Dawn's seahorse garden!

Today I began changing the HOT5 bulbs in the Coralife fixture. About 10 minutes after the change the tank began to get cloudy, which was puzzling to me. Then I noticed that some of the grape caulerpa was clear. I removed the entire clump into a 5 gallon bucket where I could prune off the dying sprigs. I also rescued the many micro stars and pods that were residing there. I guess the lights coming on probably triggered the spawn.

The seahorse tank must have never been lacking in nutrients, trace elements or magnesium because of the enormous bioload seahorses give off and the huge WCs necessary to keep them healthy. I did prune the caulerpa but it never went sexual on me in all the years I had it before.

I can see keeping it in this easy high nutrient system is going to require me to keep a close eye on its condition. Some of it was turning to mush, I guess from lack of nutrients. I removed 3/4s of it but it recovers quickly. I also dosed magnesium and trace elements.

I agree the new lights triggered your caulerpa melt down. My guess is that they were adapted to a stable nutrient and light level, and when the light got brighter, it 'sensed' it didn't have the nutrients to match the increased photosynthesis rate.

I agree the new lights triggered your caulerpa melt down. My guess is that they were adapted to a stable nutrient and light level, and when the light got brighter, it 'sensed' it didn't have the nutrients to match the increased photosynthesis rate.

Yes, I think so too.

Great vid! You've got a lot going on in there. Great selection of corals, macros, fish AND inverts. Is that pinkish thing behind the red grapes a sponge? I saw one of the barnacle blennies. Do they hang out in close proximity to each other? Some of mine do, some don't.

Great vid! You've got a lot going on in there. Great selection of corals, macros, fish AND inverts. Is that pinkish thing behind the red grapes a sponge? I saw one of the barnacle blennies. Do they hang out in close proximity to each other? Some of mine do, some don't.
Yes, the pinkish thing is actually purple and its a photosythetic sponge. It is very easy to keep and adds an interesting texture and pleasing color.

Both barnacle blennies are fairly close. You probably saw the first one dart out and get food. Right after that I pan over slightly to the left on the retaining wall to a rock sticking up. In that rock the other barnacle blenny is sticking part way out of its hole. They are close enough that they often switch holes which I find amusing.

I loved the video. All of the blennies are super cool! Your tank is incredible as well. Thanks for sharing that video. I'm sure that I'll watch it a few times today!

I loved the video. All of the blennies are super cool! Your tank is incredible as well. Thanks for sharing that video. I'm sure that I'll watch it a few times today!

Thanks Kevin! I credit you for helping to inform me with how much fun blennies can be. I really love them all for their unique qualities that they bring to the tank. They are perfect for a tank with a fair amount of rock that has lots of holes and crevises.

I'm so happy that they are fun for you. Due to your vids, I can enjoy them too! The striped fang blennies fill up the middle of the water column nicely. I wish they lived in the Chesapeake :)

I'm so happy that they are fun for you. Due to your vids, I can enjoy them too! The striped fang blennies fill up the middle of the water column nicely. I wish they lived in the Chesapeake :)

I like the striped fang blennies for their time in the middle of the water column too. Yet at night they do the blenny thing and look for a coco worm tube or a barnacle to sleep in. And I think their color is nice also.

I noticed that the shaving brushes are developing new growth to replace the dying growth from their move to my tank. I am really excited about that because shaving brush is definitely one of my favorites. The halimeda also looks to have new growth. Some former halimeda that I had is also growing and none of them have hair algae which is really encouraging.

I think I will get a couple RFAs for on the sand of the retaining wall plateau. They will be easy to feed there and hopefully its a spot that they will stay put.

I would like to get several recordia for on the plating rock skeleton on the left. That will add nice color on that side of the tank.

So there is an update along with some future plans.

That's great news about your shaving brush and halimeda. I saw the die off and worried. You've got quite the pair of tanks, Dawn! You're having your cake and eating it too!

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful Christmas with kids and grandkids. They left today and now we are looking forward to getting back to real life again. However before we do, Santa-hubby got me an Ice Cap gyre for Christmas. I am excited to see how it works in my tank.

Back