DAS skimmer club

I have had a used EX-1 for about 2 weeks and it is a decent skimmer. It does nothing like an EX-2 that I had, but it should not be expected too.
The best mod I did for this EX-1 was cut a threaded bulkhead in 1/2 and screw it into the pump output inside the skimmer. I then attached a threaded piece of Y locline in the bulkhead, with two more pieces on each Y and pointed them down. I also drilled each piece with 3 holes. It really cut back on the turbulence inside the skimmer. I also added a gatevalve and now I dont have to screw around with the little air intake and I run it wide open. It is performing much better since the mod and is easier to control. good luck

I have had a used EX-1 for about 2 weeks and it is a decent skimmer. It does nothing like an EX-2 that I had, but it should not be expected too.
The best mod I did for this EX-1 was cut a threaded bulkhead in 1/2 and screw it into the pump output inside the skimmer. I then attached a threaded piece of Y locline in the bulkhead, with two more pieces on each Y and pointed them down. I also drilled each piece with 3 holes. It really cut back on the turbulence inside the skimmer. I also added a gatevalve and now I dont have to screw around with the little air intake and I run it wide open. It is performing much better since the mod and is easier to control. good luck

Any pics of this mod?

I have a DAS EX-1. It recently starting skimming a lot of water instead of the good stuff. What would cause that. I have made no changes since it was skimming the good stuff.

I would check your specific gravity, if that has changed I believe that effects the way a skimmer performs. Same thing just happened to me after a water change.

hey can anybody tell me where to get a replacement pump for a ex-2?? anywhere but petorama because they never told me when they shipped last time and it's impossible to get intouch with them

If anyone on this thread could please help me, I'd appreciate it. I have a BX-1 and I'm looking for a replacement pump. I tried a Catalina needle wheel but it isn't working well at all on this skimmer. I think it's just too much flow for the size of the chamber this skimmer has. I think any Sedra pumps would be too big also. I was thinking of maybe the Rio G300 needle wheel (used on ASM Mini G skimmers). Does anyone have any recommendations?

ok guys here is good one for you....I run ex-2 on 120 g for 2 years and had NICE thick dark smelly Goo every week, so i had no reason to wonder around my skimmer. Now im downgrading to 50 gallon and do not looking to by a skimmer right away...can i run one pump only and expect skimmer behave the same like ex-1?

I'm running my EX-1 now for over a year and a half now. I just recently found the best operating settings for my EX-1.

I run a 340-400gph feed pump wide open, but the skimmer raised off the ground with magazines and blocks until you can take the cup off the skimmer without having any water come out. To be as clear as possible is, if you take the cup off, the water is flush with the underseams of where the cut "screws" back in.

I then take the air valve and dial it down to only 70% air, this fills 80% of the column with fine bubbles and I get a very nice head of soft, tiny foam that raises 1/2 way up into the cup at normal operating range. I have had some nasty nasty skimmer poo, and very dark sludge and very dark skimmate water now. Give it a try. Does anyone else run their EX-1 like this?

Thanks, just wanted to help anyone out who is having difficulty fine tuning their EX-1.

-Chris

If anyone on this thread could please help me, I'd appreciate it. I have a BX-1 and I'm looking for a replacement pump. I tried a Catalina needle wheel but it isn't working well at all on this skimmer. I think it's just too much flow for the size of the chamber this skimmer has. I think any Sedra pumps would be too big also. I was thinking of maybe the Rio G300 needle wheel (used on ASM Mini G skimmers). Does anyone have any recommendations?

I would try the new tunze hydrofoamers. A small version, not sure on the nomenclature. I know they have a 3 year warranty also and are used on the Itech skimmers.

ok guys here is good one for you....I run ex-2 on 120 g for 2 years and had NICE thick dark smelly Goo every week, so i had no reason to wonder around my skimmer. Now im downgrading to 50 gallon and do not looking to by a skimmer right away...can i run one pump only and expect skimmer behave the same like ex-1?

I would just run both of the pumps. Running your Ex-2 on a smaller tank will do nothing but make things better I believe. Just my .02c

-Chris

I would just run both of the pumps. Running your Ex-2 on a smaller tank will do nothing but make things better I believe. Just my .02c

-Chris
thanks for input
i do not want to over skim 50 gallon set up with a skimmer rated for 300 g tank, but i was wondering if some one will have a thoughts on running EX-2 with ONE punp for a smaller tank

-Chris

thanks for input
i do not want to over skim 50 gallon set up with a skimmer rated for 300 g tank, but i was wondering if some one will have a thoughts on running EX-2 with ONE punp for a smaller tank

+1 on lyfeys idea.
I'm not sold on the hole over skimming idea. I use a ex2 on my little 55g with 10g sump with no problems.
I wouldn't worry to much about it. Less poo in the water is a good thing to me.:D

I sold my ex-1 awhile ago and now fully regret it. What was I thinking?:hmm4:

Anyone got an DAS ex-1 or ex-2 for sale please pm me.

Hopefully I can find one soon and be back in the DAS skimmer club. :)

Thanks

-Matthew

Back