DAS skimmer club

Please post if they work or not. I think they will work but regardless, atleast they are cheap.

ok...I'm back with good news!! We ordered every O-Ring above and below where we measured and also the one DarG measured....the one we measured is the only one that fit and worked (shocking to be honest since we used a ruler and made some big guesses lol)... (DarG the one you suggested was too thick and we couldn't screw the bottom on....but thank you SO much for taking the time to measure!I really do appreciate it)...there are just so many on that site and all so close in measurement....so here is the one you will need:
031 BN70 (1-3/4 ID X 1-7/8 OD X 1/16 W)

oh and also got the neck ring and its perfect so thank you yet again for that!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14874524#post14874524 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vickreyreef
ok...I'm back with good news!! We ordered every O-Ring above and below where we measured and also the one DarG measured....the one we measured is the only one that fit and worked (shocking to be honest since we used a ruler and made some big guesses lol)... (DarG the one you suggested was too thick and we couldn't screw the bottom on....but thank you SO much for taking the time to measure!I really do appreciate it)...there are just so many on that site and all so close in measurement....so here is the one you will need:
031 BN70 (1-3/4 ID X 1-7/8 OD X 1/16 W)

oh and also got the neck ring and its perfect so thank you yet again for that!!!

Sometimes you just gotta wing it :)

The two sizes are very close and it's not an exact measurement with calipers either because the orings themselves arent rigid and its not easy to measure the groove. But I would have done the same thing ... I would have ordered 3 or 4 different sizes, atleast one size above and one below what I measured. Since the Orings are cheap, it is the shipping that costs the most and it;s the same price whether your order 2 orings or 10 ... so thats the best way to come closest to assuring you get the right one.

Glad you found the right size and thanks for reposting! I have it in my aquarium log now for future reference.

ive tried looking through and searching this thread without much luck. are there any posts that explain mods for the ex-1 to increase performance?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15440122#post15440122 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by milkit
ive tried looking through and searching this thread without much luck. are there any posts that explain mods for the ex-1 to increase performance?
First off. How to you have it set up now?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15440971#post15440971 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by USC-fan
First off. How to you have it set up now?

external, next to my sump, 3/4" tube fed from overflow, dumping back into sump. it skims fine now, just wondering if there are any "extras" im missing out on

anyone know how fast petorama is shipping now? I had to order a whole new pump (just the pump..$140 of course...stinks!) because mine started leaking more and more and I replaced all the O rings and tried to work with petorama on it to no avail. I only bought the skimmer less then 2 years ago...it started leaking a few months after purchase. I am hoping they ship fast since I am sick of cleaning up the mess but don't want to turn it off.....sigh....
Hey Darg...just so I know and can write it down....what size is the neck O-ring that you sent to me?
thanks!!

i live in dallas not far from pet-o-rama. in our local mas club i hear lots of stories of people just walking in and them changing out pumps no questions asked. Guess they arent as friendly to long distance buyers.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15440122#post15440122 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by milkit

My post dissapeared? I am also a happy EX-1 owner for about about a year now and I am also looking for ways to increase performance! DAS EX-1/2/3 all the way.. I want to upgrade to at least an EX-2 sometime soon.

Is the EX-3 worth the extra money? 699$ correct?

and Hi DarG!

-Chris

Milkit...hmm thats discouraging to say the least. I went around and around with them and they sent me O-rings etc and none of it solved the issues...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15442676#post15442676 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vickreyreef
anyone know how fast petorama is shipping now? I had to order a whole new pump (just the pump..$140 of course...stinks!) because mine started leaking more and more and I replaced all the O rings and tried to work with petorama on it to no avail. I only bought the skimmer less then 2 years ago...it started leaking a few months after purchase. I am hoping they ship fast since I am sick of cleaning up the mess but don't want to turn it off.....sigh....
Hey Darg...just so I know and can write it down....what size is the neck O-ring that you sent to me?
thanks!!

The EX-1 Neck O-ring size is (-233)
The EX-2 is ( - 237)

I get the O-rings from O-rings USA but the sizes stated are standard AS568 sizes so any O-ring matching those numbers from any vendor should be the same size.

The ones I sent are the Buna 70 O-rings. The Buna material is far more durable for the application than the Silcone O-rings that come/came with the skimmer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15443308#post15443308 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vickreyreef
DarG....as always you are the best! thanks

Youre welcome and thank you :)

I'm looking to buy a used DAS EX-1.......anybody out there have one? I'm in the DC area so you may need to ship it.

Thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15441321#post15441321 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by milkit
external, next to my sump, 3/4" tube fed from overflow, dumping back into sump. it skims fine now, just wondering if there are any "extras" im missing out on
seems that you got it working fine.

This skimmers are really max out and it not worth it to do any real mods...like mesh that some of the other skimmer use.

I also have an EX1 I have had it for about 2.5 years. I just gave it a massive cleaning yesterday and its running better than ever. I ran it on a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water for a few hours. I also had the pump leak a few months ago on a Sunday and did something really stupid. I used 2 part epoxy to seal it "just until Monday" but come Monday I couldn't get it apart. I only put a dab on it. Oh well it hasn't leaked since.

Thanks guys for having this thread. I was recently having trouble with my tank and mainly the skimmer. It wasn't bubbling as much as it used to. I have an EX1 and it used to pull out so much gunk from my 45 gallon system...and now on my upgrade to that system...a 60 gallon system...it seemed to stop skimming. I thought it was all to do with the ammount of water going in it...but sure enough I forgot to check everything. As it turned out the syphon tube had become clogged at the inlet switch. I took the switch off and the resulting influx of air forced me to throttle the water way down to stop it from flooding. I then tok a good look and realized that it was clogged with dust and dog hair...hehe. I cleaned it...and put it back. Made proper adjustments and now WOW....it's skimming like crazy again.

I wouldn't have checked that had it not been for me having seen ths thread and read back a few pages...

thanks guys

dave

I remember seeing a while back ago that another company makes the DAS skimmers with better acrylic and such. I believe it was www.proteinskimmer.com that link no longer works. I am looking to purchase an EX-2 or EX-3 for my new system and I am wondering if the best place and only place is still petorama. Anyone have any info on the better built DAS skimmers? Do they still make them? I have an EX-1 and if someone is looking to downgrade or trade + cash let me know. Thanks

-Chris

Back