DAS skimmer club

I have an EX-1 and I would like to get the water supply pump sized accurately. By that I mean sized to maximize the skimmer's effect.

History:
I have used an MJ1200 @295gph but that is too much because it just blows too many bubbles out the return. I tried an MJ600 @160gph but that does not get the bubbles high enough in the cup to go over the cup edge.

Does anyone know of a pump that is already sized to the proper GPH for this skimmer? Again meaning that the bubbles would go over the cup edge but not so many as to swarm the output/return.

I have the ex 2.
It has a ball valve at the input on the skimmer.
If the ex 1 does not have one I would just go to lowes or home depot and buy one, that way you can use the maxi 1200 and adjust it down to where you need it.
Make sense?

I noticed my EX1 leaked. First I filed down each face of the union connections to be flat. Then I ended up taking the leaking bulkhead off and cracking the acrylic cylinder. I cut out the cracks with a cut-out tool and filled with Weld-On #16. Then I siliconed the bulkhead back on with the pump attached.

I noticed the top and bottom union faces were not parallel so by letting the silicone cure in that position it made up for that imperfection.

What gets me is that I got another used EX1 and it too leaked in exactly the same place on the lower bulkhead. Both acrylic cylinders have an imperfection right where that bulkhead attaches. Poor manufacturing?

The first one Works Great!

The second one the cracks were worse and I am having to glue it back together in steps.

One more thing: A MJ900 seems to have flow very close to what is needed. I just barely had to tweak the valves closed for water and air.

I have DAS EX2 for sale in Illinois if anyone is interested. It is 2-3 years old, with spare parts for pumps. I will sell for $200 if that is fair, I will not ship.
John

On my second EX-1 the bottom part of the pump and plumbing is missing from the guy I bought it from.

Is there any way to get the bottom intake plumbing and pump bottom?

I have not been able to reach petorama by email or any of the stores by phone:headwally:. The phone numbers are non working and my emails are undeliverable. Does anyone know if they are still in business?

What would you say an ex-3 is worth now adays ? A local is selling one at 400 seems a bit high to me

Well that was the cost of the ex-2. Maybe talk him down a little bit. I still love my skimmer. Its design has been proven for years. It really is set and forget. DOnt have to worry about water level in your sump either.

I still love my ex-2, one of the best things I brought for my tank.

Still looking for any extra AB2001 pumps!! Please PM me if you have a working one.

I have not been able to reach petorama by email or any of the stores by phone:headwally:. The phone numbers are non working and my emails are undeliverable. Does anyone know if they are still in business?

I received a replacement BX-2 pump from Petorama yesterday.

Their website is actually petorama dot net. I phone ordered the pump from Troy at the Keller TX Petorama store at 817.753.7030. I first got through to their Mansfield TX store (817.453.2043), but their "fish guy" wasn't in when I called.

Jon

Anyone have a source for the o-ring on the Aquabee 2001 pump volute?
Tried a few o-rings similiar by eye from the local hardware stores but not quite doing the trick.

Back