Dawn's seahorse garden!

“And of course, I want more macro algae.”

I absolutely love your tank. I am not familiar with the Red Titan. You mentioned it growing fast. Can you post some close up picture of Red Titan? How does it attach?

I absolutely love your tank. I am not familiar with the Red Titan. You mentioned it growing fast. Can you post some close up picture of Red Titan? How does it attach?

Thanks Patrick, actually I have been following your 25 year old plenum tank and your new build and I love your tanks! Along with Michael's tank, your tanks inspired me to make this change. I wanted more of that look for my seahorse tank.

To be honest, I am not sure that the red fast growing macro is red titan. It looks like a macro that I bought from 'got2envy' and she called it red titan. Her variety however grows painfully slow. This macro that I got at my lfs grows really fast and if a piece breaks off it can attach itself to almost anything. I have it growing on rock, on the holder of my powerhead and even on the overflow. Its easy enough to remove but could probably considered invasive. I will take a close up 2hen the lights come on.

Great thread! It was fun to see it evolve. It seems like a tricky proposition keeping it super clean, while wanting to make it more natural. I feel your pain! I look forward to more.

Great thread! It was fun to see it evolve. It seems like a tricky proposition keeping it super clean, while wanting to make it more natural. I feel your pain! I look forward to more.
Like so many aspects I will be walking a fine line...which is SCARY! But nothing ventured, nothing gained. I am employing a lot more cuc. I already have 4 peppermint shrimp and I plan to get 5 or so nassarius snails. I have 2 bee snails that will eat trapped mysis. Today I attempted to vacume the SSB but the cheap syphon clean I bought was worthless. Maybe I will just rigorously stir the SSB once a week. I have over 2200 gph of flow in a 56 gallon tank so its pretty robust. I have the bulk of it directed at the lower portion of the retaining wall. That way stuff is lifted up to the overflow and filtered, at least in theory.

The other long range plan is I think these will be my last seahorses. Now my 2 yearlings should still have 4 years in them or more but I will probably move to more blennies, gobies and inverts. In fact I may start adding some fish in the near future.

I agree, you're walking a tightrope! I'm sure it's making you a better aquarist for the future. I can see how you might like to go with something less demanding, down the line. In the meantime, I look forward to following along with you on your seahorse adventure!

https://youtu.be/BBYuL8N2mZM
Sorry about the link, I don't know how to embed a video. The ponies seem to know that its valentines day, ha ha. Its a bit of a soap opera though. Samson is flexing his pouch to impress Delilah who feels like she is too young to be making fry. (They are about 15 years old in human years). Samson's antics do not however go unnoticed and Eve, the cougar ( who is about 60 years old in human years) is quick to respond. That is apparently not quite what Samson had in mind and he basically tells her to get lost. They can be so dramatic!

I've kept yellowhead jawfish and also dusky jawfish in the past. Even though the dusky is much less colorful, it's much better at building, maintaining, and staying in its burrow, and has a ton of personality. They have a large mouth though, so small shrimp might be a snack for them. But then again, maybe that is true for adult yellowheads as well, I'm not sure. Also, my dusky lived for many years and I had a much tougher time keeping yellowheads alive (in addition to them always trying to leap out of the tank, even through the smallest of holes). Perhaps a good compromise would be the blue spotted jawfish.

Also, regarding your sandbed, if you decide to keep jawfish, then you'll need to add a bunch of coral rubble, shells and such so they can build their burrows, and maybe also mix in some larger grain sand and gravel.

I enjoyed your vid! The soap opera element is so fun. This is why I like to keep multiples of each species. Their natural interactions are entertainment gold! Your tank looks great too! Lots of fun colors and textures. I love the aqua scape!

I've kept yellowhead jawfish and also dusky jawfish in the past. Even though the dusky is much less colorful, it's much better at building, maintaining, and staying in its burrow, and has a ton of personality. They have a large mouth though, so small shrimp might be a snack for them. But then again, maybe that is true for adult yellowheads as well, I'm not sure. Also, my dusky lived for many years and I had a much tougher time keeping yellowheads alive (in addition to them always trying to leap out of the tank, even through the smallest of holes). Perhaps a good compromise would be the blue spotted jawfish.

Also, regarding your sandbed, if you decide to keep jawfish, then you'll need to add a bunch of coral rubble, shells and such so they can build their burrows, and maybe also mix in some larger grain sand and gravel.
Thank you for all the info Chasmodes. I would prefer a sturdier jawfish so I will definitely remember the other options. Also considering that jawfish like rubble and larger grain sand maybe they are better procured after I am done with ponies.
I will probably start with some small gobies, blennies and cardinal fish while I still have ponies.

