are threaded or, if it slips over this nozzle.

Here are the fittings laid out, I need a venturi that is either going to screw into the pump, or fit over the nozzle with the male threads on it, which screws into the pump...
IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

This is with all the parts assembled:
IMG_2174.jpg

Here is the back of the pump. It says DAS on the back and has all the specs of the pump:
IMG_2178.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14271827#post14271827 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by USC-fan
It should be pretty easy to diy. what happen to the one that was on the skimmer?
I'm using a different skimmer, I never owned the skimmer body... I bought it to use as a needle-wheel pump with an alternate skimmer body.

I never thought buying parts would be so difficult. I'm nervous to even ATTEMPT DIY'ing ANYTHING to this pump, as I have been getting a run-around just trying to get a venturi for the volute. God forbid I break the shaft, or something :(

my recirc pump is leaking like a sieve from the bottom...I took it apart and cleaned it today and the pump is absolutely fine and works perfectly...but there appears to be another O ring on that seal that must have gone bad...is this possible? If so does anyone know what size it is or where I can find one? I can't imagine paying for a whole new pump when it is in perfect condition.....it started to have a tiny little leak about 7 months ago (a drip here and there) but now its a full on leak and I have tried to silicone it and still nothing....it leaks before you even turn the pumps on and continues after they are all on as well....sigh...i love this skimmer....any help would be GREATLY appreciated.....

help......anyone.....
my recirc pump is leaking like a sieve from the bottom...I took it apart and cleaned it today and the pump is absolutely fine and works perfectly...but there appears to be another O ring on that seal that must have gone bad...is this possible? If so does anyone know what size it is or where I can find one? I can't imagine paying for a whole new pump when it is in perfect condition.....it started to have a tiny little leak about 7 months ago (a drip here and there) but now its a full on leak and I have tried to silicone it and still nothing....it leaks before you even turn the pumps on and continues after they are all on as well....sigh...i love this skimmer....any help would be GREATLY appreciated.....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14774729#post14774729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vickreyreef
help......anyone.....

Vickeyreef ... im mailing your neck Orings today. As I suggested, Oringsusa.com is going to be your solution for the pump Oring. Measure the ID and OD of the Oring and you can find one there to fit it. Calipers are best but you can use a ruler to measure it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14774729#post14774729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vickreyreef
help......anyone.....

Vickreyreef ...

Orings USA ... I believe this one will fit it, cant guarantee it but it's the one I would buy if I were buying one for the pump seal.

http://www.oringsusa.com/catalog/pr...02426&osCsid=cc24cd00b8dfdb6984e1c9d6d5a03bbf

hmmm I think we are getting closer. I just measured to the best of my ability and I came up with these dimensions...
1 3/4 x 2/32w

any clue what that could be? lol...i have to say I am completely over my head here with these o ring sites LOL...
But you have been a life saver for me the last few days......

I measured my Oring with Calipers both metric and standard. The size I linked to is very close if not THE Oring and it is the SAME Oring as the metric equivalent. As it is, the fit is not tight, just snug. Worst case, if the Oring I linked to is slightly thicker cross section it should still fit and make for a even tigher seal.

The standards are measured in ID and OD. The Metrics in ID and wall cross section. 1 11/16 is just 1/16" larger than 1 3/4" and the caliper is definitely more accurate than a ruler. The caliper also measures the Oring cross section at just a hair over 2mm. 3/32" is 2.38 mm.

I havent missed on a Oring I have ordered yet by measuring with the calipers. There is a first time for everything but these are the ones I would order.

But it's up to you ...

Good Luck

Back