Dawn's seahorse garden!

A little more info, probably more helpful:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8601460&postcount=4

If he behaves, he should be very entertaining ;)

Thanks Chasmodes. You know, I did not think his face was very blenny like, especially his googly eyes that articulate independently. I will have to watch him closely. He definitely likes to eat but since the ponies eat from a dish it's been ok with them. I just squirt a little mysis Whiplash's way and he's on it. So far so good but time will tell.

Whiplash is quite beautiful too ;)
Yes, he is quite beautiful and has quite an outgoing personality. He is bold 'in your face' but I have not seen him exhibit any aggresion toward the other inhabitants. I was especially worried about the mandarins since their shape is a little like his. Yesterday the female crawled right over his head and he did nothing at all so I think everything will be ok, as long as I feed him well. He is greedy about food, ha ha.

Yes, he is quite beautiful and has quite an outgoing personality. He is bold 'in your face' but I have not seen him exhibit any aggresion toward the other inhabitants. I was especially worried about the mandarins since their shape is a little like his. Yesterday the female crawled right over his head and he did nothing at all so I think everything will be ok, as long as I feed him well. He is greedy about food, ha ha.

That's great! He sounds like a fun addition to your tank! :beer:

How is everything Dawn? The new guy doing well?
Thanks for asking Kevin. Unfortunately Whiplash is not playing well with others. I caught him attacking the larger pajama cardinal, Jammies totally for no reason. Also Whiplash swims into the seahorses' food bowl swishing their food all over the place, even though I first squirt food for him to eat. He's cute as a button but he sure is a stinker.

I have a diy fish trap that I need to try and catch him with. I am sure that I could never get him with a net without totally freaking out the ponies.

Sorry to hear that, I was hoping that he'd work out for you. Good luck catching him. Any thoughts on a replacement species?

Sorry to hear that, I was hoping that he'd work out for you. Good luck catching him. Any thoughts on a replacement species?

Well I caught him, PTL. His greediness about food made it relatively easy. I just added frozen mysis into the bottle trap and Whiplash just went right in after it.

I am not sure what I should put in to replace him. After going through this I am not in a hurry. Right now poor Whiplash is in the feeder shrimp tank. It has good water quality but is only a 5.5 gallon tank. I may need to rehome him.

This is a lesson to all those who are greedy :p:D

I'd suggest barnacle blennies or perhaps Caribbean sailfin blennies. They're small and not aggressive to other species, and the barnacle blennies most likely will keep to their holes and dart out of them to feed. And, they only get about 2" max size.

This is a lesson to all those who are greedy :p:D

I'd suggest barnacle blennies or perhaps Caribbean sailfin blennies. They're small and not aggressive to other species, and the barnacle blennies most likely will keep to their holes and dart out of them to feed. And, they only get about 2" max size.
Thanks Kevin, I will keep that in mind.

2018-03-21_03-23-33 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr
Here is a shot that shows all my tanks together in our livingroom. The jar on the left is for a reef jar contest. That ends March 31 at which time I will be moving the rock and coral into Whiplash's aio tank. Hopefully Whiplash will not bother the pom pom crab who lives currently in the reef jar.

Nice pic and cool setup!

I'm not certain but I think Whiplash WILL bother (eat) your pom pom crab. Can you put the crab in the big tank?

Back