I enjoyed your vid! The soap opera element is so fun. This is why I like to keep multiples of each species. Their natural interactions are entertainment gold! Your tank looks great too! Lots of fun colors and textures. I love the aqua scape!
Ha ha, nothing like a love triangle to add excitement to a tank, (as long as there is no blood!).:uzi:
Thanks Michael. I like the colors and textures too. Last night I was looking at GCE and dreaming. They had sargassum available which I would really like to have along with more sponges and a ricordia pack.

I especially like how you have corals mixed in with your plants. Since they already look like plants, it works!

I've been looking at that sargassum too. With the redo coming up, I'm waiting.

Again I apologise for taking so long to get this close up of what I call red titan, but here it is. I use a galaxy phone so this is as good a pic as I can get.

2018-02-14_04-20-26 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

I especially like how you have corals mixed in with your plants. Since they already look like plants, it works!

I've been looking at that sargassum too. With the redo coming up, I'm waiting.
A lot of coral are not seahorse safe but many of the sturdiest softies are. That is why my tank is so full of ordinary mushrooms, xenia, and plain ol' palys. They tolerate the cool temperature well and its better than just LR or fake coral. The photosynthetic gorgonians really add a lot of interest and movement which I like. Also I have a nice purple photosynthetic sponge that is easy to keep and pretty. Its in the post above this one. Here is a pretty garden like pic:

2018-02-14_04-20-07 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

Did you mention if Red Titan attached to rock or substrate. I do recal you saying that it grew very fast. Is it slippery to the touch like Halymenia?

I have not been able to post pictures to this site, but I will link you to what I have. It is a very fast grower, does not attach and is very slippery to the touch.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/3551/dragons-tongue-algae?pcatid=3551&c=497+3752+3551

I do not feel the picture is representative of what is sold. The Dragon's Tongue I received from two separate sources in Florida is more open with the foliage showing the alternating colors of red that make it so attractive. I don't know why that picture was selected, to me it is unattractive compared to what I grew out.

Dawn, your red titan looks a lot like grasilaria hayi to me. Also it looks great.

That purple thing is a photosynthetic sponge? I though it was mushrooms! That's gorgeous! Now I'm jealous! I've kept a blue photosynthetic sponge before and loved it.

Love the garden pic too! Your combinations are inspiring.

Did you mention if Red Titan attached to rock or substrate. I do recal you saying that it grew very fast. Is it slippery to the touch like Halymenia?

I have not been able to post pictures to this site, but I will link you to what I have. It is a very fast grower, does not attach and is very slippery to the touch.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/3551/dragons-tongue-algae?pcatid=3551&c=497+3752+3551

I do not feel the picture is representative of what is sold. The Dragon’s Tongue I received from two separate sources in Florida is more open with the foliage showing the alternating colors of red that make it so attractive. I don’t know why that picture was selected, to me it is unattractive compared to what I grew out.

The red titan attaches to everything, rock included. Not necessarily where you want it to however. Right now there is a piece attached to the overflow, and pieces attached to the clamp that holds the tunze powerhead. Ha ha, there is even red titan growing on one of my trocus snails. It is easily enough removed, not that it will stay gone! I have never seen it attached to the substrate however.

O wow Patrick, that is nothing like what I call dragon's breath but then maybe dragon's tongue and dragon's breath are 2 different algaes. My dragon's breath also does not attach, is red with orange tips where the light is strongest and is not slippery.

I do not feel the picture is representative of what is sold. The Dragon’s Tongue I received from two separate sources in Florida is more open with the foliage showing the alternating colors of red that make it so attractive. I don’t know why that picture was selected, to me it is unattractive compared to what I grew out.

This is what my dragon's breath looks like.

2018-02-14_09-12-44 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

Dawn, your red titan looks a lot like grasilaria hayi to me. Also it looks great.

That purple thing is a photosynthetic sponge? I though it was mushrooms! That's gorgeous! Now I'm jealous! I've kept a blue photosynthetic sponge before and loved it.

Love the garden pic too! Your combinations are inspiring.

I will have to compare my red titan with grasilaria hayi. Whatever it is, I like the way it grows horizonally.

Yep, its a photosynthetic sponge. It is gorgeous and its easy to grow too. I love it.

My pics always look best when I can concentrate on only a portion of the tank. That way I can look for colors and textures that contrasts and compliment each other. I appreciate the encouragement because I consider myself really poor at the photography end of things.

Dave, my hubby took me to a nice lfs for my birthday. I was pleased that they had lots of captive bred fish. Its a risk adding fish to a seahorse tank but captive bred are less risky since they are more disease free. I came home with 2 mandarin gobies (male and female I hope), a yellow watchman goby and a pajama cardinalfish. And I asked them for some of their green grape caulerpa. I have lots of macros but did not have that one.

The fish are in QT now and will be for at least a week. I will take pics when they relax a bit.

I love that photosynthetic sponge too!
It grows in a shape form like Monti Cap, but faster.
6d90e2457113be3cc14c9bf64581817a.jpg

Back